Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Buffalo Bills 2022 Draft Pick: Round 6, Pick #180: P - Matt Araiza - San Diego State [released]

Bills Fans

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Blessed Believer said:

Absolutely love this pick. Fills another huge need. 

Bills had the second-fewest punts the past two seasons (94.  Chiefs had 92.)

Punter is a huge need for teams like the Jets (82 punts in 2020) or Texans (88 punts in 2021).   Teams whose punters barely qualify statistically as punters do not have a huge need for punters.

24 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Bills had the second-fewest punts the past two seasons (94.  Chiefs had 92.)

Punter is a huge need for teams like the Jets (82 punts in 2020) or Texans (88 punts in 2021).   Teams whose punters barely qualify statistically as punters do not have a huge need for punters.

Yeah, butchagaddaknow he’sgonnamake at least onefreakinimpossible highlightreel next season thatllbeworthit. 

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Nanker said:

Yeah, butchagaddaknow he’sgonnamake at least onefreakinimpossible highlightreel next season thatllbeworthit. 

Hey, I'm happy the Bills drafted him - when you need a big punt, you tend to need it badly.

But "punter" wasn't a "big need."  This isn't 2006.

Fansince88

Am I alone in the "how good does he punt from the 45" crowd? This is where we will need to punt more often than from the 20yd line. Those penalty stopping plays that put us just too far to chance the turnover on downs. Can he put it up and have it land on the 3yd line? 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
22 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Am I alone in the "how good does he punt from the 45" crowd? This is where we will need to punt more often than from the 20yd line. Those penalty stopping plays that put us just too far to chance the turnover on downs. Can he put it up and have it land on the 3yd line? 

From some of the highlights I've seen (I've been hunting for more than just his 70+ yard punts), he can punt from the 45, and get enough hang time to down it himself at the 5.

• Cheers 2
  • FANtastic 2

Fansince88
1 minute ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

From some of the highlights I've seen (I've been hunting for more than just his 70+ yard punts), he can punt from the 45, and get enough hang time to down it himself at the 5.

Thanks. Definitely answers the question I had. 

Arm of Harm

Is he an upgrade at punter? Yes. Big yes!

And that’s why this team is doomed. Doooooooooomed! Don’t believe me? Just ask the CBS sports department! 

Edited by Arm of Harm
  • Haha 2

Well the punter continues to lead in the draft choice post-count derby when you throw in the handicap.

I for one am in the wait and see mode.  No big fan of Haack but I'd expect him to put up a good fight and leverage experience.  He's probably working his ass off right now.  Either way whoever punts should be better than last year.  

Edited by Ninety-4
  • Like 3

Tim Graham, The Athletic (paid site)

Bills rookie ‘Punt God’ Matt Araiza must master another job to make the roster

One of Brian Moorman’s favorite days at Buffalo Bills training camp was when players who assumed they could execute one of football’s most overlooked jobs gathered to give it a whirl.

Quarterbacks, receivers, tight ends, safeties and whoever else thought they could serve in an emergency got behind the long snapper and awaited delivery.

“It was almost comical,” said Moorman, the two-time All-Pro punter. “And these were professional athletes.”

These eager wannabes weren’t trying to punt. They were attempting what’s considered the simplest task but in reality cannot be taken for granted.

Despite taking less than 1.3 seconds to do, holding for field goals and extra points is crucial.

Every year teams move on from punters because of inconsistent holds. Or, as with the Bills last season, they might choose to suffer with a struggling punter because he’s too good at the side job.

“It’s a trade in and of itself,” Moorman said.

That’s why the Bills will have an interesting decision to make this year.

General manager Brandon Beane called punter Matt Haack an “elite holder” on Saturday, just a couple of hours after the Bills selected Matt Araiza — aka the “Punt God” — in the sixth round of the NFL Draft.

Whenever a team thinks highly enough of a punter to spend draft capital, he’s a safe bet to make the final roster.

Araiza, however, never has held in a game because he also was San Diego State’s kicker.

</snip>

• Like 2

Spartacus
On 5/5/2022 at 2:13 PM, Ann said:

Araiza, however, never has held in a game because he also was San Diego State’s kicker.

</snip>

slacker

Spartacus
On 5/2/2022 at 4:57 PM, Blessed Believer said:

Absolutely love this pick. Fills another huge need. 

Holding duties are probably more important than actual punting, as bad holds take 3 points off the board.

Assuming that his punting blows away Haack, if he can't master holding, maybe there is another on the roster can fill in until he masters the art. 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Holding duties are probably more important than actual punting, as bad holds take 3 points off the board.

Assuming that his punting blows away Haack, if he can't master holding, maybe there is another on the roster can fill in until he masters the art. 

By a factor of ten.  I just learned he didn’t hold in college at all, so that makes me far less excited about this pick and explains why he was the 3d punter taken.