Jump to content

NFL did not experience spike in preseason injuries despite significant offseason limitations


Ann
 Share

Recommended Posts

I will be more curious about in-season injuries and if there was an uptick.  This could get interesting for future OTAs and minicamps.
 

The NFL did not see a spike in injuries this preseason despite the complete absence of offseason training programs caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
 

Players suffered 11 ACL tears and 16 MCL tears in preseason practices, which is in line with the averages from the last five years of 10.8 ACL tears and 13 MCL tears. In 2019 practices, there were just 7 ACL tears and 7 MCL tears, which were significant drops from previous years, but practices in 2020 included more contact to make up for the lack of preseason games.
 

"It's actually quite remarkable, given we had such an unusual offseason," said Dr. Allen Sills, the NFL's chief medical officer.

The number of concussions in preseason practices stayed flat from last season, at 30. Sills said the actual rate of preseason concussions was down in 2020, though, because there were more full-contact practices involving more players, meaning there was more exposure, but no increase in concussions.
 

</snip>

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Ann said:

I will be more curious about in-season injuries and if there was an uptick.  This could get interesting for future OTAs and minicamps.
 

The NFL did not see a spike in injuries this preseason despite the complete absence of offseason training programs caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
 

Players suffered 11 ACL tears and 16 MCL tears in preseason practices, which is in line with the averages from the last five years of 10.8 ACL tears and 13 MCL tears. In 2019 practices, there were just 7 ACL tears and 7 MCL tears, which were significant drops from previous years, but practices in 2020 included more contact to make up for the lack of preseason games.
 

"It's actually quite remarkable, given we had such an unusual offseason," said Dr. Allen Sills, the NFL's chief medical officer.

The number of concussions in preseason practices stayed flat from last season, at 30. Sills said the actual rate of preseason concussions was down in 2020, though, because there were more full-contact practices involving more players, meaning there was more exposure, but no increase in concussions.
 

</snip>

 

The premise of no injuries in "pre-season" is absolutely bogus

 

They didn't start hitting full tilt until the regular season, where the tackling has been for shit due to no practice

the injuries have also piled up during real games - not the pre-season

 

look at the Bills

most have been hindered by injury from game 1

 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FDR said:

Wasn't sure where to put this as the board doesn't like when I start ANY thread - lmao

 

 


It is already in the covid related thread. 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

 

The premise of no injuries in "pre-season" is absolutely bogus

 

They didn't start hitting full tilt until the regular season, where the tackling has been for shit due to no practice

the injuries have also piled up during real games - not the pre-season

 

look at the Bills

most have been hindered by injury from game 1

 

I think this year has shown that at least 2 preseason games are needed to assess rookies, condition veterans and evaluate free agents.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

I think this year has shown that at least 2 preseason games are needed to assess rookies, condition veterans and evaluate free agents.

I think you are right.  

  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

I think this year has shown that at least 2 preseason games are needed to assess rookies, condition veterans and evaluate free agents.


I would agree with that. It also appears it would help a lot of defenses to have some game-time to start to gel. Defense in September was pretty poor this year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Guidelines