Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

A Few Thoughts About the Dolphins Game, in no particular order

Virgil

Great write up.

One comment though, had someone not seen the game or the score, they’d have been under the impression that the bills got hammered… but they only lost by two points.

If this is our worst game of the season…

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin

If you are on team "we were injured," feel free to stop reading now. 

Except it matters.  And more so than just the quality of players, it's the on-field communication and understanding between players that matters most.  Having Hyde and Poyer out impacts how the entire defensive backfield plays together, for their lack of direction.  Having so many linemen go down that you have to reach all the way down to Mancz - a player who was on the practice the day before the game - your coordination on the offensive line is going to be cattywampus.

It's truly remarkable the defensive backfield did as well as they did - holding Miami to 21 should have been enough to win.  As the game went on and the offensive line basically fell apart...it's not entirely surprising the offense ultimately couldn't score.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
  • Applause 2
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 minutes ago, Ninety-4 said:

I was actually pleased to see Dorsey melt down in the booth at end of game.  Glad to see some emotion after a tough loss and the less than great execution.  

It's almost as though some people would prefer Dick Jauron.  

• Wow 1
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Except it matters.  And more so than just the quality of players, it's the on-field communication and understanding between players that matters most.  Having Hyde and Poyer out impacts how the entire defensive backfield plays together, for their lack of direction.  Having so many linemen go down that you have to reach all the way down to Mancz - a player who was on the practice the day before the game - your coordination on the offensive line is going to be cattywampus.

It's truly remarkable the defensive backfield did as well as they did - holding Miami to 21 should have been enough to win.  As the game went on and the offensive line basically fell apart...it's not entirely surprising the offense ultimately couldn't score.

Matters a lot. I dont think this covers it at all

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/injuries/_/name/buf/buffalo-bills

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Absolutely correct.

I get the disappointment, Virg, and there is no question this team left some plays on the field. But we were one injury away from putting Billy Buffalo under center. It's difficult for me to get worked up over this loss, especially because, as someone said, this was the Fish's SB. 

And did you see what happened to a healthy KC today? Good teams have bad games.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

You are 100% correct.

I'd divide bad stuff into two categories.

1) Bad stuff which can be blamed on injuries.

2) Bad stuff which cannot be blamed on injuries.

Virgil focused more on category 2) stuff in the OP. And he was right to do so. This game was very winnable, even with all the injuries. Had the category 2) stuff not occurred, this would have been a solid Bills win.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Virgil said:

7 - Motor

There are Bills fans that are in the Motor camp, and Bills fans that are in the Moss camp.  I'm not sure either are good enough to establish any sort of dominant run game.  Have to hope that Cook develops into the guy because Moss and Singletary don't seem to be it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Core Four said:

There are Bills fans that are in the Motor camp, and Bills fans that are in the Moss camp.  I'm not sure either are good enough to establish any sort of dominant run game.  Have to hope that Cook develops into the guy because Moss and Singletary don't seem to be it.

They have 1 or two big runs a game that keep us thinking wow. Perhaps it is here. 

Moss had 4 carries and it looks like 11.5 yds average. But if you remove the 1 big carry it was 3 carries for 3 yards.

Singletary had 1 6yd run. Besides that he had 8 carries for 7 yds. 

Cook had 1 carry for 3 yards. 

One of these guys have to separate themselves from the other 3. 

While much of that is an attest to the Fins game plan  and work at the line I think we we still don't have a good running game. Was hoping they would address this. Perhaps they still will.

Edited by Fansince88
  • Like 2

Anybody who watched that game and came away from it as the Dolphins being the better team doesn't know football. That said McDs continuous trend of enormous gaffs in close games is very concerning, someone being a football newbie may not have been able to discern between who was the veteren coach and who was the rookie coach. 3rd - 22 anybody, apparently 13 seconds taught the coaches nothing last year, that is a problem, coaching is becoming the elephant in the room!

Edited by Big Gun
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Big Gun said:

Anybody who watched that game and came away from it as the Dolphins being the better team doesn't know football. That said McDs continuous trend of enormous gaffs in close games is very concerning, someone being a football newbie may not have been able to discern between who was the veteren coach and who was the rookie coach. 3rd - 22 anybody, apparently 13 seconds taught the coaches nothing last year, that is a problem, coaching is becoming the elephant in the room!

0-8 in the last one score games..

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, Core Four said:

I would like to see the statistics on early season running games versus late.  It seems to me that most NFL running teams do better later in the year as the weather gets colder, teams get worn down, and injuries are more of a factor.

I would bet a lot of money that the BILLS run the ball more effectively in the second half of the season.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I would like to see the statistics on early season running games versus late.  It seems to me that most NFL running teams do better later in the year as the weather gets colder, teams get worn down, and injuries are more of a factor.

I would bet a lot of money that the BILLS run the ball more effectively in the second half of the season.

That was definitely the case last season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

And they'll do it more effectively when the line isn't built with Elmer's glue. You really saw how much the run game missed Morse today. And every time I turned around, another lineman was on the ground looking for an IV and an umbrella drink.

Also, it may just be me, but for the time we'd had Moss, the one word that never came to mind with him was speed, and yet that sonofabitch turned on jets on that one run that I never expected to see from him.

Just now, IDBillzFan said:

And they'll do it more effectively when the line isn't built with Elmer's glue. You really saw how much the run game missed Morse today. And every time I turned around, another lineman was on the ground looking for an IV and an umbrella drink.

Also, it may just be me, but for the time we'd had Moss, the one word that never came to mind with him was speed, and yet that sonofabitch turned on jets on that one run that I never expected to see from him.

Moss is underrated by the fanbase because he wasn't used a ton as a rookie until later in the season, then got hurt just as he was starting to get it going.   Last season he was clearly still coming back from injury and was missing some of the explosion that made him a tackle-breaking machine in college. 

People act like running backs start games just blowing through defenses but most of the better runs happen later in games when the front 7 is worn out and the OLine starts imposing their will.

• Like 3

I don’t disagree that the bills should have won this game, regardless of the injuries… that being said, injuries shrink margin. 

Give me Morse and Poyer and I think our margin for victory is much higher and we overcome the self-inflicted wounds easier.

It’s disappointing either way, but It doesn’t cause long term worry for me.

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I don’t disagree that the bills should have won this game, regardless of the injuries… that being said, injuries shrink margin. 

Give me Morse and Poyer and I think our margin for victory is much higher and we overcome the self-inflicted wounds easier.

It’s disappointing either way, but It doesn’t cause long term worry for me.

There were a ton of issues yesterday, but the turning point was letting Tua hit Waddle on a 3rd and 22. 

Never should have happened, and I'd go so far as to affirm it NEVER would have happened if Hyde and Poyer were playing.

What few people are discussing? How did Tyreek do vs. Elam? Four targets. Two catches. 37 yards.

Can't wait for the rematch.

• Like 3