Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Do you do your fall yard cleanup?

mead107

How many have it done by someone else? 

I do our own now. 

before I retired I had a friend’s lawn company do it. 

95% of the leaves are down. 

Leaves are just starting to fall here. I usually don’t rake, instead I just mulch the leaves up with the mower and call it good. I do it myself and always have. 

The lawn guys do the fall and spring clean-up.

This year, they were here with a crew of six for 12 hours (72 man-hours) on the spring clean-up. It would take me two months to accomplish what those guys did. If I had to do the fall clean-up? I'd blow the leaves into the bushes and let them rot there until the guys did the spring clean-up. 🙂

I do go out and leaf-blow the concrete surfaces (sidewalks, driveway, patio) so the leaves do not stain the concrete and to avoid slippery walking surfaces.

It seems to be a very late leaf turning/dropping here. Our backyard maple never turns or drops until the beginning of December. :classic_blink:  At this rate, it will be January before those leaves come down.  The other backyard and front yard trees are way behind too, but I bet things pick up (heh) this week.

I do my front yard leaves...two fairly big Maples and a very large oak in my neighbors yard, but i get almost 100% of his leaves. Also have 4 pretty  smaller Crepe  Myrtles out there, and those little leaves are a pain. But, i can blow them all on tarp, and just put them in neighbors completely wooded back yard.

Back yard is on a hill, all fenced, almost all beds, 4 massive oaks and a 3 dogwoods, 1 pear, and i huge Crepe Myrtle. Way to much a pain, pay someone to clean those up early January..oaks sometimes not done dropping leaves till mid December.

BTW, usually have same company do mulch, but did it myself this year just for something to do. 30 cubic yards, but damn it was worth and and saved $800!

Waiting until the first day when the wind gets above 25 MPH usually does it.  I just peek the gutters after that to see if any matted down there.  

This is a sore subject for me.

I live at the east end of a “T” intersection.  I get the leaves of the entire street blown onto my front lawn (probably @RochesterRob‘s, too).  The Village where I live has the DPW come around to collect leaves that are piled in the street in front of people’s houses, but there’s no set schedule and they never tell anyone when the truck is coming around.  So the piles sit and sit until they get blown away. I bag my leaves, and all of the neighbors’ leaves that blow onto my lawn. I generally don’t mind picking up the leaves, but it is a big, continuous job.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, snafu said:

This is a sore subject for me.

I live at the east end of a “T” intersection.  I get the leaves of the entire street blown onto my front lawn (probably @RochesterRob‘s, too).  The Village where I live has the DPW come around to collect leaves that are piled in the street in front of people’s houses, but there’s no set schedule and they never tell anyone when the truck is coming around.  So the piles sit and sit until they get blown away. I bag my leaves, and all of the neighbors’ leaves that blow onto my lawn. I generally don’t mind picking up the leaves, but it is a big, continuous job.  

Don't drag me into your situation.  I don't live in town and the leaves wind up in a corn field where the farmer most likely appreciates the added organic matter to the soil.  

• Cheers 2

• 3 weeks later...

The lawn guys are picking up leaves today. :yahoo:  Bonus, the backyard December-Maple has dropped half of its leaves already. And double bonus, these guys will take away what we have in the streets which is fabulous since the town has not picked up street leaves in two weeks.  :censored:

• Like 1

I have been avoiding emptying our little artificial pond and waterfall by our patio garden.

Maybe I will break out the bucket before it gets too late,

😎

leh-nerd skin-erd

We do ours, and the bigger issue is pine needles.  I mulch with a mower, rake and also blow leaves into my neighbors 20 acre lot with his permission. 

We bought a rental in July and the backyard looked straight out of scene from Tropic Thunder, hadn’t been touched in decades.   My wife, who may be related to @DC Tom wife based on his description of Mrs. Tom,  offered to come over and help with the leaves.  I declined her offer.  She showed up anyways and the dance was on.  

She likes to corral all the leaves in a massive pile, look around and tell me how much she helped me.  I inquired as to why she used the leaf blower to move the massive pile to the farthest recesses at the rear of the property when, upon bagging, I needed to transfer the 97 bags to the farthest outpost at the front of the property.

Thank God we do this every year and we do it over and over and over and over....

• Haha 3

Jabba The Hutt
On 10/26/2020 at 2:21 PM, mead107 said:

How many have it done by someone else? 

I do our own now. 

before I retired I had a friend’s lawn company do it. 

95% of the leaves are down. 

Everything goes at the base of our fruit trees for nutrients! We don't have a lot of trees that lose leaves.

• Like 1

This is a sore subject with me. We just had gutter guards installed, after having the gutters cleaned about six times since moving here. We have 70’ tall Pitch Pines and oaks, several of which are within 10 -20 feet of the house. The prevalent wind blows most of our neighbors’ leaves into our yard, and I’m stuck with cleaning up their &#%$ing leaves. That, and the God damned oak trees keep at least half their leaves throughout the winter. So it’s a Sisyphean task. Oh, my liver!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

My house is five years old. I had to rake leaves for the first time ever this year. There aren’t very many trees so this will never be a huge task. I kind of enjoyed it a bit. 

• Like 1

It’s my first northeast autumn as a homeowner (recently moved from FL). I broke out the lawn tractor and drove over my leaf piles repeatedly until they were sufficiently mulched up and strewn into the road and my neighbors yard. I’m not familiar with leaf courtesy here. Is this appropriate?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sig1Hunter said:

It’s my first northeast autumn as a homeowner (recently moved from FL). I broke out the lawn tractor and drove over my leaf piles repeatedly until they were sufficiently mulched up and strewn into the road and my neighbors yard. I’m not familiar with leaf courtesy here. Is this appropriate?

Only if you remember to have your dog take a crap on the pile of leaves you blew into the neighbor's yard.

4 hours ago, Koko said:

After. Geeze, who wants dog crap on their lawn mower blades?

Im guessing my neighbor does. Ive never seen him walking around picking up my dogs logs before he mows the yard. What a weirdo.