Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Movie : Falling Down 1993

RochesterRob

RochesterRob

Given the extraordinary pressures many people are under currently made me think about this movie.  Basically, the Michael Douglas character gets runs over by life but at the same time he has his own flaws and imperfections.  Given how much coarser society has become between 1993 and now I wonder how many people are prone to snapping in one form or another but not to the extent of the character D'Fens.  One thing that resonated with me watching it shortly after it hit the rental market back in the 1990's was how ground down D'Fens was by society.  I am not going to ramble on for an OP.  I would just caution against any statements in support of racism as that is NOT the reason for starting this thread.  There are many movies that have impactful statements about society but few that are as far reaching as this one.  Maybe as a way to get this rolling I will do the old "things that I learned from this movie."  Always let a man pass through a golf course who is wearing a military type outfit and a gym bag that appears stiffened by an unknown to you object unchallenged.  

• Like 3

Seasons1992

I LOVE this movie. 

While living in Buffalo until 1995, one of the church members (when I went to church as a kid) looked JUST LIKE Michael Douglas in that movie. My brother and I would always reference "Falling Down" when we saw him.

Then I gave my brother the DVD for Xmas one year and he laughed a lot.

Great movie. Y'all should watch it.

• Like 4

MothersMilk

Great great movie, I agree... everyone should watch this one. It's for sure in my top 25 of all time.

"I'm rolling back prices to 1965":

• Like 4

On 3/20/2022 at 9:40 PM, Uncle Joe said:

There were many times  I wanted a burger before 11am./

Side note: there was a Wendy's I did some work at years ago.  This is before they rolled out breakfast at all locations.  This franchise owner would open the store at 8am, instead of the usual 10am, because his reasoning was if the employees were there prepping for the day, they could be selling burgers.  And they did have customers coming in for burgers that early they told me, typically 3rd shift people on their way home. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Side note: there was a Wendy's I did some work at years ago.  This is before they rolled out breakfast at all locations.  This franchise owner would open the store at 8am, instead of the usual 10am, because his reasoning was if the employees were there prepping for the day, they could be selling burgers.  And they did have customers coming in for burgers that early they told me, typically 3rd shift people on their way home. 

Makes good business sense.

If you want to see a microcosm of everything in this movie and all that is wrong with modern American society and culture, spend any amount of time in a big box store and just people-watch. 

The thing thats great about this movie is that EVERY character, including his mother and ex-wife, with the exception of Duval, absolutely "had it coming." Thats not to D-Fend Douglas' character, mind you.

Edited by RkFast
  • Like 1

RochesterRob
1 hour ago, RkFast said:

If you want to see a microcosm of everything in this movie and all that is wrong with modern American society and culture, spend any amount of time in a big box store and just people-watch. 

The thing thats great about this movie is that EVERY character, including his mother and ex-wife, with the exception of Duval, absolutely "had it coming." Thats not to D-Fend Douglas' character, mind you.

I could quibble some over his mother having it coming.  She was oblivious when the cops were talking to her but she definitely could have been a contributor to his behavior as an adult.  We just don't know for sure and that it often how life works in reality.  People can be sweet as pie in public but completely miserable when out of view of others.