Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Allen 2020 stats (MVP in any other year): 69.2% comp, 7.9 YPA, 107.2 Passer Rating, 46 TDs, 16 TOs (End of season talk starts pg 6)

transplantbillsfan

36 minutes ago, Ann said:

He's "this close" to a 60% career completion percentage

Just going back to what he was throwing to his rookie year as the rawest of the raw rookies, how far he has come is simply amazing.

So many factors:

1.  Surrounding talent.  It's hard to argue that the BILLS had NFL talent around JA his rookie season.  Dawkins is the only OLineman left on the roster and Isaiah McKenzie is the only skill position player.  Most of the other guys are no longer even in the NFL.

2.  System continuity.  Having the same offense is critical when developing a young QB.  We are regularly seeing multiple WRs running wide open for JA to find.  He's hitting them in stride with regularity.  I haven't seen a YAC stat but I'd bet that we have more YAC yards right now than the last 10 seasons combined.  We also don't drop nearly as many easy catches as we have in past seasons. 

3.  Better mechanics.  Working with Palmer has certainly helped him.

4.  Experience.  He just didn't have much so he was basically and unbridled stallion until he got punched in the mouth in the playoffs last season.  I think that loss really fed the competitor in JA.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

2.  System continuity.  Having the same offense is critical when developing a young QB.

That's the one the idiots who scream 'clean house' after every bad game never seem to grasp.

• Like 3

Just now, KD in CA said:

That's the one the idiots who scream 'clean house' after every bad game never seem to grasp.

If Daboll eventually leaves, McDermott would be smart to not change the offense in any way.  Keep the terminology, etc. and hire a coordinator that has a similar mindset. 

It's always seemed stupid to me that teams do that when they change coordinators.  The *Patriots keep the system and replace the coordinators.  They don't blow up everything whenever someone leaves.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

The one question I'd really like to ask Brandon Beane is which QB they'd have taken first overall if they'd had that pick.  I suspect his honest answer would be "Josh Allen."

That kid is just a flat out baller.  Everything you want in a QB.

If you believe the picture of the whiteboard, they had Wyoming at the top.

1 minute ago, GG1 said:

If you believe the picture of the whiteboard, they had Wyoming at the top.

I've never seen that but I'd believe it.  Beane was obviously enamored with him before his senior year, to the point where he actually said something to someone about it.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

They're all amnesiacs.

One of the reasons the Bills were on the wheel of futility for so long is because they never stuck with anybody more than three years or so.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Is Diggs on pace to set a franchise record?

Yes.

Moulds holds the current records (100 receptions, 1368 yards).

Diggs is on pace for 112 receptions, 1445 yards

Interesting side stat:  Moulds was target ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY times the year he caught 100.  That's insane.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

Yes.

Moulds holds the current records (100 receptions, 1368 yards).

Diggs is on pace for 112 receptions, 1445 yards

Interesting side stat:  Moulds was target ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY times the year he caught 100.  That's insane.

Diggs is on pace for 161 targets. I took a look back and we really threw a ton that year.

Josh is on pace for:

560 attempts

4,599 yards

Bledsoe in 2002:

610 attempts

4,359 yards

Edited by LB3
  • Like 1

You only have to wait 3 plays into this game to really see JA's progress.  BILLS are in 10 personnel with trips tight.  Brown is alone on the left.   At the snap,  JA immediately looks left, at Singletary out of the backfield.  This sucks up the LBer on that side and stops the left side safety's drop at the same time.   He then looks to Brown, who has run a short curl inside between the numbers and the hash marks.   This stops the corner and safety dead, and they start to close on Brown.

Meanwhile, McKenzie is hustling across the formation while Jamal Adams (big mouth safety) completely loses him because he's so focused on following JA's progressions.  One perfectly dropped 33 yard dime later, it's 6-0 Buffalo.

JA not only threw a perfect pass, he completely manipulated the coverage to get McKenzie open.  

Edited by Alaska Darin
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

You only have to wait 3 plays into this game to really see JA's progress.  BILLS are in 10 personnel with trips tight.  Brown is alone on the left.   At the snap,  JA immediately looks left, at Singletary out of the backfield.  This sucks up the LBer on that side and stops the left side safety's drop at the same time.   He then looks to Brown, who has run a short curl inside between the numbers and the hash marks.   This stops the corner and safety dead, and they start to close on Brown.

Meanwhile, McKenzie is hustling across the formation while Jamal Adams (big mouth safety) completely loses him because he's so focused on following JA's progressions.  One perfectly dropped 33 yard dime later, it's 6-0 Buffalo.

JA not only threw a perfect pass, he completely manipulated the coverage to get McKenzie open.  

There as a photo sequence of this play running around the interwebs after the game of McKenzie making his break, and then a few steps into his break a second photo and at the bottom left of the photo, one of the assistant coaches has his arms up on the sideline signaling TD. I mean, Allen hadn't even turned toward McKenzie and they knew.

Just now, IDBillzFan said:

There as a photo sequence of this play running around the interwebs after the game of McKenzie making his break, and then a few steps into his break a second photo and at the bottom left of the photo, one of the assistant coaches has his arms up on the sideline signaling TD. I mean, Allen hadn't even turned toward McKenzie and they knew.

He literally made that TD happen.  Great coaching, perfect execution. 

8 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I'll keep looking, but it's from this angle, just a few seconds later. You see arms raised in the lower left corner. 

Game Highlights | Video | Buffalo Bills - buffalobills.com

Start the replay at 20 seconds. Hands shoot up lower left corner at 24 seconds. Good find.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

He literally made that TD happen.  Great coaching, perfect execution. 

Watch this video of Zack Moss mic'ed up. At the 44 second mark, you have the sideline view of the  McKenzie TD (with Josh Allen in the small video window in the lower left) and see the coach I referenced earlier (blue shirt) putting his hands up before Josh is even out of his progression. He saw McKenzie and he knew. Then you see everyone realize they have it before the ball is barely released.

I think quite possibly one of my favorite things in this game is seeing people who see the TD long before it's even close to being a TD.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

Watch this video of Zack Moss mic'ed up. At the 44 second mark, you have the sideline view of the  McKenzie TD (with Josh Allen in the small video window in the lower left) and see the coach I referenced earlier (blue shirt) putting his hands up before Josh is even out of his progression. He saw McKenzie and he knew. Then you see everyone realize they have it before the ball is barely released.

I think quite possibly one of my favorite things in this game is seeing people who see the TD long before it's even close to being a TD.  

That screen to Moss was another play I wanted to highlight because it was another perfect call that was perfectly executed.   Winters ran like 20 yards to just obliterate #27.  Just awesome. 

• Like 5