Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Things That Grind Your Gears

Robs House

Packrats. :mad2:

I cleaned out the pantry today and found my husband's "I'm gonna use that!" stash. I tossed all the expired crap, the oldest stuff expired in 2014. Then I left him a pile he needed to go through himself.  :mmph:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ann said:

Then I left him a pile he needed to go through himself.  :mmph:

You left a few words off the end of this sentence: "... before 2026." 😁 See, I, too, have a pile of crap I need to go through. It's from 2014. I even moved with it! Just threw it in a bunch of trash bags, and it got garage-to-garage service. It never, ever gets done. 🍻

• Haha 1

Just now, Sum Ting Wong said:

You left a few words off the end of this sentence: "... before 2026." 😁 See, I, too, have a pile of crap I need to go through. It's from 2014. I even moved with it! Just threw it in a bunch of trash bags, and it got garage-to-garage service. It never, ever gets done. 🍻

Moved with it? We still have several boxes down the basement from Hubby's move across state ... in 2005.  :classic_dry: They better contain the crown jewels or I will be sorely disappointed when those boxes are finally opened.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

All the a holes who are too busy to use a turn signal leaving me waiting at the light instead of on my way.  

I gotta admit, I do this sometimes, but only in very limited situations...

—only when I’m trolling the neighborhood for a parking spot.

—only when I’m the first car at a red light.

—only when I’m going to turn right to look for a spot down that street (No right on red in NYC).

—only when the car across from me has his left hand turn signal on.

Sometimes the left turn guy will jump the light and get my precious spot. Less likely to do that if he thinks I’m going straight thru the intersection.  Some times I lose the game because of a straggling pedestrian. But losing a spot = 15 minutes looking for another spot, minimum, if the timing is wrong.

46 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Cleaned out the pantry a few years ago, and we found a can of pineapple from 2003.  

We moved in together in 2004, and moved to this house in 2005.  So one of us (probably me, to be honest) packed an expired can of pineapple through two moves.  

So did you eat it? 

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Didn't even open it.

Though I was tempted, for scientific reasons, to open it. The can wasn't bulging, which surprised me.  But ultimately decided that whatever it had morphed into would turn me off pineapple forever, and didn't want to look.

Could have put it on pizza 🍕 

In the old days if the can was not bulging it was still good. 

What grinds my gears — people who refuse to listen to facts inconvenient to their cause. I.e., Democrats who won’t pay the Hunter stories any heed. 

COVID LockDown A thing to do: we went through our pantry last week and ditched about two garbage bags of old expired and/or open containers of chips, crackers, etc. that were stale or something we decided we weren’t interested in keeping them just aging - unlike fine wine and cheese. 

We both cook a lot and I’ve got quite an array of spices I’ve collected for various cuisines. I heed to go through my spice drawer and cabinet to joe out some things. That’s not to mention my sausage making spice mixes.  

It’s weird going into a super market looking at the spice racks. I bought a kilo of whole cloves at an Asian Market near Princeton for about 2 bucks. A four ounce jar of McCormick runs about $5 - $6. 

• Like 2

On 10/30/2020 at 1:04 AM, Teddy KGB said:

All the a holes who are too busy to use a turn signal leaving me waiting at the light instead of on my way.  

Let  me have an Amen to that!  

I get furious when someone turns on their signal halfway through the turn; or when I sit behind them at a light, the light turns green, a hesitation, then he/she turns on the signal.  Then there are those who appear to have bought a less expensive automobile because there are obviously NO $@#%ing turn signals installed.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Keukasmallie said:

Let  me have an Amen to that!  

I get furious when someone turns on their signal halfway through the turn; or when I sit behind them at a light, the light turns green, a hesitation, then he/she turns on the signal.  Then there are those who appear to have bought a less expensive automobile because there are obviously NO $@#%ing turn signals installed.

Nah, they're just out of blinker fluid.

• Haha 1

On 10/30/2020 at 1:52 PM, Chandemonium said:

People using literally when they mean figuratively.

finding reverse when I’m trying to hit 4th. 

Another one that irks me is when so many people use a word incorrectly that its definition changes. For example, using the word decimate as a synonym for destroy, so much so that the dictionary now defines it as such. The original definition was to reduce by one-tenth. 

• Like 2

CarpetCrawler

How the word that had always been pronounced "off-in" suddenly became "off-tin".  

When i was a kid in elementary school, it was a sign of a poor education if you didn't know the t was silent.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, AZ. said:

Another one that irks me is when so many people use a word incorrectly that its definition changes. For example, using the word decimate as a synonym for destroy, so much so that the dictionary now defines it as such. The original definition was to reduce by one-tenth. 

Not just that, but one in ten Legionnaires were required to step forward, and their buddies were required to slay them. 

Brutal discipline. 

• Like 1