Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Von out with Torn ACL

Big Gun

44 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

I have some work I need to do. I figured, procrastinate for a few minutes, do something pleasant, then get started on the work. So I checked things out here. Instead of something pleasant, I see this! 🙁

A huge setback.

21 minutes ago, Augie said:

This is clearly all your fault.   :classic_smile:

il_fullxfull.2279545641_9o13.jpg

• Haha 4

Years ago Hollywood and Science promised us the Six Million Dollar Man, they would make him "better than before".  All these years later and that promise has not come true. They should be able to just slap on a new leg and send him out there to play against the Jets.

Ok, I am mad and currently irrational, forgive me.

😜

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ann said:

More details

I wonder if this has been partially torn for a while and he’s played with it fine, like Thurman. I think Beane said something like “it wouldn’t hold”. They just happened to find it wasn’t fully intact.

If I’m looking for a bright side, at least we can get it all fixed at once and not miss ALL of next year because it went in camp or something. That’s all I got…….  🤷‍♂️

Billsandhorns
25 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

timeline won't be much better than Odell

about 12 months

then get in shape

It was the same timeline as Tre. injured on Thanksgiving. Played a little over a year later. 

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

It was the same timeline as Tre. injured on Thanksgiving. Played a little over a year later. 

There are different grades of tears, though.  Given that they found this through surgery, and not through an MRI, it may not be a severe tear or complete rupture, with less recovery time.  

On the other hand, surgery for any grade tear may have the same recovery time, regardless.  I honestly don't know.  My point is just that the situations can be significantly different.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

There are different grades of tears, though.  Given that they found this through surgery, and not through an MRI, it may not be a severe tear or complete rupture, with less recovery time.  

On the other hand, surgery for any grade tear may have the same recovery time, regardless.  I honestly don't know.  My point is just that the situations can be significantly different.

Come on,

Tell-me-something-good GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

3 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I haven't called you an idiot yet this week.

I will.

That is not at all the next stanza. It goes, tell me that you love me yeahhhhhh

• Haha 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
5 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

That is not at all the next stanza. It goes, tell me that you love me yeahhhhhh

You're an idiot.

Interpret that as you will.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 2

Beer__League__Hockey
13 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I have a ton of experience in this field.

That partial tear myth is more for the average Joe/Jane, and it is truly born out of insurance company cost control.  A "partial" ACL tear never heals, and the insurance company hope is the meat bag that gets that injury will become sedentary, lose their job & insurance, maybe die soon (they'd never say that), and ultimately become a burden on someone else's insurance policy/company.  Without a solid and intact ACL, that person will always have front to back knee instability and eventually destroy their meniscus material, wear away their bone cartilage, and need a TKR some day.

Once it is compromised the ACL will always be loose - think of it as a bungee cord that is now frayed.  The ACL does not get much blood flow and typically never heals.  MCLs & PCLs get blood flow and do regenerate their structure; that is why athletes usually do not need surgery for those injuries. 

So pretty much no matter the severity, an ACL injury in a high level athlete is the same course of action - cut out a piece of your hamstring, twist it up like a rope, completely remove preowned and abused ACL, and replace with new tight hamstring anchored at each end with metal posts.  Boom, new ACL.  Typically better than the other knee, once they are fully recovered.

Doctors can also use a piece of patellar tendon or cadaver tendon to create the new ACL, but those are slightly more risky and more for the average non athlete.  Professional athletes obviously go with the highest success surgery and quickest recovery option.

• FANtastic 5

Bad....Von Miller is out for the year. 

Good...the DL, even without Miller, is still heads and shoulders above last year's unit. 

Edited by RkFast
  • Like 1