Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bills Turnovers Lead to Huge Upset Win for Jacksonville

BillsFans Staff Writer

BillsFans Staff Writer

Image Credit: © Bob Self-USA TODAY Sports

The wrong Josh Allen – if you’re a Bills fan – walked away a winner on Sunday. The Buffalo Bills turned the ball over three times after closing as 15.5-point favorites prior to Sunday’s game and lost to Jacksonville. It was just the second win of the season for the Jags, now 2-6.

All three turnovers were committed by Buffalo QB Josh Allen who did not play anywhere near his MVP caliber. However, Jacksonville LB Josh Allen did. The Jags’ Allen recorded one of two interceptions that the Bills’ Allen threw on Sunday. The Jags’ Allen also recovered a fumble by the Bills quarterback, a quarterback sack, two tackles for loss, and eight total tackles for the game.

The Bills’ Allen went 31-for-47 for 264 yards, but he did throw two picks, lose that fumble, and was sacked four times. All three turnovers were costly for a Bills team that entered Sunday, scoring over 30 points per game.

MozJPEG USATSI_17116307.jpg

© Melina Myers-USA TODAY Sports

It didn’t start all that bad for the AFC East-leading Bills.  After Jacksonville’s Matthew Wright hit a 39-yard field goal on the Jags opening drive, Allen and the Bills went to work. A 12-play, 48-yard drive resulted in a game-tying 24-yard field goal by Bills kicker Tyler Bass. That drive was a vision of what was to come for Buffalo the rest of the day. The Bills were set up nicely with a first-and-goal at the Jags three-yard line yet failed to punch the ball into the end zone.

Buffalo’s next drive was almost a carbon copy of its first, and Bass nailed a 41-yard field goal to complete a second 12-play, 48-yard drive. Little did anyone know at the time that those would be the last points scored by Buffalo the rest of the game. Every ensuing Bills drive would end with a punt or a turnover. 

As poorly as Buffalo played, the Bills still had a chance to win the game in the fourth quarter. With just over five minutes to play, Buffalo faced a third-and-two at the Jags 37-yard line. The Bills’ Allen was pressured by the Jags and fumbled. The Jags’ Allen recovered, ending the scoring threat.

MozJPEG USATSI_17115911.jpg

© Bob Self-USA TODAY Sports

Buffalo would get the ball back once more and advance the ball to the Jacksonville 39-yard line. On third-and-seven, Allen was sacked by Dawuane Smoot for a nine-yard loss. Out of field goal range, Allen’s fourth-down desperation pass to WR Stefon Diggs fell incomplete. 

The Bills had a difficult time running the football against Jacksonville. Allen was the leading rusher with 50 yards on five carries, but the Bills running backs – Devin Singletary and Zack Moss – managed just 22 yards. Buffalo was also plagued by penalties, 12 of them that cost the Bills 118 yards. 

Sunday’s game made history when the Jags’ Allen sacked the Bills’ Allen. It was the first time since the NFL began counting sacks in 1982 that a player sacked a quarterback with the same name. Interestingly enough, the Bills drafted their Josh Allen in 2018 with the seventh overall pick. A year later, in 2019, the Jags took their Josh Allen with the seventh overall pick.

Jacksonville has now won twice in its last three games. Buffalo is now 5-3 and remains a half-game ahead of New England in the AFC East race. The Bills continue a stretch against some of the league’s worst teams when they face the New York Jets on the road next Sunday. 

BillsFans.com - Editorial Staff

Related:

THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - No Offense

Buffalo Bills vs. Jacksonville Jaguars Week 9 game preview

Allen, Bills Find Their Way in 2nd Half Beat Miami 26-11

Bills Nation Wouldn’t Mind a Little Déjà vu All Over Again

Allen Stopped on Fourth Down, Bills Fall to Titans 34-31

View full article

It wasn’t the turnovers. The Bills got mugged in a bar fight when they went in expecting the Junior Prom. They got manhandled and had the shit beat out of them. The turnovers were the result of them being punked like a JV team playing a Juco.  

8 minutes ago, Nanker said:

It wasn’t the turnovers. The Bills got mugged in a bar fight when they went in expecting the Junior Prom. They got manhandled and had the shit beat out of them. The turnovers were the result of them being punked like a JV team playing a Juco.  

Meanwhile the chaperones  were in on the pounding!

This is bullshit. The HC, OC, DC  Were unprepared for this game and their limping squad of wimpy warriors were in effectual throughout the entire game. 

THEY WERE NOT PREPARED. And their heads weren’t into the game.  

They could have had a better afternoon Lallygagging at an afternoon at the Bronx Zoo. Hope they don’t upset the Marmosets if target end up staying there next Sunday during their game with th AMPED -UP. JESTS. 

I don't think turnovers had much to do with this loss.  The terrible offensive line, and probably offensive line scheme and coaching, had everything to do with this loss.  The scary thing is that it can happen again vs the Jets.

7 hours ago, Nanker said:

It wasn’t the turnovers. The Bills got mugged in a bar fight when they went in expecting the Junior Prom. They got manhandled and had the shit beat out of them. 

6 hours ago, Nanker said:

This is bullshit. The HC, OC, DC  Were unprepared for this game and their limping squad of wimpy warriors were in effectual throughout the entire game. 

49 minutes ago, Core Four said:

I don't think turnovers had much to do with this loss.  The terrible offensive line, and probably offensive line scheme and coaching, had everything to do with this loss.  The scary thing is that it can happen again vs the Jets.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Add in the gutless red zone play calling (again).  We have a 4 very good WRs and a highly mobile Pro Bowl QB. Was there a single throw into the end zone in this game?  Why the &#%$ are they calling two plays to Moss and throwing a WR screen from inside the 10?

image.png.19d3b25f9bd9738804b849daf7ae4477.png

6 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Add in the gutless red zone play calling (again).  We have a 4 very good WRs and a highly mobile Pro Bowl QB. Was there a single throw into the end zone in this game?  Why the &#%$ are they calling two plays to Moss and throwing a WR screen from inside the 10?

I don't know what Daboll's deal is this year with the red zone play calls.  Last year we were among the best, this year not so much.  I wish Daboll would take a page out of the Titan's book where Tannehill play faked the handoff and ran to right for the TD.  Rams bit on it hook, line, and sinker.

It seems like Daboll appears to (yet again) constrain Josh to being a pocket passer (with a terrible oline), except during one of his dumb QB designed runs which don't work.  Allow Josh to do what he does best... scramble and run as he needs to.

17 hours ago, Nanker said:

They could have had a better afternoon Lallygagging at an afternoon at the Bronx Zoo. Hope they don’t upset the Marmosets if target end up staying there next Sunday during their game with th AMPED -UP. JESTS. 

They held the Jaguars to 9 points, so I’m not sure it’s fair to say the DC came into this game unprepared. But I agree with everything else you wrote. 

47 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

They held the Jaguars to 9 points, so I’m not sure it’s fair to say the DC came into this game unprepared. But I agree with everything else you wrote. 

Frazier came prepared, but he does what he usually does: drop 7 into coverage and only rush 4.  Against a rookie like Lawrence, I don't know why Frazier wouldn't want to blitz the hell out of him.  No way would a rookie pick apart the defense under duress.

14 minutes ago, Core Four said:

Frazier came prepared, but he does what he usually does: drop 7 into coverage and only rush 4.  Against a rookie like Lawrence, I don't know why Frazier wouldn't want to blitz the hell out of him.  No way would a rookie pick apart the defense under duress.

Hello Core Four and drop 7 into coverage. Holding the Jags to 9 points was not the problem my friend ;  )

44 minutes ago, Figster said:

Hello Core Four and drop 7 into coverage. Holding the Jags to 9 points was not the problem my friend ;  )

This is true.  I didn't exactly elaborate, but I was implying that Frazier doesn't really adjust his base defense.  Further, I believe he recently mentioned something to the effect of not adjusting because it sends the wrong signal to the defense, they worked on the particular scheme the past week in practice.  I apologize that I can't remember the exact quote, but the point is that he doesn't make much in the way of adjustments, and IMO, is a philosophical error.  What if the scheme you worked on all week turns out to be wrong and/or is not working?  It obviously doesn't apply to the Jax game so much, but more to other opponents such as Tennessee where his defense gave up 34 points and couldn't stop them at all in the second half.