Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

DeAndre Hopkins/[Permission to seek trade/Its now or never/Elvis] Released!

Figster

Alaska Darin
2 hours ago, SquirminThurman said:

I've been saying this all along. Hopkins is a 'VOLUME WR.' He always has been, even going back to Houston. This is not to slight the guy. He is a very solid WR, but none of his metrics stood out in Houston, much less now. He needs to be fed to produce. He is and has always been mediocre per target.

Are you taking targets from Diggs? Davis didn't even have 100 targets last year in 15 games, are you taking his targets away? We all thought Knox needed more targets, are his dropping? Now you add Kincaide should we not target the rookie?

Look at 2022 again:

Hopkins: 9 games/ 96 targets/ 64 rec/ 717 yards/ 11.2 ypc/ 3 TD/ 35 1st downs

Davis: 15 games/ 93 targets/ 48 rec/ 836 yards/ 17.4 ypc/ 7 TD/ 35 1st downs

Hopkins basically got 2x the targets per game than Davis.

Hopkins targets/ game = 10.7

Davis targets/ game = 6.2

Who produced more on fewer total targets, and fewer targets per game?

836 yards > 717 Yards

17.4 YPC > 11.2 YPC

7 TD > 3 TD

35 1st downs = 35 1st downs

All of those metrics favor Gabe Davis. All of them.

It's even worse for Hopkins when you consider his high 'catch percentage'.

Davis did FAR MORE per catch AND per target than Hopkins the past two years, and Davis costs a fraction of Hopkins salary.

Davis and Hopkins are diametrically opposed. Davis puts up exceptional numbers in multiple metrics based on volume and catch. Hopkins needs higher volume to put up lesser metrics.

From the article Anne noted:

That said, there’s a healthy divide on exactly what Hopkins has left. I asked one veteran team executive what’s still there, and he answered, via text, “Not much. He can’t run anymore.” Another answer was pretty different—“He’s still a good player. Good route runner, big, physical target that can play a ball in the air. He’s still a threat.” And a third played both sides of it.

“Still great hands, he is not going to separate, not much of a deep threat, but very strong, and makes contested catches as well as anyone in the NFL,” the AFC exec said. “Does not love to practice—I can’t imagine that’ll get any better. And when things don’t go well, you’re always gonna be leery, All right, what kind of drama are we gonna get from this guy? When things are great, he’s great. When things go south, his true colors show a little bit."

I'm relieved to see some NFL personnel say the same things I have been saying all along.

People say these things but they always discount the other 10 personnel on the field AND the coaching.  Let's just be kind and say the Cardinals' offense was VERY bad/predictable, so using it as a comparison to one of the NFL's arguably 2 best offenses isn't really worth the words.

• Cheers 5

45 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I would laugh a lot.

"Gauging multiple teams"...one will probably get gouged.

• Like 4

Alaska Darin
4 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

"Gauging multiple teams"...one will probably get gouged.

That's 100% an agent release.  If DHop signs with Houston, it's a big whatever for the rest of his career.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Nanker said:

Don’t need him. Really a nice to have, but we don’t need him. 

I'm coming around to this conclusion as well.  Between the potential for additional focus on the TEs and running game, plus the development of Shakir, Harty signing, etc., they are not lacking for weapons.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I'm coming around to this conclusion as well.  Between the potential for additional focus on the TEs and running game, plus the development of Shakir, Harty signing, etc., they are not lacking for weapons.

That’s how I see it. It’s mostly on the Defense that our chances have gotten screwed. 

21 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

He’ll look real good as a Flaming Thumbtack, watching the playoffs from Cancun. 

Edited by Nanker
Autocorrect

SquirminThurman

IMO The Floyd singing put the kaibash on Hopkins, and may be just as important. As great as the Bills D has been ranked through the past few regular seasons, it struggled to generate pass rush when it mattered in the playoffs. Floyd is an 8-10 sack guy and should help. I really like it and think Floyd > Hopkins to this team. It also tells me the Bills probably offered 8-10 million to Hopkins team and they refused, so the Bills spent that 8-10 Million on Floyd. Wise move if Dhop did not want to play for that 'discount'. It also shows D-Hop's actual intentions, which is still $$$. Poona Ford and Floyd both settled for 'decent paychecks' and team friendly deals to join the Bills and a chance at a ring.

BTW just because I have been critical of Hopkins, doesn't mean I dislike him or what he has done in the NFL. I can dislike the current game and probable ROI without disliking the player. D-Hop has been a terrific WR.

The Oliver extension probably put an end to Davis extending here. Buffalo also has a TON of dead-cap space on voidable years in 2024-2026, so extensions are going to be tough. This is why people like me keep speaking of 'windows'. The Bills have entered dangerous voidable year territory. The draft has to count now.

I am all for a good pass rush and I hope we see the best of big Ed to come. I hope OBD realizes he needs a big space eating/ double team eater at 1 gap DT to get the best out of Oliver (3 gap with short arms) and plan on drafting one early soon.

As for Davis he is a 1990's-2000 style WR2. I like that type personally. (Think Alvin Harper or Lee Evans). I think a lot of Bills fans unfairly blamed him for the total collapse of production at WR3 last season. Davis is very good at what he does and will be a priority FA after next year.

All of that taken in, I like having 3 or 4, 8 to10 sack a year guys and I think this defense will be a real force and less of a paper tiger this year. That will help the offense and ST even more with field position and turnovers when in it counts.

I'm feeling better this offseason than last offseason.

Edited by SquirminThurman
  • Like 4
  • Cheers 3

IDBillzFan
2 minutes ago, SquirminThurman said:

I think a lot of Bills fans unfairly blamed him for the total collapse of production at WR3 last season. Davis is very good at what he does and will be a priority FA after next year.

As a self-described homer, I believe Davis is going to take all the criticisms, combine it with the DHop talk, and use it to push himself into a great year. I don't know that he'll ever be a WR1, but he absolutely is underappreciated, in my homer mind.

• Like 2

SquirminThurman
9 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

As a self-described homer, I believe Davis is going to take all the criticisms, combine it with the DHop talk, and use it to push himself into a great year. I don't know that he'll ever be a WR1, but he absolutely is underappreciated, in my homer mind.

Last season and this off-season I realized I am Gabe Davis' #1 fan. I do not think he will ever be a WR#1 in the NFL. But he is a very dangerous and underappreciated #2. I really look forward to this season with Diggs/ Davis/ Kincaid and Knox. I stick by my assertion Kincaid is going to be the WR3 with Knox still at TE. Kincaid lined up in slot makes a lot of mess for the defense, even before motion. Imagine lining up Nickel to stop him in slot, then he motions to TE 2 and the Bills are now in 12 personnel...

I also think the drafting of Shorter is going under the radar. He could emerge as a real beast in the next 2-3 seasons. Think AJ Brown or DK Metcalf ceiling. Any WR who can get open by size, speed, quickness, knowledge will get fed. Shorter has a few of these traits going for him. If he puts in the 'brain work' he could be a real weapon for the rest of JA's career.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1