Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Huge Loss

Shaw66

Image Credit: © Mark Konezny-USA TODAY Sports

The Colts crushed the Bills, 41-15, on Sunday afternoon. 

Coming into the game, the persistent question was “just how good are the 2021 Bills?”

Now, we have the answer:  Not very good.

November is when good teams emerge in the NFL.  The Bills haven’t emerged, and time is running out.  Fast. 

There’s not much to say, so I’ll state the obvious.

The Bills have a one-dimensional offense that can’t score against any decent NFL defense, like the Jacksonville Jaguars.  The formula is simple:  Give the Bills nothing deep, rush Allen, ignore the play fake.   Play the receivers tight.

Wait.  That’s the formula to stop everyone.  It’s easier said than done.  Well, yes, except against the Bills, it IS easily done.  Why?

1.  The Bills can’t run the ball, so the linebackers and defensive backs can ignore the play fake.

2.  The Bills can’t pass block, so rushing Allen is easy. 

3.  Secure in the knowledge that Allen will have to throw quickly, the defensive backs can clamp down on the short routes, making every throw a tough throw. 

MozJPEG USATSI_17207542.jpg

© Robert Scheer-USA TODAY Sports

It’s hard not to conclude that the offensive line is a problem.  The line creates few easy yards for the running backs, and the line consistently allows quick pressure in Allen’s face.  Remarkably, the Bills really miss rookie Spencer Brown.  Not that Brown has been an All-Star, but he’s been pretty consistent.  Brown’s absence and the season-ending injury to Feliciano have forced the Bills to put Cody Ford on the field, a player who’s had multiple opportunities to produce and simply can’t. 

Ford isn’t the only problem.  Mitch Morse seems to be good for a holding penalty flag almost every week.  He holds because he can’t neutralize good power rushers. 

Someone’s probably playing well on the line, but I don’t know who it is. 

The defensive line presents exactly the opposite problem.   It can’t stop good running teams, and it can’t pressure the quarterback consistently.  Lotulelei out of the lineup made a difference.

On both sides, the primary problem is that these players are finesse players, not power players.   The offensive line can’t move the defense off the line of scrimmage, and the defensive line can’t hold the line of scrimmage.  Under those circumstances, the opposing defense can ignore the Bills run game and the play fake, and the opposing offense can run at will forcing the linebackers to play the run and the run fake.   

Until the line play changes, it’s hard to imagine that the results will change.

MozJPEG USATSI_17207847.jpg

© Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

Of course, the game got away from the Bills on one play:  After the Colts went up 17-7 late in the first half, the script was clear:  Allen takes the Bills on a scoring drive to close the half 17-10 or 17-14, and then the Bills take the second half kickoff and take over the game.  Instead, Isaiah McKenzie gave the ball away on the kickoff, the Colts make it 24-7, the Bills go three and out to open the second half, and the game was over.

Several Bills made critical mistakes, and the lack of discipline and execution was surprising for a McDermott team, but McKenzie’s play – one play – should earn him a ticket out of town before next September.  Harsh?  Not at all.  McKenzie has 5 receptions for 26 yards and 5 rushes for 27 yards.  His primary job, practically his only job, is to return kicks, and ball security is rule number one for kick returners. 

In fact, ball security may be the ONLY rule for a kick returner.  Some might say the fumble is worth the risk, because once in a while there’ll be a big return.  Well, no.  There have been over 600 kickoffs returned this season, four for touchdowns.  That’s less than 1% out of kicks returned, and that doesn’t include all kickoffs for touchbacks.  How about punts?  Over 500 punts returned, ZERO TDs, and that doesn’t include the fair catches, punts downed, or punts out of bounds.  These days, kick returning is pretty much all risk and no reward.  Given that reality, McKenzie’s play was unforgiveable. 

The Bills now face a big-time gut check:  Go to New Orleans and win on four days’ rest, then come home beat a Patriots team that unlike the Bills, is getting great line play on both sides of the ball.    

GO BILLS!

Billsfans.com - Shaw66

Related:

Buffalo Bills vs. Indianapolis Colts Week 11 game preview

November Warm-up Tailgating Menu

Bills Demolish Jets, Get Back on Track

Buffalo Bills @ NJ Jets - A Few Thoughts about the Jets Game, in no particular order

THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Feast

THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - No Offense

View full article

Good summary.  The Bills are what they are at this point.  Not much will change until the off season.  As stated, they will need to acquire 2-3 Olinemen who can play physically, which includes a center.

The Dline will need attention, as well.  A big, physical 1TDT will be needed, as well as another edge/DE.  I don't see how they can bring Addison, Hughes, and Butler back; all overpaid and overrated.  Loved Hughes 3+ years ago, but he's done.  Also, get rid of the rotation strategy, it isn't producing any results.  In addition, be more aggressive through stunts and overloads.  Get rid of Frazier's chicken s**t push the pocket back and contain the QB strategy...and they wonder why they can't get more sacks.

I'm not sure if this staff will figure out a way to win enough games to win the division.  It's still possible, but their backs are against the wall.  Winning the division is the easiest way into the playoffs since tie breakers won't be favorable.

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

It’s hard not to conclude that the offensive line is a problem.  The line creates few easy yards for the running backs, and the line consistently allows quick pressure in Allen’s face.

Outstanding review! You hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately.

Well done, @Shaw66

This is EXACTLY what's wrong.

"The Bills have a one-dimensional offense that can’t score against any decent NFL defense, like the Jacksonville Jaguars.  The formula is simple:  Give the Bills nothing deep, rush Allen, ignore the play fake.   Play the receivers tight.

Wait.  That’s the formula to stop everyone.  It’s easier said than done.  Well, yes, except against the Bills, it IS easily done.  Why?

1.  The Bills can’t run the ball, so the linebackers and defensive backs can ignore the play fake.

2.  The Bills can’t pass block, so rushing Allen is easy. 

3.  Secure in the knowledge that Allen will have to throw quickly, the defensive backs can clamp down on the short routes, making every throw a tough throw. "

11 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

3.  Secure in the knowledge that Allen will have to throw quickly, the defensive backs can clamp down on the short routes, making every throw a tough throw. 

I asked this in the aftermath thread. I'm assuming you went to the game.
Is Sanders (or other receivers) getting open and Allen is not seeing them? Do we need a younger, faster receiver to open up the field more? Can scheming overcome this "clampdown" or is it all on the Oline?

Edit: Season1992 alluded to my questions above while I was typing. I'm still interested in your  take.

1 hour ago, Uncle Joe said:

I asked this in the aftermath thread. I'm assuming you went to the game.
Is Sanders (or other receivers) getting open and Allen is not seeing them? Do we need a younger, faster receiver to open up the field more? Can scheming overcome this "clampdown" or is it all on the Oline?

Edit: Season1992 alluded to my questions above while I was typing. I'm still interested in your  take.

I can't speak for OP, but I absolutely do believe a change in philosphy, play calling and game planning can help IMO. Help the Oline. Help the whole Offense. It starts on the practice field. I'll use Breida as a great example. This is a weapon in the Daboll/Allen arsenal that changes how the opposition will defend you. Getting him the ball in space is going to give you good overall production IMO. If I'm McD/Daboll I throw the pecking order out the door. Breida fits the Bill. Leave him on the football field. 

Allen has to be content with taking what the oppositions D gives you. Better focus and more practice on short yardage plays is the only real option the Billls have IMO. The sub par play of the Oline dictates as much IMO.  

DaBillsFanSince1973

huge is an understatement.

I have lost ALL hope for this team. the dolphins game, then the jags and now the beatdown from the colts. this team hasn't the gonads to win anything. no division, no playoff game and certainly no sb.

I've now lost all hope that I was going to see one more sb before I die.

13 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

In fact, ball security may be the ONLY rule for a kick returner.  Some might say the fumble is worth the risk, because once in a while there’ll be a big return.  Well, no.  There have been over 600 kickoffs returned this season, four for touchdowns.  That’s less than 1% out of kicks returned, and that doesn’t include all kickoffs for touchbacks.  How about punts?  Over 500 punts returned, ZERO TDs, and that doesn’t include the fair catches, punts downed, or punts out of bounds.  These days, kick returning is pretty much all risk and no reward.  Given that reality, McKenzie’s play was unforgiveable. 

unsaid- any big play generated has a high chance of being negated by the over officious jerks with the yellow hankies.

worse is that most returns don't even make it to the 25, and more often than not, those pesky penalties are putting the offense in a hole

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I have lost ALL hope for this team. the dolphins game, then the jags and now the beatdown from the colts. this team hasn't the gonads to win anything. no division, no playoff game and certainly no sb.

Chiefs climbed out of a slump. I think we can to IMO.

DaBillsFanSince1973
17 minutes ago, Figster said:

Chiefs climbed out of a slump. I think we can to IMO.

love your optimism man but they're 5-4 in the conference with 3 more to go. pats x 2 and the jets. they have no answer for the O line issues and no run game. I said last week was a must win and they lost. it will take more than a fans optimism to turn this train wreck around. I believe it will take yet another off season to get it right and in my opinion, JA needs to get his head more in to the game instead of all the tv commercials. the chiefs are at 2-4 with a loss to the bills and in a pretty weak division as well other than the chargers who are 4-2 in the conference. they have a pretty tough go after their bye with denver x 2, chargers, steelers and the bengals although they could win out?

winning thursday will not change my outlook, however, if they were to beat the pats on mnf it would certainly change my outlook. lose on mnf, I'll be looking forward to the off season.

2 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

love your optimism man but they're 5-4 in the conference with 3 more to go. pats x 2 and the jets. they have no answer for the O line issues and no run game. I said last week was a must win and they lost. it will take more than a fans optimism to turn this train wreck around. I believe it will take yet another off season to get it right and in my opinion, JA needs to get his head more in to the game instead of all the tv commercials. the chiefs are at 2-4 with a loss to the bills and in a pretty weak division as well other than the chargers who are 4-2 in the conference. they have a pretty tough go after their bye with denver x 2, chargers, steelers and the bengals although they could win out?

winning thursday will not change my outlook, however, if they were to beat the pats on mnf it would certainly change my outlook. lose on mnf, I'll be looking forward to the off season.

You could be right on needing another off season/ draft. Mentally, I'm already preparing myself for it.

22 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Same, I wouldn’t care if we moved on from Beane and Daboll tbh.  

Beanes got a blindspot for the OL and it’s a fatal flaw. 

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

If the Pegulas choose to move on from Beane, that means they'll move on from McD.  Not that I'm advocating for anything, but McD and Beane are a package deal.

3 minutes ago, Core Four said:

If the Pegulas choose to move on from Beane, that means they'll move on from McD.  Not that I'm advocating for anything, but McD and Beane are a package deal.

Fine with me, I’m kinda out on them

after the Jags and Colts games.   

I don’t think there’s an excuse for scoring 6 points vs that 💩 defense 

45 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Young, he'll learn

42 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Fine with me, I’m kinda out on them

after the Jags and Colts games.   

I don’t think there’s an excuse for scoring 6 points vs that 💩 defense 

short memories

Super Bowl Bills played their share of stinkers

maybe current Bills should to go no huddle to cover up the lack of talent on the OL, just like the Super Bowl Bills

every year they lost to the Jets

5 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

short memories

Super Bowl Bills played their share of stinkers

maybe current Bills should to go no huddle to cover up the lack of talent on the OL, just like the Super Bowl Bills

every year they lost to the Jets

Poor play against better teams 10 games into the season is not something the Super Bowl Bills shared in IMO. Can't stop a good run game. Can't run the football. Line problems, and everyone knows it starts up front.

Super Bowl Bills had good lineman...

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

Poor play against better teams 10 games into the season is not something the Super Bowl Bills shared in IMO. Can't stop a good run game. Can't run the football. Line problems, and everyone knows it starts up front.

Super Bowl Bills had good lineman...

Those Bills teams had a very good OLine and a difference maker in Bruce Smith coupled with Bennet and Talley.

This Bills team has a terrible OLine and no real difference maker on the DLine or LB corps.  Just not built to win the SB and Beane and McD deserve to be questioned regarding how they decided to build the team. 

IMO, the Bills could get there in a year or two, but that will take a philosophy change with Beane and McD, as well as being active in FA with better decisions in player acquisitions in both FA and the draft.  Beane, I think, has more of an open mind than McD, who appears to be very stubborn.

1 minute ago, Core Four said:

Those Bills teams had a very good OLine and a difference maker in Bruce Smith coupled with Bennet and Talley.

This Bills team has a terrible OLine and no real difference maker on the DLine or LB corps.  Just not built to win the SB and Beane and McD deserve to be questioned regarding how they decided to build the team. 

IMO, the Bills could get there in a year or two, but that will take a philosophy change with Beane and McD, as well as being active in FA with better decisions in player acquisitions in both FA and the draft.  Beane, I think, has more of an open mind than McD, who appears to be very stubborn.

I bend more towards the Bills GM Beane being young.  Its hard to strike a good balance across the roster. Injuries, key players missing from the lineup. Stars a great example. Brandon Beane has done some really good things. Allen and Diggs is a match made in football heaven IMO.