Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Got Pets?

IDBillzFan

During a game day thread a couple of you mentioned your dogs. One was dealing with Cushings, and I kind wish I was in that thread as my dog deals with Cushings as well, and then I realized this group is probably filled with pets worth discussing.

We have two rescues; Paco and Boomer. Both are smaller mixed breeds. I believe @Alaska Darin refers to them as "puntables." When we're asked their breed, we say they're cockerhoods: one part cocker spaniel and one part whatever else was in the neighborhood. 

Paco is 13, and is starting to show it, dealing with Cushings and recovering from a vestibular disease that is essentially vertigo; dog fumbles around like he's drunk. All is better for now, but you can see he's tired of all the shit.

Boomer is 6, and a true lap dog. Goes batshit at all the wildlife on our property; deer, elk, turkeys, pigs, chickens, etc.

Would love to hear and see what you have, but also share things of value, especially what you feed them. We're leaning toward making their food from now on, but it can be a little time-consuming.

Paco on the left, Boomer on the right.

We've had cats. Don't like cats. Will never have cats again.

image.thumb.jpeg.18f9a430fdaa77d46ac3ba8bb6182155.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

We currently have 3. 

Binnington (Binny or "Little MFer" mostly) who is a puppy we got dumped on us a few months ago.  He's about to turn 1 and is a complete asshat.  Doberman puppies are basically tiny velociraptors until they are about 2.  He is by far, the worst we've ever had but he's going to be a great dog when he finally grows out of this stage.

Kaia is next (2.5 years).  She is the beast standing on top of the column and is the kindest, sweetest dog we've ever had.  She scares the living shit out of everyone because she is a near perfect looking example of the breed but she has no idea she's a Doberman.  She will literally start trotting around the house whining at about 530 each night because she wants to cuddle with someone on the couch in front of the television.  She loves football for that reason.

Nala (Orange collar) is my baby.  She is the leader and my favorite dog we've ever had.  I got her 4 years ago yesterday after we'd lost 2 senior dobes in a short period of time.  She is just a terrific dog.

As far as food goes, we feed Acana with a buncha supplementation but I'm thinking about going back to feeding human food again.  I vastly prefer it and it is clearly better for them.  It's just work and requires planning.

Dogs.jpg

• Like 4

Two cats that we "inherited" from my in-laws after they passed effective May 2021.  I seem to have a knack in getting cats to adapt.  The one was skittish but I soon realized most of it is due to poor hearing and eyesight.  I talk as I approach her which helps her relax.  I've had dogs but we don't have a lot of room for a lot of animals at present.  Maybe some day we will have another dog.  I still miss Momma Cat who will have been gone a year come this October.  

• Like 4

“I want a doggie,” is my current whine. I am not sure we will get another one as it would cramp our traveling, but I would love another dog. There is nothing like a dog for friendship and companionship.

• Love 2

7 hours ago, Ann said:

“I want a doggie,” is my current whine. I am not sure we will get another one as it would cramp our traveling, but I would love another dog. There is nothing like a dog for friendship and companionship.

When we set out to drive around the country to find our final home, we took Paco and Boomer with us, and there is literally no shortage of outstanding hotels/motels that accommodate pets. And I don't just mean let you keep a pet for an extra fee. I mean they have treats at the front desk, really nice, large, clean areas to accommodate taking them to the bathroom.

We traveled CA to AZ to New Mexico, then north to Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, down through Idaho and through Nevada before going back to CA.

We used a website called Bring Fido, and it helped a lot.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

When we set out to drive around the country to find our final home, we took Paco and Boomer with us, and there is literally no shortage of outstanding hotels/motels that accommodate pets. And I don't just mean let you keep a pet for an extra fee. I mean they have treats at the front desk, really nice, large, clean areas to accommodate taking them to the bathroom.

We traveled CA to AZ to New Mexico, then north to Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, down through Idaho and through Nevada before going back to CA.

We used a website called Bring Fido, and it helped a lot.

Two dogs ago we had the biggest little shit of a dog you could imagine.  He also had a fatal disease we managed for over four years making him even more spoiled. 

That dog was the BEST traveler ever. For all that he was a cat in a canine coat, he was simply terrific in a car (he wasn't that thrilled with air travel,  but he wasn't bad either).

Hubby wants a few more trips to Europe before we stick to US only travel. 

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin

Two cats now.  Younger one rather dog-like - goes for walks on a leash, plays fetch, comes when you call him, is generally excited to see you when you get home.  Older one is sweet, but definitely all "&#%$ you, peasant, peel me a grape" cat.

• Like 3

I mentioned awhile back in the pet names thread, I think it was, that my one Golden had a lipoma in her left leg pit. While she is not the most active dog, we scheduled it back in July hoping that this would be a less active time for here due to Summer being past and the fact that she really doesn't like the cold.

Doc doesn't think she will need an Elizabethan collar but I worry she will want to scratch it with her hide leg, not sure how we will prevent that. I guess there is a drain tube for a couple of days as well. 

I'll probably be more worried than she will be uncomfortable.

• Love 4

On 10/1/2022 at 3:35 PM, Foxx said:

I mentioned awhile back in the pet names thread, I think it was, that my one Golden had a lipoma in her left leg pit. While she is not the most active dog, we scheduled it back in July hoping that this would be a less active time for here due to Summer being past and the fact that she really doesn't like the cold.

Doc doesn't think she will need an Elizabethan collar but I worry she will want to scratch it with her hide leg, not sure how we will prevent that. I guess there is a drain tube for a couple of days as well. 

I'll probably be more worried than she will be uncomfortable.

Sooooo glad you're getting it excised. 

Our chocolate lab developed one in the right arm pit when he was about 6 and the vet talked us out of getting it removed as it was not cancerous & wasn't really bothering him and she said there could be other complications. Well long story short, it kept growing for 6 more years & got so large they couldn't operate on it.  It eventually had a blood vessel in it tear & a couple of months later we had to put him down.  He was otherwise very healthy and had been very active.

Will never let one go without getting it excised again as that cost him his life.

Please let us know the operation goes well.

• Sad 1
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2022 at 12:25 AM, Taro T said:

Sooooo glad you're getting it excised. 

Our chocolate lab developed one in the right arm pit when he was about 6 and the vet talked us out of getting it removed as it was not cancerous & wasn't really bothering him and she said there could be other complications. Well long story short, it kept growing for 6 more years & got so large they couldn't operate on it.  It eventually had a blood vessel in it tear & a couple of months later we had to put him down.  He was otherwise very healthy and had been very active.

Will never let one go without getting it excised again as that cost him his life.

Please let us know the operation goes well.

I am sorry to hear you lost your chocolate lab, that had to hurt. What was his name?

Took Isabella to the Vet this morning to get some preliminary blood work done before her surgery next Thursday. I guess it is to check for her ability to handle anesthesia and check her organs. We will know in 96 hours what comes back.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Foxx said:

I am sorry to hear you lost your chocolate lab, that had to hurt. What was his name?

Took Isabella to the Vet this morning to get some preliminary blood work done before her surgery next Thursday. I guess it is to check for her ability to handle anesthesia and check her organs. We will know in 96 hours what comes back.

Thanks.  Yeah, really stunk having to put him down, but we really should've done it 2 days earlier (he went downhill hard on a Saturday but weren't taking him to the emergency room vet, he was going to be cared for by my vet).  He had been very healthy other than the huge lipoma.  Thought we'd have him 2-3 more years at least.  His predecessor made it to 19 so we really weren't ready to have him go downhill so young.

Really hoping everything goes well w/ Isabella.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I'm just sitting here, checking my emails, and OHHH WHO'S A GOOD BOY!!!!!

This is one of those times when I'm wondering why the person capturing this on their phone doesn't...y'know...go down there to help the dog instead of waiting for the dog's mother to drag his ass up the wall.

Not as dramatic, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

An update of sorts on Isabella's lipoma removal. I wanted to wait a bit to be sure everything went okay.

We dropped her off last Thursday at 8am and picked her up at 2pm. The surgery was successful and from the vet's explanation, everything went as well as could be expected. she didn't even think it worthy of sending the mass for histopathology study. No drain tube was needed either.

When we picked her up, they led her out of the observation room and she just collapsed to the floor. I got down with her and tried to console her and see exactly how she was doing. After understanding she was okay, still a bit groggy from the anesthesia and getting direction from the aide towards the aftercare, we took her home.

They shaved her up more than I would have thought.

IA2g3jN.jpg

She bruised up pretty good and there was some swelling as well. Though the swelling was minor compared to the lipoma they removed.

SOjhCxR.jpg

This image above was just after we got home. The bruising became considerably more significant in the next few days. Happy to say that it is receding now though.

Isabella is a very vocal girl (wish my boy was half as vocal) and she was kind of breaking my heart a little that night. She was literally crying and sighing for hours. It didn't take long for her to slide back into her princess stature though. Everyday she has gotten better and better. She's got that pep in her step and the waddle is back.

Take her to the vet early next week just so they can check her wound. It looks really good though so no worries at present. Oh, one other thing... when we took her for the blood work prior to surgery, they discovered she is hypothyroid, so she will be on meds for that for the rest of her life.

• FANtastic 1
  • Love 4