Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Where would you rather be than right here, right now (time travel)?

snafu

If you had the choice to travel to any time and any place back in time, when and where would you go?

(A) one way trip

(2) you have six months to prepare

(c) you can't bring anything technologically advanced for the period you're traveling to

(iv) you are your 30 year old self

2 hours ago, snafu said:

If you had the choice to travel to any time and any place back in time, when and where would you go?

(A) one way trip

(c) you can't bring anything technologically advanced for the period you're traveling to

Can you bring knowledge back in terms to know what investments to make?  I'd love to go back to the post Civil War days here in the US.  Buy some premium land here in WNY.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Can you bring knowledge back in terms to know what investments to make?  I'd love to go back to the post Civil War days here in the US.  Buy some premium land here in WNY.  

Yep.

Thats part of the 6 month prep.

3 hours ago, snafu said:

(A) one way trip

My 30 year old self? Back to when I was 30 with the knowledge I have now, and extra prep for investments.

"The good ole days" before modern hygiene, women's suffrage, and modern medicine were not all that great for females.

13 minutes ago, Ann said:

My 30 year old self? Back to when I was 30 with the knowledge I have now, and extra prep for investments.

"The good ole days" before modern hygiene, women's suffrage, and modern medicine were not all that great for females.

You 30 year old self with the knowledge you had at 30, and 6 months to prep. (Yeah, I’m not sure how that would work.)

For me, I was focusing on the early 20th Century, like 1910. Start in Pittsburgh or something like that. Make investments in comapnies that got big supplying the European war machines (oil, rubber, steel). Get out of dodge before prohibition and find someplace relatively Depression proof. Maybe invent the Zippo lighter or something like that a few years before it came out — $ for the grandkids. 

Edited by snafu

3 minutes ago, snafu said:

You 30 year old self with the knowledge you had at 30, and 6 months to prep. (Yeah, I’m not sure how that would work.)

For me, I was focusing on the early 20th Century, like 1910. Start in Pittsburgh or something like that. Make investments in comapnies that got big supplying the European war machines (oil, rubber, steel). Get out of dodge before prohibition and find someplace relatively Depression proof. Maybe invent the Zippo lighter or something like that a few years before it came out — $ for the grandkids. 

Awww I want my 30 year old self with the knowledge I have today!

• Like 1

Can I just go back to the early 80s and use my paper route $ to start buying IBM, Oracle and Microsoft?

Actually, I'll say Southern California in the early 1960s. The country was free, open, cheap and beautiful. I have no desire to go back to the dark ages before relatively modern conveniences.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, snafu said:

The Depression was a great time to buy stocks.  The thing was to be out of the market by the fall of 1929 then jump back in during 1933 when the market had bottomed out.  Dupont would be the stock to buy around 1910 as they were a big supplier to the US and its allies during WWI.  Also buy big industrial concerns where possible  (Ford was still privately held and GM did not come to be until the 1920's) such as International Harvester and John Deere due to the boom in wheat production.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The Depression was a great time to buy stocks.  The thing was to be out of the market by the fall of 1929 then jump back in during 1933 when the market had bottomed out.  Dupont would be the stock to buy around 1910 as they were a big supplier to the US and its allies during WWI.  Also buy big industrial concerns where possible  (Ford was still privately held and GM did not come to be until the 1920's) such as International Harvester and John Deere due to the boom in wheat production.  

And indoor plumbing!

• FANtastic 1

4 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Can I just go back to the early 80s and use my paper route $ to start buying IBM, Oracle and Microsoft?

Actually, I'll say Southern California in the early 1960s. The country was free, open, cheap and beautiful. I have no desire to go back to the dark ages before relatively modern conveniences.

You said a mouthful with Microsoft.  I had the chance to buy at the IPO during 1986.  A lot of buzz on the Cornell Campus and I had nearly all the money to buy the 100 share minimum.  I did not buy because being a student I was not independently wealthy at that time and the brokers I talked to predicted maybe a value of 15 to 20 thousand dollars over the next dozen years off of the original 2,100 dollars.  A far cry from the 100 shares turning into 1.4 million dollars if the investment was left untouched other reinvesting dividends at the peak Dec 1, 1999.  Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to forget college a few years prior to March 1986 and just work like a dog to buy as much Microsoft stock as possible during the IPO.  Many sold off their IPO in short order in order to take a gain of several dollars per share off of the initial 21 dollars.  Why do it that way instead of just giving yourself the numbers for the lottery?  Privacy.  During my younger years I was unfortunate to be close in proximity to quite a number of people who had a major problem with jealousy.  To the point that they would actively try to undermine me.  

• Wow 1

46 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

The problem I have is that I study military history.  So all the times I'm well-equipped to go back and live in are pretty awful.  

But 10th century Baghdad would be interesting.  Work with Ibn Sina, maybe invent penicillin 900 years early.  

Yes, this is one reason why I was thinking 1910 or so.  Especially because WWI saw huge technology strides.  I figure, capitalize on the market for the materials that I know are going to be important, and then find someplace relatively quiet to get out of the way. I also figure that life was most likely much simpler then, yet it would still be somewhat recognizable.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mead107 said:

Would be fun to go back and not sell my 1,000 shares of Gilead science stock in 2004. 

I have plenty of that stock now...bought at something like $70 4 years ago...sumbitch still right there!You can take off my hands in a private transaction if ya like!

@Chef Jim, where are ya when i need ya!

• Haha 1

Tough one.  Could make a case to go back to my real 30th b-day and still be with my wife and family and just have a do-over.  Not that the first time through was bad, it's been great.  If I were to pick a different time I'd probably drop into 1968 to live through the moon landing again and work in the auto industry and make sure that the US automakers did better against the foreign competition that flourished in the latter 70's and later.  That and tip off many other industries about potential developments particularly in health care.

Edited by Ninety-4

14 hours ago, Ninety-4 said:

Tough one.  Could make a case to go back to my real 30th b-day and still be with my wife and family and just have a do-over.  Not that the first time through was bad, it's been great.  If I were to pick a different time I'd probably drop into 1968 to live through the moon landing again and work in the auto industry and make sure that the US automakers did better against the foreign competition that flourished in the latter 70's and beyond and later.  That and tip off many other industries about potential developments particularly in the health care.

I don't know if one man armed with knowledge of the future could have changed the fate of the US auto industry.  They had to get the bloody nose from Toyota, Honda, and Nissan to force them to innovate during the 1980's.  Delorean was forced from GM and Ioccoca from Ford because they tried to warn their bosses about the future.  

Going back to an earlier point in your life is interesting but the issue is raised that the primary version of yourself would still exist that experienced the disappointments in your life.  I would like to go back and warn myself about not passing up the Microsoft IPO which was within reach but who knows in that having too easy of a life means a person does not develop character.  Cough....Hunter Biden...cough.

Edited by RochesterRob

On 10/30/2020 at 12:36 PM, plenzmd1 said:

I have plenty of that stock now...bought at something like $70 4 years ago...sumbitch still right there!You can take off my hands in a private transaction if ya like!

@Chef Jim, where are ya when i need ya!

I think Jim is still trying to beat the S&P...

---------------------------------------------------------

If I had to pick, I might go with the 1940's or 1950's. Still late enough to have most modern-type conveniences, such as decent cars, indoor plumbing, reasonable medicine, etc., and getting in on the post-war economic boom would be grand.

Medieval times could be interesting. Could make a very comfortable living with even minimal knowledge of modern medical/engineering/chemistry stuff.