Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Eating for health

Fansince88

Jabba The Hutt
On 1/14/2023 at 5:36 PM, Fansince88 said:

I will be looking into the list of "Oils" that were mentioned by CTM. Education is our best tool. Today Im going to discuss My new favorite drink in the morning. Warm water with lemon. A month ago I tired this with lemon oil and dumped it when I saw that the ingredients included High Fructose Corn Syrup! WHY. We bought it for lemon! Therefore I decided to dump that and squeeze my own lemons from now on. So lemon water is good but heated is great and here is why:

1. Boosts your immune system

2. Lemons are good for your brain

3. They are heart-healthy

4. Lemon juice balances the body's pH

5. It helps with weight loss

6. Lemon water also aids digestion

7. Lemon water is a diuretic

8. It clears skin

9. And freshens breath

10. Lemon may even help respiratory problems

11. It's good for the liver

12. And keeps you zen

13. Helps kick the coffee habit

This article is a long read but well worth the time IMHO:

https://lajollamom.com/drink-warm-lemon-water-in-the-morning/

Atta boy! If I may add keep up the lemon water! If you can, I'd have to absolutely suggest buying a juicer, juice fresh organic apples and you can add a half lemon into the juice as well or whole depending on your palate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

An alkaline body is in your best interests.

Yes. Learning more and more about this. I have seen some concerns about being too Alkaline. Thoughts,

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

Atta boy! If I may add keep up the lemon water! If you can, I'd have to absolutely suggest buying a juicer, juice fresh organic apples and you can add a half lemon into the juice as well or whole depending on your palate.

We love high pulp orange juice. After looking at the ingredients of our orange juice we buy I said, WHY! Shouldnt orange juice be....oranges? Possibly water? 

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Yes. Learning more and more about this. I have seen some concerns about being too Alkaline. Thoughts,

Yes, it's called alkalosis. Your body will generally tell you it is too alkaline because you will experience muscle cramps and/or tingling sensations in your fingers and/or toes.

Unless you have a severe case, it can usually be flushed by water intake. For more severe cases, saline IV's may be required.

As with anything new, approach it slowly and cautiously. Do your due diligence.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Yes, it's called alkalosis. Your body will generally tell you it is too alkaline because you will experience muscle cramps and/or tingling sensations in your fingers and/or toes.

Unless you have a severe case, it can usually be flushed by water intake. For more severe cases, saline IV's may be required.

I'm also eating spinach in my salad and Almonds daily which also increase your alkalinity. That said, I also drink plenty of water every day so my assumption is that will keep any excess anything moving. I always thought I loved coffee. Truth is I love coffee with creamer. Not finding a creamer that is beneficial and the benefit of eliminating coffee for now is worth it to me.  They offered me caffeine free  coffee in the hospital. Ever see how coffee is decaffeinated? No thanks! 

• Cheers 2
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

I'm also eating spinach in my salad and Almonds daily which also increase your alkalinity. That said, I also drink plenty of water every day so my assumption is that will keep any excess anything moving. I always thought I loved coffee. Truth is I love coffee with creamer. Not finding a creamer that is beneficial and the benefit of eliminating coffee for now is worth it to me.  They offered me caffeine free  coffee in the hospital. Ever see how coffee is decaffeinated? No thanks! 

I hate to be the one to say this but... coffee and creamer, together, can be hard on your body. The two together makes it hard for your body to digest the combination (the closer the ratio, the worse it gets).

On a bit of a different note, eating locally grown (to you) foods is another very good thing you can do for your body. Got allergies? Consume local honey and in a matter of time, you will see a considerable difference.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just now, Foxx said:

I hate to be the one to say this but... coffee and creamer, together, can be hard on your body. The two together makes it hard for your body to digest the combination (the closer the ratio, the worse it gets).

On a bit of a different note, eating locally grown (to you) foods is another very good thing you can do for your body. Got allergies? Consume local honey and in a matter of time, you will see a considerable difference.

The bride started doing local honey about  years ago. Had sinus infection every year in March/April from her teens till 15 years after we married. Had one since then and that was a year we couldn't find any from local suppliers all winter. Will be doing the dandelion scene this spring too. 

• Cheers 2

Jabba The Hutt
1 hour ago, Fansince88 said:

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

That's why alkaline water is a scam, if it's naturally high fine but I wouldn't drink artificially alkalinized water. 

As far as becoming too alkaline from just diet, most people are too acidic and would be hard pressed to have alkalosis from diet, it is very rare to find somebody suffering from that.

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

The bride started doing local honey about  years ago. Had sinus infection every year in March/April from her teens till 15 years after we married. Had one since then and that was a year we couldn't find any from local suppliers all winter. Will be doing the dandelion scene this spring too. 

It's not just limited to honey, I only used that as a popular example. Start a garden or shop at your local farmers market, find a good local butcher you can trust. There might be a co-op in your community you can join. You are a byproduct of your surroundings. Let your surroundings help you.

• Like 2

Jabba The Hutt
44 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Coffee is extremely acidic too!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Foxx said:

It's not just limited to honey, I only used that as a popular example. Start a garden or shop at your local farmers market, find a good local butcher you can trust. There might be a co-op in your community you can join. You are a byproduct of your surroundings. Let your surroundings help you.

Great suggestions. We do have a farmers market in the summer but our summer is so short of a season it really limits us. Amish blanket our area. We buy only locally grass fed beef. I have been known to plant tomatoes that grow peppers. LOL. Shop only local free range chicken eggs although the colder weather they are cooped more. We love to pickle Wild Leeks, also known as ramps. 

• Cheers 2
  • Love 1

I guess my last bit of advice here would be to eliminate as much processed food from your diet as possible. The stuff they put into food to give it shelf-life, a nice appearance, or an appealing taste is mostly for their benefit, not yours. Much like many other skills falling by the wayside, making food from scratch is quickly becoming a lost art.

• Love 2

1 minute ago, Fansince88 said:

Great suggestions. We do have a farmers market in the summer but our summer is so short of a season it really limits us. Amish blanket our area. We buy only locally grass fed beef. I have been known to plant tomatoes that grow peppers. LOL. Shop only local free range chicken eggs although the colder weather they are cooped more. We love to pickle Wild Leeks, also known as ramps. 

I stuff my freezer with my garden's fruits and we eat it all Winter and Spring. Obviously it doesn't cover our entire menu but it really does go a long way.

• Love 2

Jabba The Hutt
8 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

6 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I guess my last bit of advice here would be to eliminate as much processed food from your diet as possible. The stuff they put into food to give it shelf-life, a nice appearance, or an appealing taste is mostly for their benefit, not yours. Much like many other skills falling by the wayside, making food from scratch is quickly becoming a lost art.

If you have space plant some fruit trees, berries don't need much space either and are extremely nutritious as well as alkalizing.

Keep them small and you should still get all you can eat fruit with even a few trees.

Edited by Jabba The Hutt
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

If you have space plant some fruit trees, berries don't need much space either and are extremely nutritious as well as alkalizing.

I've got the berry garden, wish I had the room for fruit trees.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

Keep them small and you should still get all you can eat fruit with even a few trees.

Got apple and blueberry bushes. One of the apple trees died off. Have another planted. Also some plum trees planted. 

Edited by Fansince88
  • Cheers 2
  • Love 1

Jabba The Hutt
Just now, Foxx said:

I've got the berry garden, wish I had the room for fruit trees.

Let me put this in perspective, on a third of an acre we managed to get over 125 trees in Florida and still had plenty more to fit. Here in NY we plan to get at least 1000 per acre.

For somebody wanting enough fruit to feed their family you only need a couple trees. High density planting allows you to plant VERY close and pruning allows you to keep trees very small and compact. You can fit 8 ft trees in practically any yard. Even if you can't plant in the ground potted trees work as well!

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

Let me put this in perspective, on a third of an acre we managed to get over 125 trees in Florida and still had plenty more to fit. Here in NY we plan to get at least 1000 per acre.

For somebody wanting enough fruit to feed their family you only need a couple trees. High density planting allows you to plant VERY close and pruning allows you to keep trees very small and compact. You can fit 8 ft trees in practically any yard. Even if you can't plant in the ground potted trees work as well!

I hear ya. We have other considerations that need to be balanced in the equation though. One of them being we have dogs and they need room to stretch their legs, as it were. One has to have balance and dogs are a great factor in our equation here.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Jabba The Hutt
4 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Got apple and blueberry bushes. One of the apple trees died off. Have another planted. Also some plum trees planted. 

Sweet Cherries are fantastic, persimmons are great, can't beat peaches and nectarines! Mulberries are yummy.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...