Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Hate to spend the money but need a new car

Fansince88

Going to test drive a CR-V EXL tomorrow. Any reviews here? Thoughts.  I have been a Honda driver most of my life. When I didnt drive one I regretted it at about 120k miles. 09 Civic has 192k on it and the rocker panels look like a surf barrel. New body, shocks, brakes, and headlights and it would go another 100k but I live in NNY

Crap Throwing Clavin

Try and get it above the speed limit.  I've never seen a CR-V on the road go any faster than five miles below the speed limit, and I'm curious if the vehicle is even capable of it.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Try and get it above the speed limit.  I've never seen a CR-V on the road go any faster than five miles below the speed limit, and I'm curious if the vehicle is even capable of it.  

Per the reviews it cuts out at 104mph. I know what you are talking about and that is important for me. I pass as much of them as Subaru drivers on the road. The only difference is Subaru drivers I pass stay in the passing lane. The fact that most of the CR-V drivers are white haired concerns me too.  I do 63 the 55mph, 73-75 in the 65 and 79ish in the 70 mph zones. The toss up is between the Pilot Max 27mpg or the CR-V Max 33 mpg. Im replacing a civic that gets me 31mpg. I drive 3 miles of back road, then 8 miles of county road than 2 miles @30mph in the village 1 way to work. So it would be more the mixed MPG of 24 Pilot and 29 CR-V. If we had Trump fuel prices I would  go with Pilot in a heartbeat.

My daughter has been driving two consecutive CR-Vs for almost 10 years. We wanted her to drive that because she was going to school up in Geneseo.  I’ve taken that on road trips up to WNY in winter because of the AWD.  Neither of us are granny drivers.  She hit a decent-size deer in her first CRV while up at school. No appreciable damage.  

I had owned the CRV and a Subaru Forester at the same time.  I loved that Forester but I have to admit that the CRV is better in the snow.  I’m talking about roads that have seen several inches and haven’t yet been plowed.  In fact, we took a road trip up to Stratton, VT in February.  We took the CRV because snow was in the forecast.  It snowed about 4” overnight (and all that day — it wound up to be at least a foot of heavy snow) and before the plows hit the roads, we drove some nice twisty mountain ways for a half hour trip (on dry roads) to get to the slopes.  No problem. Stratton closes at 4:00, so that afternoon we again drove in a lot of snow to get back to LI.  No problem.

I did all the skiing.  Mrs snafu did all the driving.  She’s the granny driver of the family, but the car handled well.  

4 hours ago, snafu said:

My daughter has been driving two consecutive CR-Vs for almost 10 years. We wanted her to drive that because she was going to school up in Geneseo.  I’ve taken that on road trips up to WNY in winter because of the AWD.  Neither of us are granny drivers.  She hit a decent-size deer in her first CRV while up at school. No appreciable damage.  

I had owned the CRV and a Subaru Forester at the same time.  I loved that Forester but I have to admit that the CRV is better in the snow.  I’m talking about roads that have seen several inches and haven’t yet been plowed.  In fact, we took a road trip up to Stratton, VT in February.  We took the CRV because snow was in the forecast.  It snowed about 4” overnight (and all that day — it wound up to be at least a foot of heavy snow) and before the plows hit the roads, we drove some nice twisty mountain ways for a half hour trip (on dry roads) to get to the slopes.  No problem. Stratton closes at 4:00, so that afternoon we again drove in a lot of snow to get back to LI.  No problem.

I did all the skiing.  Mrs snafu did all the driving.  She’s the granny driver of the family, but the car handled well.  

Mmmmm. Send me some pizza! Best in the world hands down. 

• Like 1

So, test drive done. @Crap Throwing Monkey, the crv runs at 80 just fine and gets there faster than I thought a small car would. It is a 1.5 turbo. Bit of lag off the line but after that cruises nicely. Motor was a bit noisy. All in all I decided on the 18 Pilot they had. 1000 less but 22k miles more on it. More functional for my needs and a quieter ride for those long road trips. @snafuwhat years were they? 16 they went to the 1.5 turbo rather than the 2.0 which was a quieter motor.   Brides Odyssey will be traded in about a year from now for a CR-V EXL or Touring. Perhaps the more powerful hybrid.

10 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

So, test drive done. @Crap Throwing Monkey, the crv runs at 80 just fine and gets there faster than I thought a small car would. It is a 1.5 turbo. Bit of lag off the line but after that cruises nicely. Motor was a bit noisy. All in all I decided on the 18 Pilot they had. 1000 less but 22k miles more on it. More functional for my needs and a quieter ride for those long road trips. @snafuwhat years were they? 16 they went to the 1.5 turbo rather than the 2.0 which was a quieter motor.   Brides Odyssey will be traded in about a year from now for a CR-V EXL or Touring. Perhaps the more powerful hybrid.

Leased a ‘13. Then bought a ‘16 that she still drives.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
54 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

So, test drive done. @Crap Throwing Monkey, the crv runs at 80 just fine and gets there faster than I thought a small car would. 

Got it.  So not the car, it's the drivers who are &#%$ing slow-ass meatheads.

4 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

A 4 cylinder Honda? Blame it on the chipmunks under the hood.

49 minutes ago, Ann said:

A 4 cylinder Honda? Blame it on the chipmunks under the hood.

With Turbo sista! LOL. Turbo does make it growl. 

54 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Lead, follow or get the heck out of the way. Also, THE LEFT LANE IS FOR PASSING!PASS AND THEN PULL RIGHT!

CarpetCrawler
12 hours ago, snafu said:

My wife and daughter have CR-V's, and my son and I have Foresters. Both great, dependable vehicles that you can't go wrong with. All the CR-V's don't have AWD, so be careful. The biggest differences I see are comfort and visibility. The Forester is much more comfortable on 2H+ drives, and there is so much more visibility driving the it. The CR-V always seems a bit cramped to me and it's almost impossible to see anything out of the back. The Forester gives a good 360* panorama view and you really see the curbs well in the side view mirrors when you park it. And it's funny, but I've had the opposite experience in snow, the tires on my wife's CR-V will slip a bit in snow, but I even try to make my Forester lose traction and it just doesn't slip. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

With Turbo sista! LOL. Turbo does make it growl. 

That means it is upgraded to squirrels?