Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Baseball

KD in CA

On 7/23/2021 at 10:49 AM, B-Man said:

Posted this little history lesson on FB:

They shall always be the Indians to me!
Little history for you. History that has been erased. We must not be offended!  
Louis Francis Sockalexis (October 24, 1871 – December 24, 1913), nicknamed The Deerfoot of the Diamond, was an American baseball player. Sockalexis played professional baseball in the National League for three seasons, spending his entire career (1897-1899) as an outfielder for the Cleveland Spiders.

A Native American from the Penobscot tribe, Sockalexis is often identified as the first person of Native American ancestry to play in the National League

Although Sockalexis had a brief career, he faced many obstacles during his time in professional baseball. It was reported that fans of the opposing teams often shouted racial slurs toward him due to his Penobscot heritage. Additionally, fans imitated war whoops and war dances in his presence. Later, when sports journalists attributed his rapid decline to alcoholism, they identified the disease as the inherent "Indian weakness".

When the Cleveland Naps changed their name to the Indians in 1915, the franchise reportedly did so to honor Sockalexis. The Indians' official media guide says that the owners solicited sportswriters to ask fans for their favorite nickname, and the name Indians was chosen by a young girl who wrote to one of the sportswriters whose column requested suggestions. She specifically mentioned Sockalexis and his heritage. Sockalexis had died two years earlier.

• Cheers 1

I’m currently havin a beeah in the bah outside Fenway.  If tha rain stops pissin I’m gonna see the Saux kick tha Yankees asses!!  

Sweet Caroline baby!

• Like 1
  • Boo 1

7 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I’m currently havin a beeah in the bah outside Fenway.  If tha rain stops pissin I’m gonna see the Saux kick tha Yankees asses!!  

Sweet Caroline baby!

Stayed at the Verb in Sept 2019, walked over and watched the Yankees beat the Red Sox 4-0 while wearing my Yankee hat.
Dat said, dis year I might agree wit da seven inning chant youse got goin on over dare.
I might even start a thread ATOP on hows Miss St could beat the Yankees dis year. /heavy sarcasm

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Posted this little history lesson on FB:

They shall always be the Indians to me!
Little history for you. History that has been erased. We must not be offended!  
Louis Francis Sockalexis (October 24, 1871 – December 24, 1913), nicknamed The Deerfoot of the Diamond, was an American baseball player. Sockalexis played professional baseball in the National League for three seasons, spending his entire career (1897-1899) as an outfielder for the Cleveland Spiders.

A Native American from the Penobscot tribe, Sockalexis is often identified as the first person of Native American ancestry to play in the National League

Although Sockalexis had a brief career, he faced many obstacles during his time in professional baseball. It was reported that fans of the opposing teams often shouted racial slurs toward him due to his Penobscot heritage. Additionally, fans imitated war whoops and war dances in his presence. Later, when sports journalists attributed his rapid decline to alcoholism, they identified the disease as the inherent "Indian weakness".

When the Cleveland Naps changed their name to the Indians in 1915, the franchise reportedly did so to honor Sockalexis. The Indians' official media guide says that the owners solicited sportswriters to ask fans for their favorite nickname, and the name Indians was chosen by a young girl who wrote to one of the sportswriters whose column requested suggestions. She specifically mentioned Sockalexis and his heritage. Sockalexis had died two years earlier.

Well, that unwoke little bitch should have thought about what she was asking 106 years ago...

Minorities aren't there to be honored for their achievements, they exist so that woke whitey can protect them from themselves!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Koko said:

Well, that unwoke little bitch should have thought about what she was asking 106 years ago...

Minorities aren't there to be honored for their achievements, they exist so that woke whitey can protect them from themselves!

Yes! How far we have come......er uh fallen

14 hours ago, B-Man said:

Good Lord............

Rooting for maximum embarrassment for the Tribe and MLB on this one....

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Well, I have been a Chicago Cubs fan since 1969.

This kind of feels like that...........

:soapbox:

Tough day for Cubs fans.  Terrific core all gone in one shot.   Too bad for them they couldn't keep the pitching going.

Glad the Mets got one of them, they need some help!