Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Solar Back-Up Power

The Guy In Pants

The Guy In Pants

Who's got 'em and who are you using?

The gasoline backups I have are great but am looking into more sustainable options. Portability is a must.

Looking at the main players in the industry and the technology they're using; it appears the big 3 are Bluetti, EcoFlow and Jackery. 

I am looking really hard at EcoFlow. They have some new technology coming out that is quite appealing if things are what they say they will be. 

The Guy In Pants

If anyone is interested; I did find someone local who has the ecoflow and the bluetti. The ecoflow seems to be of higher quality materials. Anyway; I am still no further in my decision making process as I am trying to build a DIY system to weigh costs. 

• Like 2

We are putting in a whole house generator at the new house. 🤷‍♂️  Good luck with the solar option!

Alaska Darin
On 5/5/2022 at 6:27 AM, Ann said:

We are putting in a whole house generator at the new house. 🤷‍♂️  Good luck with the solar option!

This was the direction we went.  Of course since we got it over a decade ago we've lost power for a total of maybe 2 hours.  Chance really does favor the prepared.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
The Guy In Pants

The Delta Max is great. Pairing it with two 8500 watt gas gens I repaired. Love it because of its vast array of charging capabilities and the fact that it charges while powering with the pass through charging tech. Can use the gas gens less with this addition. Use them only when needed and can use them to fast charge the power station. 

I have not assembled the solar panels yet but plan on mounting them to a small trailer I’m putting together. Easier to move and can store completely assembled.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 2:58 PM, Alaska Darin said:

This was the direction we went.  Of course since we got it over a decade ago we've lost power for a total of maybe 2 hours.  Chance really does favor the prepared.

We put one in after the “October Surprise” in 2006. The electric company decided to move our subdivision to a different substation after that storm, so probably didn’t use it for a week total the last 15 years. It was still worth having, IMO. 

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
2 minutes ago, Ann said:

We put one in after the “October Surprise” in 2006. The electric company decided to move our subdivision to a different substation after that storm, so probably didn’t use it for a week total the last 15 years. It was still worth having, IMO. 

Agreed.  It's kinda funny whenever the power goes out to look around and see literally zero lights on anywhere in view but we're sitting there just living our lives normally.

Just now, Alaska Darin said:

Agreed.  It's kinda funny whenever the power goes out to look around and see literally zero lights on anywhere in view but we're sitting there just living our lives normally.

The subdivision we just moved to has a few powered by sunken propane tanks. As soon as natural gas comes in, we are installing a whole house generator. If, for some reason, the natural gas plans do not come to fruition this year, we will go the sink-the-propane-tank route next year.

Hurricanes are bad enough, and I’m too old to rough it with losing power after one hits.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Building a home in FL (much pain).  Chose solar roof option initially.  Thinking about removing it as payback is nearly 10 years and the solar roof apparently won't provide any useable power on a sunny day if the grid is down.  Seems like there should be a way to switch and regulate the solar power in the event of a grid outage but they tell me no without a battery system which is pricey.  Disappointed as we were really wanting to do this.  Still might but it's not as compelling.