Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

FTX Collapse

Foxx

This FTX fiasco has the potential to dwarf Mt. Gox, as far as value goes. I seriously doubt it will come close to the number of coins though.

A Reminder.... if you don't have the keys to the wallet your crypto is stored in, you don't really own it.

This FTX SBF thing is blowing up. It is clearly the biggest fraud in crypto history and is going to dwarf Mt. Gox by leagues. 

Just a thought here but... depending upon who is ensnared in this, could this be the current version of what was the Iceland moment of '08?

On the run?

Nouseforaname

Who is sbf and what is the Iceland moment?

Also, I saw on twitter someone associating this situation to Jon corzine in 2012 IIRC. Is a company like ftx regulated in terms of deposit insurance? For example, we have IROC which covers 1m in accounts and 1m in registered accounts.

Edited by Nouseforaname

40 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

Who is sbf and what is the Iceland moment?

Also, I saw on twitter someone associating this situation to Jon corzine in 2012 IIRC. Is a company like ftx regulated in terms of deposit insurance? For example, we have IROC which covers 1m in accounts and 1m in registered accounts.

SBF is Samuel Bankman-Fried 

The Iceland Moment is that which precipitated the financial crash, widely believed to be associated with Lehmans. Many of the links I have access to from back then are no longer working and much of the search algorithms will not return those long ago articles, all I was able to find (in a short search) is that which I linked.

Many of the sanctioned exchanges such as Coinbase and Binance do have FDIC insurance but insurance only covers individuals for $250K. Not sure if FTX had FDIC or not.

Also, I think it is known as, IIROC; Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada.

27 minutes ago, Ann said:

Second largest donor behind Soros:

Crazy crackpot conspiracy theory I see floated about... this is how the Democrats got a portion of their Ukraine funds laundered and thus returned. With rumors of talks about to begin, coincidentally, it seems the flow of money to Ukraine might be ceasing.