Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Free Agency - 2023

Foxx

1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

How I wish he was 5 y younger...

Yeah, he's going to be like a thousand (or 37, same thing in football years) at the start of the season.  Is he worth it for rotational depth at vet minimum? 

• Like 2

Alaska Darin
1 minute ago, Ann said:

Yeah, he's going to be like a thousand (or 37, same thing in football years) at the start of the season.  Is he worth it for rotational depth at vet minimum? 

Yeah, on a 1-year vet minimum plus incentives I'd sign him.  He's still a big dude who knocks down a lot of passes and is good against the run.  Big time leader and a guy the younger interior dudes could learn from. 

• Cheers 2

Rochesterny

With regards to campbell. I would prefer Rousseau and epenesa younger guys really step up to major to be difference makers. Oliver it is time for him to really pick it up. Show if he can be a major force consistently. I don’t want old retread players in general. Miller is exception as he is still good.  Just my opinion.

• Cheers 2

Alaska Darin
59 minutes ago, Rochesterny said:

With regards to campbell. I would prefer Rousseau and epenesa younger guys really step up to major to be difference makers. Oliver it is time for him to really pick it up. Show if he can be a major force consistently. I don’t want old retread players in general. Miller is exception as he is still good.  Just my opinion.

Campbell is a DT.

• Cheers 2

SquirminThurman
45 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Campbell is a DT.

To be fair the poster you replied to went into pretty good detail about Oliver. Different types of DTs though.

And I'm pretty sure Campbell used to line up all over. Maybe not so much now, and he is good at what you said (run stuffing/ tipping passes)

I'd like to see what 2 D Jones (aka Sam Adams) types would do at DT. Their only job would be to hold up the LOS, clog it up and stuff anything that comes at them. Many of the worst beatings of the McDermott era are when teams can run inside with delays/ traps/ draw plays on inside runs. Usually a DT is washed or upfield and the RB is running for daylight with the huge holes left at the LB level in the nickel. Asking T Johnson/ Poyer/ Hyde to take on a Henry/ Taylor or Barkley with a full head of steam is not a good look or effective strategy.

• Cheers 2

Alaska Darin
9 minutes ago, SquirminThurman said:

To be fair the poster you replied to went into pretty good detail about Oliver. Different types of DTs though.

And I'm pretty sure Campbell used to line up all over. Maybe not so much now, and he is good at what you said (run stuffing/ tipping passes)

I'd like to see what 2 D Jones (aka Sam Adams) types would do at DT. Their only job would be to hold up the LOS, clog it up and stuff anything that comes at them. Many of the worst beatings of the McDermott era are when teams can run inside with delays/ traps/ draw plays on inside runs. Usually a DT is washed or upfield and the RB is running for daylight with the huge holes left at the LB level in the nickel. Asking T Johnson/ Poyer/ Hyde to take on a Henry/ Taylor or Barkley with a full head of steam is not a good look or effective strategy.

Far too many people are putting the onus on the DTs.  Overwhelmingly, the MLBer is either late reading his assignment, runs into the wrong gap, or gets driven into the secondary.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of big nickle defense - the proof has overwhelmingly shown it doesn't work against the better QBs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

SquirminThurman
11 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Far too many people are putting the onus on the DTs.  Overwhelmingly, the MLBer is either late reading his assignment, runs into the wrong gap, or gets driven into the secondary.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of big nickle defense - the proof has overwhelmingly shown it doesn't work against the better QBs.

I agree with you on both points too. But I'm not sure how many MLBs (does Buffalo even really play standard LB roles?) could do what is being asked. I was no Edmunds fan, but I do think he has an opportunity to excel in a standard 4-3. It's up to him and Eberfluss in Chicago to tap that potential and minimize those mistakes.

I grew up enjoying the Bermuda Triangle Defense, nicknamed so because RBs where no where to be found in the middle of the defense. We have the inverse where the DTs and LB are often no where to be found.

I'm not sure anyone can look at the DL performance and think that what is being tried is working against better teams. Suggesting Buffalo gets bigger up the middle at DT isn't a far flung idea.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

The Guy In Pants

Anyone else uneasy about our off season thus far? Not gloom and doom and not sugar coating a pile of dog shit; I'm just in the middle somewhere like "ho hum".

• Sad 1

Alaska Darin
3 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Anyone else uneasy about our off season thus far? Not gloom and doom and not sugar coating a pile of dog shit; I'm just in the middle somewhere like "ho hum".

Which is about how an offseason for a contending team should be.  When you're paying a franchise QB, you're not going to do splashy things.

Teams that win the offseason rarely do anything of substance that year.

• Like 2

Nouseforaname
17 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Which is about how an offseason for a contending team should be.  When you're paying a franchise QB, you're not going to do splashy things.

Can they get by the salary cap by giving bags of cash?  This happens in Italy by the way 😄

• Haha 2

Alaska Darin
11 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

Can they get by the salary cap by giving bags of cash?  This happens in Italy by the way 😄

Better known in NFL circles as the "Eddie DeBartolo".

• Haha 2

The Guy In Pants
1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

Yeah, I get that. Just afraid it won't be enough. Like McDermott's comments about Josh running and it begs the questions "what have you done to prevent it or make it not a necessity". Which they have made movements to curb it. I start to wonder if the Von Miller splash was worth it in the end. Guess time will tell.

10 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Not really.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
The NFL best players still available in 2023 free agency
CBS Sports | Apr 10

NFL free agency has taken somewhat of a backseat over the past week. Most of the big names have found their new NFL homes, and the 2023 NFL Draft is right around the corner. While the draft is where real teams are built, there's still talent out there waiting to be signed.

There are several starting caliber running backs, wide receivers and offensive linemen looking for new contracts. Below, we will break down the top three free agents at each offensive position, as we enter the month of April. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2023-nfl-mock-draft-titans-colts-trade-up-qbs-go-off-the-board-with-top-three-picks-will-levis-taken-late/

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 9:42 AM, Nouseforaname said:

better plan is to give a family member a no-show, high paid job

or stock options in the owners company 

you know like the govt does with kickbacks and graft

laundering money thru Ukraine is always an option with the right connections

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

better plan is to give a family member a no-show, high paid job

or stock options in the owners company 

you know like the govt does with kickbacks and graft

laundering money thru Ukraine is always an option with the right connections

art work

• Like 2