Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

A Few Thoughts About the Rams Game, in no particular order

Virgil

I'm re-watching tonight because I really don't/can't see the details in the first few games of the year.  I gotta get back into "watching football" mode.  I was pretty tense until the beginning of the 4th Quarter, too -- because I felt like the Bills just let the Rams hang around and something twisted was going to happen.

During halftime, I took my dog for a walk and was thinking about the Offense and Dorsey.  I love how simple the plan seemed.  No over-thinking things or getting too tricky like Daboll.  It is almost as if Dorsey knows how talented our offense is and is just letting them show it.  There's no need for tricks if you don't need to trick anyone.  Save them for "off" games.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Sometimes you just need to take a step back, clear the mechanism, and watch your team with a fresh perspective. As I think about the last few years, the waiting for the bad thing to happen syndrome made it really difficult to enjoy the success of the players and the team because I was always waiting for the next shoe to drop. As this game approached, I thought more about what losing on the national stage and waiting ten days for Week 2 would feel like. The anxiety was palpable. However, as the game started and I debated taking notes to potentially write these thoughts, I put my phone away and just watched the game with as fresh a perspective as possible. I tried not to worry when the score was tied at the half, and I did my best to drown out CC on the air. The result was nothing short of amazing.

Get out of my head! This is me. I was getting more and more anxious as the game drew closer simply waiting for the other shoe to drop. Last night  really was an amazing game when you consider there were things for the Bills to clean-up, and still the Bills looked like a force of nature.

51 minutes ago, Virgil said:

6 - Von

Before we signed Von, I got caught talking about him to a friend about how I thought he was too old to really be a force and probably didn't deserve a ton of money. An hour later, the Bills signed him. Since then, I've hoped for the best but realistically expected an average season of maybe seven sacks because how much difference can one guy make? Apparently, a lot. I was super wrong. Holy ***** was this defensive line transformed. Seven sacks and zero blitzes. Von pulled in two sacks where he showed both speed and power. Not only that but whatever he's teaching AJ and Boogie, keep it going. Everyone showed up for this game, and I have to believe this is due to the leadership and support of Von. If Von and company can even repeat half of this performance for the rest of the season, a lot of records are going to be in jeopardy.

There are expectations, and then there is exceeding the wildest of dreams. Von Miller looked a decade younger than his age out there last night. What he has imparted onto that defensive line is nothing short of miraculous.  Maybe one game isn't enough to say it, but I bet by the end of the season the Buffalo Bills think they got an absolute steal in a Von Miller "in the twilight of his career."

Excellent write up, as always, @Virgil.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 hours ago, Virgil said:

6 - Von

Before we signed Von, I got caught talking about him to a friend about how I thought he was too old to really be a force and probably didn't deserve a ton of money. An hour later, the Bills signed him. Since then, I've hoped for the best but realistically expected an average season of maybe seven sacks because how much difference can one guy make? Apparently, a lot. I was super wrong. Holy ***** was this defensive line transformed. Seven sacks and zero blitzes. Von pulled in two sacks where he showed both speed and power. Not only that but whatever he's teaching AJ and Boogie, keep it going. Everyone showed up for this game, and I have to believe this is due to the leadership and support of Von. If Von and company can even repeat half of this performance for the rest of the season, a lot of records are going to be in jeopardy.

8 - Secondary

When you run a zone defense against a guy like Kupp who makes his living finding space, you know you're going to give up some yardage. Kupp's was a beautiful touch throw and toe tap, where Poyer left a little too much space. Beyond that, our secondary was lights out in this game. I was incredibly worried about Robinson eating us up in this game, and you barely heard his name. I wasn't completely shocked to see Elam play back-up, but I think that's a huge testament to best man plays and the depth Beane has created. For a Rams team that went one-dimensional in the second half and still didn't score a touchdown, it's hard not to be incredibly excited for this season against the pass. Besides the Dolphins, we don't really face many receiving threat teams before Tre comes back. I would argue that with our new pass rush and the depth of our secondary, we could easily be the best pass-defending team in the league.

Everyone forgets one major change the Bills made in the offseason that probably has a very measurable impact, too: Kyle Schumer, Defensive Quality Control Coach.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Everyone forgets one major change the Bills made in the offseason that probably has a very measurable impact, too: Kyle Schumer, Defensive Quality Control Coach.  

even a bigger change , though on the offense, is ditching Bobby Johnson for Aaron Kromer

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

even a bigger change , though on the offense, is ditching Bobby Johnson for Aaron Kromer

Yep, and Daboll for Ken Dorsey.  The OLine could block, the run game worked (for players not named Josh Allen), and the offensive play calling actually made sense.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Core Four said:

Yep, and Daboll for Ken Dorsey.  The OLine could block, the run game worked (for players not named Josh Allen), and the offensive play calling actually made sense.

Mostly because we no longer have bad, inconsistent guard play.  Roger Saffold was mauling people in the run game.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Cheers 1

Awesome post game write up Virgil, my all time favorite. Who needs notes ;  )

Well done man!

I agree on the coming out of the tunnel angry part.  The smile on Josh Allens face masked the pent up anger and frustration from a season ago. Someone was going to pay. Someone was going to feel every ounce of anger in Allens body, and it was the Rams. 

MERCY !!!

Edited by Figster
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

Von Miller is an absolute savage.

It blows my mind how much power the dude generates.

A guy who weighs between 240 and 250 ponds should not be able to consistently bull rush the 330  pound monster lined up across from him.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

Von Miller is an absolute savage.

It blows my mind how much power the dude generates.

A guy who weighs between 240 and 250 ponds should not be able to consistently bull rush the 330  pound monster lined up across from him.

leverage and balance

• Like 3

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
22 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

leverage and balance

Of course he’s incorporating leverage and balance; but if it were really just that simple Miller wouldn’t be anything special, every tweener type would be able to do it, and Aaron Maybin wouldn’t be a cautionary tale.

• Applause 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

Of course he’s incorporating leverage and balance; but if it were really just that simple Miller wouldn’t be anything special, every tweeter type would be able to do it, and Aaron Maybin wouldn’t be a cautionary tale.

it's more about the other guy's lack of balance due to Von's ability to go inside and outside

• Cheers 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
10 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

it's more about the other guy's lack of balance due to Von's ability to go inside and outside

And again, if it were just that simple every single tweener body type would be doing it.

What makes Miller special is that he’s able to do things that other guys his size in the league cannot.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

It almost looks like Von Miller is moving at a faster camera speed then all the big players around him.   The opposition has a hard time keeping up. This cat has got some wheels... 

Edited by Figster
  • Like 1