Top Posters In This Topic

• Ann

• ExiledInIllinois

• Uncle Joe

• B-Man

25 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

Some stupid line. I live in the only county in the state of TX not in central 

4 hours ago, Ann said:

Yes, panhandle, beginning of central time zone. I have no idea why we aren't on east coast time like the rest of the state.

Thought I'd save Tom the trouble:

Time Zones

Everyone on the planet wants the sun to be at its highest point in the sky (crossing the meridian) at noon. If there were just one time zone, this would be impossible because the Earth rotates 15 degrees every hour. The idea behind multiple time zones is to divide the world into 24 15-degree slices and set the clocks accordingly in each zone. All of the people in a given zone set their clocks the same way, and each zone is one hour different from the next.

(so much for states rights)

• FANtastic 2

11 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

USA time zone map large

This map just looks odd to me, The time zones just go all over the place. 

Yeah, "why" for Florida, Indiana, Kansas, Texas, Tennessee, Michigan, Oregon, Idaho, and North Dakota, especially.  States shouldn't be split up at all, IMO, but at least South Dakota looks half-and-half. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billsandhorns said:

1 hour ago, Uncle Joe said:

I was wrong. Time zones have adapted to local jurisdictions. Guess they don't follow the science.

• Like 2

ExiledInIllinois
8 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

Thought I'd save Tom the trouble:

Time Zones

Everyone on the planet wants the sun to be at its highest point in the sky (crossing the meridian) at noon. If there were just one time zone, this would be impossible because the Earth rotates 15 degrees every hour. The idea behind multiple time zones is to divide the world into 24 15-degree slices and set the clocks accordingly in each zone. All of the people in a given zone set their clocks the same way, and each zone is one hour different from the next.

FAN-tastic! But... I beat him too it a few posts up. 😉 

ExiledInIllinois
6 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

I was wrong. Time zones have adapted to local jurisdictions. Guess they don't follow the science.

You weren't wrong. Local jurisdictions are wrong. 😉 

ExiledInIllinois
8 hours ago, Billsandhorns said:

USA time zone map large

Still gets wider as it approaches the equator. Not all that weird. Only so much they can fudge in states like Florida (Panhandle) or Tennessee/Kentucky and the Western Plains states... Idaho.  And don't forget Idaho.  A pure victim of geography! 😆 

Local jurisdictions and population densities I guess have to play a part. Like that little nub in Northwest Indiana geared towards Chicago and Central Time.  Actually just across the border in New Buffalo, Michigan... They simply don't change clocks. Winter is Eastern Time and during summer tourist season it's "Chicago Time"... IE: Central. Or that's the way they used to do it.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois
9 hours ago, Billsandhorns said:

Some stupid line. I live in the only county in the state of TX not in central 

You're a victim of geography like Idaho is too. 😉 Only so much leeway can be given before that 15° has to trump it! Would you wanna be New Mexico. Like @Annin Florida should be Alabama (J/K Ann). 😉 

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You're a victim of geography like Idaho is too. 😉 Only so much leeway can be given before that 15° has to trump it! Would you wanna be New Mexico. Like @Annin Florida should be Alabama (J/K Ann). 😉 

We have taken to explaining to people who don't understand "panhandle" that we basically live in Alabama. 🙂 

• Haha 3

• 11 months later...