Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Training Camp '22

Foxx

As good a time as any to start this thread.

Camp begins on July 24th with rooks reporting on the 18th and vets reporting on the 23rd. It will be good to see the boys back at St. John Fisher.

The RB competition should be interesting.

Bills training camp positional preview: How big will RB James Cook’s role be?

... Biggest question

How big of a role will James Cook have as a rookie?

Cook effectively gives the team something it didn’t have over the last two years with Singletary and Moss — a pass-catching threat out of the backfield. The Bills attempted to fill that role in free agency and agreed to a deal with Commanders pass-catching back J.D. McKissic before he opted to return to Washington. Cook likely assumes that role as a rookie with the potential to line up as a receiver in two-running-back sets if they feel they can put more on his plate. But the coaching staff remains firmly behind Singletary as an important piece to the puzzle.

Singletary ended last season as the team’s every-down starter, yielding minimal snaps to Moss as the backup. He took a step forward as an early-down runner and played a role in the Bills becoming a more unpredictable offense. They aren’t going to cut Singletary out of the offense just because of Cook. For now, I’d expect Singletary to remain the lead back by playing time, but Cook will have a role. Cook will likely mix in on obvious passing situations and when the Bills feel comfortable enough to use two-running-back sets and split him out wide. They’ll also aim to keep Singletary fresher by giving Cook early-down snaps throughout the game. ...

Does Moss get traded?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Deranged Rhino
9 hours ago, Ann said:

If he is, what can the Bills get for him?

Just a wild guess, but I’d say a 4th at best, more likely a 5th. Unless there’s an injury depleted RB room somewhere come early September. The position is just too devalued for much more than that. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Jabba The Hutt
20 hours ago, Foxx said:

As good a time as any to start this thread.

Camp begins on July 24th with rooks reporting on the 18th and vets reporting on the 23rd. It will be good to see the boys back at St. John Fisher.

The RB competition should be interesting.

Bills training camp positional preview: How big will RB James Cook’s role be?

Does Moss get traded?

Hell no! Imagine the beating he can put on people after they have to chase Cook and Josh all around for 3 quarters!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

Hell no! Imagine the beating he can put on people after they have to chase Cook and Josh all around for 3 quarters!

You assume a lot...

• Sad 1

On 7/2/2022 at 2:35 PM, Ann said:

If he is, what can the Bills get for him?

On 7/3/2022 at 12:26 AM, Deranged Rhino said:

Just a wild guess, but I’d say a 4th at best, more likely a 5th. Unless there’s an injury depleted RB room somewhere come early September. The position is just too devalued for much more than that. 

I was thinking much less. He was originally a 3rd rounder who hasn't done a whole lot since coming into the league. I would think more along the lines of a 6th or 7th. Of course Beane is a magician so maybe he turns it into a 2nd.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2022 at 12:33 PM, Foxx said:

Does Moss get traded?

I'd trade Singletary before I trade Moss.  Moss can catch out of the backfield and block better than Singletary can.  Neither would fetch much value on the trade market.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Boo 1

22 minutes ago, Core Four said:

I'd trade Singletary before I trade Moss.  Moss can catch out of the backfield and block better than Singletary can.  Neither would fetch much value on the trade market.

I don't know that I would trade Moss either but there is a numbers game afoot and someone is going to get cut, traded and/or possibly stashed on the PS. Johnson might be an attractive alternative in the backfield. TC will be interesting for this positional group.

• Like 1

Lets see what Kromer can do with Cody.

5 BILLS WITH THE MOST TO PROVE ENTERING TRAINING CAMP

...Cody Ford

The theme here so far is second-round picks. Cody Ford’s first three years in Buffalo have been both fraught with injuries and underwhelming. Ford lost his starting job after just three games in 2021, where he gave up 17 pressures over the first three weeks and bottomed out with a PFF pass-blocking grade of 3.1 against Washington in Week 3. With Ryan Bates and Rodger Saffold, a starting job is probably off the table for him. Ford is fighting for a roster spot with recent additions like Greg Van Roten and Greg Mancz. Ford could be staring at a bleak professional football future without a solid camp. Hopefully, for Ford, the return of well-respected offensive line coach Aaron Kromer and spark some improvement. ...

• Like 1

IDBillzFan
On 7/4/2022 at 7:03 AM, Core Four said:

My understanding from reading articles last year is that one reason we saw less of Moss was because of his inability to pick up blitzes, etc. It's not something that stuck out to me, personally, but Allen is kind of other-worldly when it comes to being blitzed, so there's a chance Allen just made Moss' weakness less obvious.

On the other hand, I drink a lot, so I could be very wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

My understanding from reading articles last year is that one reason we saw less of Moss was because of his inability to pick up blitzes, etc. It's not something that stuck out to me, personally, but Allen is kind of other-worldly when it comes to being blitzed, so there's a chance Allen just made Moss' weakness less obvious.

On the other hand, I drink a lot, so I could be very wrong.

There's a good chance that both Singletary and Moss have had a hard time picking up blitzes, which a lack of experience could explain that.  In general, I believe Moss is a better blocker, though both may not be good under duress.

IMO, Josh made the whole offense look better with his mobility.  Had Mitch Trubisky been the QB, things probably would have looked different.

• Like 1

A  good observation by Buscaglia

Bills training camp positional preview: When will TE Dawson Knox get extension?

... Potential camp battle

O.J. Howard vs. slot receivers

This battle probably wasn’t what you expected, but it’s an important one based on how the offense evolved last season. When the Bills were at their best, they ran the ball far more effectively and maintained the threat to run throughout their games. One way they did that was by using heavy personnel more often than they did in the first three months of the season. They did it without a second tight end most weeks, instead opting to use offensive tackle Tommy Doyle as a sixth offensive lineman and de facto tight end. Now with Howard, they get an improvement over Sweeney as a blocker and a massive improvement over Doyle as a pass catcher.

More time for Howard likely means a slight philosophical switch for the Bills. While this will still be a pass-heavy offense, they might wind up passing out of 12 personnel (two tight ends) more often than they did last season, which will take a receiver off the field. It could lead to a slight devaluation of the slot receiver, which would be in line with the low-risk contracts they signed Isaiah McKenzie and Jamison Crowder to this offseason. Of course, Howard must prove he’s worth time on the field, so his overall effectiveness versus what McKenzie and Crowder do for the offense will be a minor storyline this summer. ...

• Like 2

Kyler Murray’s contract, Rob Gronkowski’s replacement and summer concerns for all 32 NFL teams

Buffalo Bills

They don’t have many holes in their starting lineup, but offensive line depth could become a significant problem if they sustain any injuries this year. Their top reserve is guard Cody Ford, whom the Bills benched for poor play after only three games last season. Their top reserve tackle is David Quessenberry, who signed a one-year prove-it deal, or Tommy Doyle, an inexperienced second-year player. There is also some slight concern about starting right tackle Spencer Brown, who struggled as his rookie year went on, and projected starting guard Ryan Bates, who started only six games in 2021. — Joe Buscaglia

Somewhere, I lost a day. I meant to bump this on the 10th with a #twoweeks. I thought yesterday was Saturday. #retiredlife 

• Haha 1

MothersMilk
2 hours ago, Ann said:

Tickets are available starting today. Word is the app keeps crashing, so you may have to try several times.

Tickets will be available to secure on Thursday, July 14.

Bills Mobile App users will receive early access to tickets.

Word is the app absolutely sucks lol.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/7/14/23217791/buffalo-bills-fans-incensed-by-training-camp-tickets-website-failure