Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Allen 2020 stats (MVP in any other year): 69.2% comp, 7.9 YPA, 107.2 Passer Rating, 46 TDs, 16 TOs (End of season talk starts pg 6)

transplantbillsfan

transplantbillsfan

EDIT: Updated weekly. *Full 2020 talk starts page 6*

Welcome to the age of having a superstar QB, folks :beer:

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 3

I think we sell out against the run and try and force Cam to beat us with his arm. Edmunds better make sure his shoulder is good enough to tackle Cam

• Like 1

transplantbillsfan
1 hour ago, Foxx said:

i am expecting Allen is going to ball out against the **Patriots. of course, the D that played the second half today better show up to help.

I think it would just further solidify the progress Allen has made if he can finally put together a really good complete game against a Bill Belichick D.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I think we sell out against the run and try and force Cam to beat us with his arm. Edmunds better make sure his shoulder is good enough to tackle Cam

Is Cam going to start?

transplantbillsfan

https://theathletic.com/2160660/2020/10/25/bills-jets-jerry-hughes?source=user-shared-article

Offense’s failure to put the Jets away was a compilation of errors

Josh Allen will naturally take a lot of criticism because of his position, though once again, I don’t think he was the problem on offense. Allen fulfilled his weekly routine of throwing a handful of inaccurate passes. Those plays always tend to stick out more than some of the successes that help engineer drives. While he needs to be more careful on those pass attempts, including an interception-worthy throw to the end zone, he avoided the truly baffling decision that is an easy play for the defense. During the rest of the game, Allen and the passing offense picked apart the Jets’ soft zone coverage. Just as they were in Week 1, the Jets were insistent on not allowing the Bills to beat them deep. And like the first meeting, Allen locked on his underneath targets and defeated the Jets with a ton of short throws with opportunity for yards after the catch. The only difference this time was that the Bills didn’t convert for a touchdown.

Think of all the missteps throughout the game. On the second drive, Allen and Reggie Gilliam set up the Bills with a first-and-goal opportunity with a 15-yard reception. On first down, the Bills took a holding penalty. On second down, they took an illegal man downfield penalty. With the Bills backed up, Daryl Williams conceded a quick pressure around the edge and Allen lost the ball on a strip-sack. Later in the game, the Bills were moving the ball easily in the second half, but then offensive coordinator Brian Daboll went to the quick pass to Isaiah McKenzie one too many times. The Jets were ready for it and dropped McKenzie for an 11-yard loss on first down, and it completely ruined the drive. The Bills had a touchdown nullified because of an illegal formation penalty in a later drive. On a different one, Allen read the bust in coverage and put an on-point throw to Tyler Kroft with a clear path to the end zone, only for the tight end to trip himself up and fall well before the end zone. Those are four separate drives that should have resulted in more than a field goal, and yet the Bills couldn’t get out of their way. That’s 22 points not scored because of all of their errors.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
transplantbillsfan

Fantastic article with a bunch of good clips... I will only post the conclusion.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/jim-kubiak-how-bills-qb-josh-allen-figured-out-*Patriots-amoeba-defense/article_1bb4c490-1d5d-11eb-ac9a-3f927b40a7e6.html

Jim Kubiak: How Bills QB Josh Allen figured out *Patriots' amoeba defense

Conclusion

The difference in Allen in this *Patriots game was his reactions to pressure and his ability to handle surprises.  Allen was consistently disciplined and methodical with his progressions. He stayed within the system and he stayed in the pocket, decisively delivering accurate throws under defensive pressure. Belichick and the New England defense did all they could to rattle Allen with amoeba-like defensive alignments, stunts and blitzes.

In the end, Allen remained calm in the midst of the uncertainties and did not give the *Patriots what they were hoping for, game-changing turnovers.  Allen’s execution and poise put the Bills in position to win the game by first not losing it.

transplantbillsfan

I'll just post the conclusion since it's a subscription site

https://theathletic.com/2179169/2020/11/05/josh-allen-midseason-report/

Josh Allen through 8 games: What’s gone right and what’s gone wrong

Big picture, and what’s to come

Allen should have an opportunity to get back on track this weekend. As difficult as it will be to keep pace with Russell Wilson and the Seahawks’ offense, Seattle’s passing defense has been among the NFL’s most generous to opposing quarterbacks. The Seahawks currently rank 29th in passing defense, according to Football Outsiders’ DVOA. If there’s a game for Allen to return to the player he was in September, this is it.

The schedule won’t stay easy the rest of the way. The Bills have five games left on the schedule against teams that rank in the top 12 in passing defense, according to Football Outsiders’ DVOA. And that doesn’t include games against the *Patriots and 49ers. Allen has shown he can handle a tough passing defense. He did so against the Rams in Week 3, carving up zone and man concepts early in the game. But he needs to show that he can find an answer to the way teams have played against this offense in recent weeks.

Teams are showing Allen more zone coverage with Cover 2 and Cover 4 looks. They are disguising the coverage pre-snap and making post-snap adjustments. Allen hasn’t been able to push the Bills’ offense through that. It’s unclear how much the left shoulder injury he suffered against the Raiders has impacted him, but Allen has appeared on the injury report every day as a full participant in practice and has worn a brace during games.

Overall, Allen is a better quarterback than he was in 2019. The lows he’s had in 2020 haven’t been as low as those in 2019. He still needs to prove he can stack up against top defenses and other top quarterbacks the way he did against the Rams. He’ll have plenty of chances to be that quarterback for the Bills over the second half of the season, with games against the Seahawks, Cardinals and Steelers to come.

At the end of the season, the clock starts on when the Bills can extend Allen’s contract. At this point, it’s a safe bet that the team will pick up Allen’s fifth-year option. The next eight games and the postseason should provide more clues as to what Allen’s value will be on his next contract.

• Cheers 1

transplantbillsfan

How about that flawless 1st half for Allen?

I'm loving the acknowledgement of Daboll that we ride or die with Allen... especially against the worst pass D in the NFL.

Slower start to the 2nd half, but in the end our QB gets over 400 yards in the air and ends up with 4 TDs and 0 turnovers. Foot off the gas once the game was essentially out of reach.

Defense really showed up today.

This is what we could be...

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 3

The one question I'd really like to ask Brandon Beane is which QB they'd have taken first overall if they'd had that pick.  I suspect his honest answer would be "Josh Allen."

That kid is just a flat out baller.  Everything you want in a QB.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

The one question I'd really like to ask Brandon Beane is which QB they'd have taken first overall if they'd had that pick.  I suspect his honest answer would be "Josh Allen."

That kid is just a flat out baller.  Everything you want in a QB.

One of my favorite parts of watching Allen this year are all the people who, for years, insisted you can't teach accuracy.

And maybe you can't, but not 100% of the time. 

Lastly, I don't recall the last time teammates gushed over their quarterback. The locker room scene at the end was terrific. My favorite part was briefly watching Diggs next to Allen. I still worry a bit when everyone is getting TDs, but not Diggs. There's an inner diva thing about him I fear. And yet he seems all in with whatever the plan is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

One of my favorite parts of watching Allen this year are all the people who, for years, insisted you can't teach accuracy.

Lastly, I don't recall the last time teammates gushed over their quarterback. The locker room scene at the end was terrific. My favorite part was briefly watching Diggs next to Allen. I still worry a bit when everyone is getting TDs, but not Diggs. There's an inner diva thing about him I fear. And yet he seems all in with whatever the plan is.

I always thought the knock on his accuracy was overblown by people who mistake completion % as an accuracy rating.

His errant throws were typically a product of throwing from awkward positions, but even in college, when he was able to get his feet set he was usually able to put the ball where he wanted it.

His deep ball accuracy was an issue prior to this year, but I think that may have been due to difficulty judging the receiver's trajectory rather than an inability to throw the ball accurately. The fact that he was able to clean that up should make us all feel good about the future.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Sal talked about the diva thing this morning on WGR. He said that Diggs was just upset last year that they wouldn't look his way that often. That he just wants to be involved and he's passionate but that his teammates loved him. He gave this stat.

2019 - 15 games. 94 targets. 63 catches.

2020 - 9 games. 91 targets. 63 catches.

The team is winning and he's involved. Plus he has a really good relationship with Josh. I'm hoping that it was just a relationship thing with Cousins, which seems very possible.

Edited by LB3
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Anything can be taught as long as the subject is willing to put in the work.  I remember Fitz talking about how when he got to Buffalo it was the first time since he got to the NFL that anyone had tried to coach him on mechanics.  He was 27 years old and had been in the league 4 years.  That's just insanity. 

Every once in awhile we see JA revert back to some of his previous habits but his progress from his rookie year is beyond tangible.  He's a stud and absolutely the most valuable player on this team (that's not a change from past seasons but it's more impressive now given how much better the roster is).

Fitz is the last QB I remember the locker room rallying around.  That didn't last long.

56 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Anything can be taught as long as the subject is willing to put in the work.  I remember Fitz talking about how when he got to Buffalo it was the first time since he got to the NFL that anyone had tried to coach him on mechanics.  He was 27 years old and had been in the league 4 years.  That's just insanity. 

Every once in awhile we see JA revert back to some of his previous habits but his progress from his rookie year is beyond tangible.  He's a stud and absolutely the most valuable player on this team (that's not a change from past seasons but it's more impressive now given how much better the roster is).

Fitz is the last QB I remember the locker room rallying around.  That didn't last long.

Josh will never be able to compete with Fitz's beard game.

But this has been Josh's team all season.