Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Do you do your own painting or hire it out?

mead107

Almost always myself.

I let the Mrs. talk me into having someone come in to paint the kitchen last year. Didn’t put up much of a fight over that job.

The living room needs a new coat.  I think I can wait until the weather cools back off.

• Like 1

Our house - hire out

Rentals - hubby does it. Since we no longer own rentals and just had our entire house painted, I think he’s out of the painting business.

i painted my last house inside. Never outside. 

• Like 1

RochesterRob

I painted both inside and out but now in late middle age I will paint less.  Good thing that I am broke at present so I don't have to worry about it for now.

• Like 1

I hire it out whenever I can. Not that I hate to paint. What I hate is the prep. Tedious and boring and absolutely not worth my time.

And whomever decided the ceiling needs to be a slightly different color than the walls should be shot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I remember buying the 5 gal jug of tan paint at HD and painting the entire interior of my first house with the ex.   Brutal.

I think the last room I painted was my twin daughter's room pink when they were born 11 years ago.  No longer worth the stiff neck and hassle.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 10:57 AM, IDBillzFan said:

And whomever decided the ceiling needs to be done in popcorn texture a slightly different color than the walls should be shot.

My dad did not have the patience for painting so i was the delegated painter. Did my share of painting for money in my youth.
With age I can no longer carry a 5 with each arm - which is necessary to keep the spine aligned. So now when I take on small projects I basically relegate myself to the gallon of the day/week/month club.

Edited by Uncle Joe
  • Like 1

CarpetCrawler

Always did my own, get a good, stiff cut brush and cut everything, then the rolling is easy as pie.

51fxiIvCnGL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

• Like 3

All my good brushes have to be at least 15 years old and have given me a lot of use. 
When anyone else tries to use them I break out in hives.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, snafu said:

All my good brushes have to be at least 15 years old and have given me a lot of use. 
When anyone else tries to use them I break out in hives.

There's nothing like a good used roller cover either.

Pro tips: New roller covers shed hair. Take a roll of tape and wrap it around the fur. Overlapping slightly, end to end. Peal it back off and you will see what very well might have been left on your wall. Washing it before using with a mild dish detergent is also a good step prior to first usage. Never buy a cheap roller cover, they will continue to shed, forever.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, so preferences  are personal. However, drywall surfaces you probably want to use a 3/8th's inch nap. And as a general rule of thumb, the shinier the walls, the colder the room will feel. The duller the walls are, the warmer the room will feel. As such, nothing beats a washable matte. Eggshell/Satin is the next step up and offers better washability, but a shinier finish.  Trim, at a minimum, should always be a semi-gloss. Ceilings should always be a flat. Clay based if you can find it anymore. The clay based paints touch up beautifully, you'll never see it.

Exceptions to the above are kitchens and baths. Kitchen ceiling and walls, at minimum, should be Eggshell/Satin. Bathroom ceiling and walls, at minimum, should always be semi-gloss (due to moisture). Your bathroom (with a shower/tub) should always have an exhaust fan that vents outside as well.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

MothersMilk

I've always hated painting and used as much throwaway stuff as possible... brushes, rollers, edgers etc. I guess that mentality came from when I worked for an Icelandic painter way back... I usually did all of the carpentry stuff but sometimes it was just painting. He got a lot of those small commercial exterior jobs in that oil based paint was used. Cleaning up afterwards was a mofo and I hated it. 

I am going to paint my mailbox post soon though... spray paint with one of those snap on sprayers, those things are great. Got nice black numbers to put on it after it dries fully.