Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Generators

CarpetCrawler

On 6/18/2022 at 4:04 PM, Alaska Darin said:

I've got a whole house Generac from a couple of generations ago.  Two things about it:  you have to keep fuses around and the battery lasts almost exactly 4 years. 

As others have said in the thread, they are pretty awesome.  Mine runs 12 minutes a week on a timer to exercise itself.  It comes on automatically and I know when it comes on because the transfer switch in that generation is LOUD but that's no biggie.

I paid about $3300 for it 15 years or so ago.  Poured the pad and then did all the work myself.  At the time they wanted about $3500 to install it.  It ended up costing me maybe $150 in wire and a weekend to get everything done the way I wanted to.  It's tapped into my home LNG supply, which costs me about 1k in capacity but it's convenient AF because as long as the fuse is good and the battery isn't dead, it starts every single time.  I'm really surprised that builders don't offer them with new houses because the markups are sick AF and they're a huge selling point with women.

If/when we ever move back east, a whole house is an absolute must.

Of course, out here they are trying to ban generators entirely.  Which is awesome when they have to cut power preemptively due to fire risk.

RochesterRob
15 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

If/when we ever move back east, a whole house is an absolute must.

Of course, out here they are trying to ban generators entirely.  Which is awesome when they have to cut power preemptively due to fire risk.

NY is pushing to be fully on the grid so I would imagine that they will eventually have inspectors to make sure you are using only during an outage.  In general NY is pushing to be very unfriendly to business so the only reason to come back is to be a willing tax cash cow.

3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

NY is pushing to be fully on the grid so I would imagine that they will eventually have inspectors to make sure you are using only during an outage.  In general NY is pushing to be very unfriendly to business so the only reason to come back is to be a willing tax cash cow.

I'd never move to NYS.  Possibly somewhere further up in New England (which I realize isn't much better).

MothersMilk
4 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Use Sta-Bil in all of your small-engine gas cans and you will never have an issue with pump gas.

Ever. 

Agree, Sta-Bil is a great product, sold it for many years. However, I still recommend using ethanol free gasoline for small engines. 

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/03/gas-with-ethanol-can-make-small-engines-fail/index.htm#:~:text="Ethanol has inherent properties that,largest manufacturer of small engines.

Edited by MothersMilk
  • Like 1

RochesterRob
1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I'd never move to NYS.  Possibly somewhere further up in New England (which I realize isn't much better).

Marginally   NYS   >>>>>  NE and that has nothing to do with football.  I just think that within 10 years most producers here will be driven out.  With the shape the world is in and the direction it is heading I don't know that it will matter much by then.  Anything that I hear out of Republican politicians in the state is Albany is hopeless.  My personal feeling is anybody other than a Democrat has no chance.  Democrats are gaining in counties such as Monroe (Rochester) and we keep hearing about others such as Erie having the voting rolls spiked in the D's favor.  

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

New Hampshire!

The Guy In Pants

I have both gas and a portable battery UPS which can charge via solar and AC power while powering something else. 

The two gas are 8500 and 5500 watt. The battery can power a freezer for about 3 days without needing recharged but when hooked up to the panels, can run a freezer indefinitely with pass through charging.

• Like 2

CarpetCrawler
On 6/21/2022 at 2:47 PM, KD in CA said:

The Adirondacks are nice, similar to NE.

• Like 2

Well, I guess that I should have paid more attention. Storm just knocked out our towns power   Text says maybe back on by 10pm

:help:

• Cheers 3