Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Free Agency - 2023

Foxx

31 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I dunno. The CBA seems to indicate differently(?).

C O L L E C T I V E B A R G A I N I N G AGREEMENT (bottom of page 33)

Additionally, looking at Murray's dead cap hit for '22, it was $110mm. I highly doubt that his rookie contract would come anywhere close to that number in year 4.

The reason his dead cap number for '22 is $110M is because of his signing bonus/the $103.3M he's guaranteed in the new contract that takes effect after his fifth season. 

I believe (and I could be wrong) that the renegotiation clause essentially means that you cannot extend a rookie beyond his initial contract until he completes his third year of service.  Everyone drafted after the first round only has a 4 year contract, so that's why the 3rd year thing is written that way.  It appears to be a way to keep the owners from shooting themselves in the foot because history tells us that's exactly what they'll do.

• Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

The reason his dead cap number for '22 is $110M is because of his signing bonus/the $103.3M he's guaranteed in the new contract that takes effect after his fifth season. 

I believe (and I could be wrong) that the renegotiation clause essentially means that you cannot extend a rookie beyond his initial contract until he completes his third year of service.  Everyone drafted after the first round only has a 4 year contract, so that's why the 3rd year thing is written that way.  It appears to be a way to keep the owners from shooting themselves in the foot because history tells us that's exactly what they'll do.

Okay.

:beer:

• Cheers 2

SquirminThurman
On 2/16/2023 at 4:13 PM, Ann said:

I am not sure about signing him….

Not interested. This team needs to get younger and cheaper. May be a bit of a retool year this year to clean up cap issues, draft and see what the young guys can do.

22 hours ago, Ann said:

Edmunds...

they will re-sign Edmunds

they drafted him to run this very specific defense

the defense does not work without his skill set.

Although changing defensive scheme would placate many fans - Bills brass does not agree

• Boo 1

1 hour ago, Ann said:

Tennessee released Robert Woods (cap move). Any interest? 

If he's healthy...but he hasn't been in a long time.  I love his blocking/toughness.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

Ageist

Don't get me wrong - I love the guy.  He's a HOF player and a tremendous leader but I don't think he fits schematically or financially.

Deranged Rhino

Now that the sting of the Cinci loss is finally wearing off, I really wonder what big move GMBB is going to make. I know he said they're not going to make one, but he said that last year too right before they got VM. I don't know if it'll be a signing or a trade, but I'm guessing he's going to make a big move that doesn't involve Poyer or Edmunds.

The Buffalo Plus podcast speculated (just speculated, not reporting anything) that they could see them trading Ed for picks and space... that wouldn't be my cup of tea but I can't see Beane sitting on his hands this off season.

• Cheers 3

"He was never a speed/burst/athleticism WR, so he's still a useful pass catcher. "

I call bull$hit. Robert Woods had speed and burst coming out of USC. It was wasted on EJ.
Then when he was older there was another QB that could only throw the ball 2 yards short of the 1st down marker.

• Cheers 2

Nouseforaname
57 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Don't get me wrong - I love the guy.  He's a HOF player and a tremendous leader but I don't think he fits schematically or financially.

I’ll take your word for it I’m not as well versed as you are.

Nouseforaname
37 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Now that the sting of the Cinci loss is finally wearing off, I really wonder what big move GMBB is going to make. I know he said they're not going to make one, but he said that last year too right before they got VM. I don't know if it'll be a signing or a trade, but I'm guessing he's going to make a big move that doesn't involve Poyer or Edmunds.

The Buffalo Plus podcast speculated (just speculated, not reporting anything) that they could see them trading Ed for picks and space... that wouldn't be my cup of tea but I can't see Beane sitting on his hands this off season.

Saw a potential for 50m in cap savings if restructures are done.

I don’t think he’ll sit on his hands either.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...