Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Movies you can’t stop watching

shrader

Deranged Rhino
1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Not sure I’ve ever made it to the end of True Lies, but the first 20 minutes are great, I’ve probably seen it a dozen times.

It’s worth the full viewing - it really is two movies in one (an action spy thriller, and a comedic family movie) but it works. Cameron is just a master of genre flicks. 

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Lots of good ones mentioned already. I'm a movie junkie so my tastes are all over the board. It's weird since I cut the cord in that I never "stumble" across movies anymore but have to seek them out on my own. Here are 10 (I think unnamed so far) that I often revisit: 

Heat

Rocky 

Last Samurai 

Shawshank Redemption

The Abyss
True Lies

Out of Sight

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Hot Fuzz
Almost Famous

+ Many more.

Just about anything by James Cameron or Michael Mann, really.  

Collateral has surprising rewatch value.

• Like 1

Deranged Rhino
45 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Just about anything by James Cameron or Michael Mann, really.  

Collateral has surprising rewatch value.

It absolutely does. Almost made the list and probably would have on another day. 

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

You should at least get to the end of the movie with Tia Carrera and Jamie Lee Curtis fighting in the back of a limo (back when they were both really hot) while the limo is about to drive off a bridge into the ocean with Arnold overhead hanging from a helicopter being flown by Tom Arnold. 

One of the great edge-of-your seat rescue scenes.

You mention Curtis but leave out the striptease scene?

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It’s worth the full viewing - it really is two movies in one (an action spy thriller, and a comedic family movie) but it works. Cameron is just a master of genre flicks. 

True Lies co-headlines my "Bill Paxton dies" film festival.  Aliens is, of course, at the top.  Also includes Tombstone, Terminator, Predator 2.

Yeah, I know...Simon only dies because Harry fantasizes about killing him.  It's still on-screen, so I still count it.

• Love 1

23 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Also includes Tombstone, Terminator, Predator 2.

Gawd I love that movie!

I don't have cable or watch much OTA TV to channel surf into this classic.  But it shows up in my recommended list on Amazon Prime, and every once in a while when I can't find something else to stream...

eS5naWY.gif.

On a related note, Amazon only has it rated 7.8 out of 10.  Which is total garbage, especially when you consider Amazon's user reviews give it 5 stars, and digging deeper 90% of users rated it 5 stars

https://www.amazon.com/Tombstone-Kurt-Russell/dp/B003SI84D6

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, shrader said:

You mention Curtis but leave out the striptease scene?

Probably because I was more surprised she was dancing to a relatively unknown John Hiatt song called "Alone in the Dark" from one of my favorite JH albums, "Bring the Family."

And while she was hot and sexy and all that, the song is a really sad song which, if you listen to the lyrics, doesn't fit the scene.

She gets bonus points, however, for finding just the right groove for her dancing and then, suddenly, losing her grip on the bed's footboard and taking a ridiculously funny nosedive.

Crap Throwing Clavin

Ruthless People

Recently saw it again, and only recently realized it was an Abrahams/Zucker/Zucker movie, which explains why I find it so funny.

Also a rare movie in which I find Bette Midler tolerable - even funny.  Also the role Bill Pullman was born to play: "a complete moron"/"the stupidest person on the face of the earth."

• Haha 1
  • FANtastic 1

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Also the role Bill Pullman was born to play: "a complete moron"/"the stupidest person on the face of the earth."

Born in Hornell, NY .

As the sign proudly announces as you drive into town.

• Like 2

I watched bits and pieces of The Maltese Falcon over the years. About 10 years ago I watched the whole thing start to finish  on AMC or TCM (Can't remember which).  What a great movie.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 4/2/2022 at 3:10 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

Lots of good ones mentioned already. I'm a movie junkie so my tastes are all over the board. It's weird since I cut the cord in that I never "stumble" across movies anymore but have to seek them out on my own. Here are 10 (I think unnamed so far) that I often revisit: 

Heat

Rocky 

Last Samurai 

Shawshank Redemption

The Abyss
True Lies

Out of Sight

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Hot Fuzz
Almost Famous

+ Many more.

Almost Famous is the one from your list that jumps out to me.  I'm sure I've seen it at least a dozen times, probably more.  

That was Cameron Crowe's magnum opus, and sadly, his last memorable feature film after a very promising start to his career as a writer and director.  It has the fun "wouldn't it be cool" adventure element, but what really sets it apart is the way he depicts the various situations and personalities with just enough exaggeration to illustrate the point, but with enough subtlety to give the characters a real 3 dimensional feel you can relate to.

I've never heard him say it, but I kind of think that after that he felt he'd told his story and his inspiration faded. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 4/3/2022 at 1:52 PM, B-Man said:

Born in Hornell, NY .

As the sign proudly announces as you drive into town.

Ick. We call Steuben County 'Stupid County' for a reason. Some day, I'll have to tell you how their jail lost one of my clients...

• Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Koko said:

Some day, I'll have to tell you how their jail lost one of my clients...

Please tell me they found him under the couch...

• Haha 1

RochesterRob
2 hours ago, Koko said:

Ick. We call Steuben County 'Stupid County' for a reason. Some day, I'll have to tell you how their jail lost one of my clients...

A county which has Corning Glass can't be all bad?  Can it?  

Deranged Rhino
On 4/3/2022 at 10:07 PM, Robs House said:

Almost Famous is the one from your list that jumps out to me.  I'm sure I've seen it at least a dozen times, probably more.  

That was Cameron Crowe's magnum opus, and sadly, his last memorable feature film after a very promising start to his career as a writer and director.  It has the fun "wouldn't it be cool" adventure element, but what really sets it apart is the way he depicts the various situations and personalities with just enough exaggeration to illustrate the point, but with enough subtlety to give the characters a real 3 dimensional feel you can relate to.

I've never heard him say it, but I kind of think that after that he felt he'd told his story and his inspiration faded. 

Crowe is one of my personal heroes as a writer. Another one is Billy Wilder - and darn it if he and Crowe didn’t become friends at the end of Billy’s life. Crowe wrote a book about it (it’s really pictures with captions more than a book), I forget the title. Highly recommend you check it out if you haven’t already. 

I got to meet him just once when I was a peon at a production company. I was working the door for a screening, it was a big hush hush thing at the time so they had a whole rigamarole we (as peons) were supposed to subject these big names who were here to see the flick. I notice Cameron in the back of the line while everyone else is fawning over Jim from the Office/Jack Ryan. Completely patient, and anonymous because none of the other peons working the door with me recognized him. So I waved him in (ahead of Dwight from The Office oddly enough😂), he’s trying to show me his ID but I told him that it wasn’t needed and that I was a fan. 

He goes inside, the movie starts. I figure that’s it. Within the first five minutes of the movie starting, he comes back out and talk about writing and movies with me for 15 minutes just because. Still my favorite “celebrity” encounter. But I’d say from that conversation which was well past Almost Famous, your theory has merit. Not that he said that at all - but based on the war stories he was sharing, it wouldn’t shock me. 

Edited by Deranged Rhino
  • Like 3

On 4/3/2022 at 9:39 AM, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Also a rare movie in which I find Bette Midler tolerable - even funny.

Bette Midler was so good in "The Rose," that when I saw her doing an interview after I saw the movie, I found myself surprised that she was still alive.

That said, her stuff is limited. But if you haven't seen "Parental Guidance," it's absolutely worth the watch. She and Billy Crystal are pretty terrific. It's just a straight-up feel-good movie. Not a lot of depth. But it's pretty funny. And then there's Marisa Tomei, who I could watch while she was just eating breakfast.

On 4/2/2022 at 5:10 PM, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

True Lies co-headlines my "Bill Paxton dies" film festival.  Aliens is, of course, at the top.  Also includes Tombstone, Terminator, Predator 2.

Yeah, I know...Simon only dies because Harry fantasizes about killing him.  It's still on-screen, so I still count it.

Please tell me you had Weird Science on the list.  Him smacking Anthony Michael Hall and Suzanne Snyder on the head with his shotgun remains of the most hilarious scenes in movie history.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Please tell me you had Weird Science on the list.  Him smacking Anthony Michael Hall and Suzanne Snyder on the head with his shotgun remains of the most hilarious scenes in movie history.

I do not, only because it's a "Bill Paxton dies" film festival, and he survives that movie.  

23 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I do not, only because it's a "Bill Paxton dies" film festival, and he survives that movie.  

Ahh....now I understand the theme.  Very appropriately dark.