Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Gutters

mead107

41 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Do you clean your gutters or have someone do it?

if you do your own , how do you do it?

Get gutter guards. The gutters still have to be cleaned, but only once every few years (by someone else) instead of once or twice a year. They are really great if you have a lot of trees around you.

I stopped climbing up on the ladder several years ago.  Just not worth it relative to the cost of having someone else do it.

• Like 3

Seasons1992
12 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I stopped climbing up on the ladder several years ago.  Just not worth it relative to the cost of having someone else do it.

I fell off a ladder while cleaning a gutter once, right onto my driveway. I assumed I was dead on the way down. 

F ladders unless there are two people holding them.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I fell off a ladder while cleaning a gutter once, right onto my driveway. I assumed I was dead on the way down. 

F ladders unless there are two people holding them.

Or at least one who is paying attention.  I had a ladder slip once about ten years ago that was way too close to ending with a fall.  That was the end for me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Or at least one who is paying attention.  I had a ladder slip once about ten years ago that was way too close to ending with a fall.  That was the end for me.

There is a proper etiquette for ladder usage. If one is not properly educated, I wouldn't recommend climbing more than 4' off the ground.

Though I am getting a little old to be doing so (construction is definately a young man's game), I am into my 4th decade of dancing on ladders. I have done stuff that most would think is nuts but I understand what can and can't be done with/on a ladder. As I get older, I don't have the strength in my legs that I did when I was younger so, while I still will do some here and there, I'm not real crazy about doing it.

The scariest maneuver I think I ever performed on a ladder was on a 40'er dealing with a chimney. But when you're young dumb and full of ***, you think you're invincible.

• Like 1

Haven't had any large deciduous trees too close to the house for it to be an issue until about 2 years ago.  Still a do it myself job, but now that the gutter on the side of the house w/out the deck is starting to get leaves accumulating in it might get gutter guards in the next couple of years.

• Like 1

CarpetCrawler
On 6/14/2022 at 6:37 PM, Taro T said:

Haven't had any large deciduous trees too close to the house for it to be an issue until about 2 years ago.  Still a do it myself job, but now that the gutter on the side of the house w/out the deck is starting to get leaves accumulating in it might get gutter guards in the next couple of years.

When I was around 40 we put an addition on the house and had the roof redone. I was young enough to do DIY gutter guards I got from Home Depot. Just vinyl ones with a screen like this

6631913737538d374fc2602f44b4d2c2--gutter

I was able to bend an tuck the ends to get a good seal and keep debris and birds out. It really wasn't difficult at all, and I never had one problem with them in almost 25 years.

Flash forward to last year when I needed a new roof and replacing the gutters was part of the job....well at 60+ I wasn't going to risk falling off a ladder, so I paid the $1,100 extra to have the aluminum guards installed. If you're young and good with ladders, you could save a lot doing it yourself. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax-Home-Products-Snap-In-Filter-White-Gutter-Guard-86270QP/204475446

• Like 3