Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Baseball

KD in CA

2 minutes ago, snafu said:

Bills, Sabres, Red Sox.

Married a Mets fan. 

It's funny to me how much Red Sox fans hate the Yankees.  I still don't hate the Red Sox because they really weren't a rival most of my life.   When the Red Sox finally won,  a small part of me was happy because they had a far more likeable roster than the Yankees did at the time. 

I friggin' hate ARod, though he's grown on me as an analyst. 

1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

It's funny to me how much Red Sox fans hate the Yankees.  I still don't hate the Red Sox because they really weren't a rival most of my life.   When the Red Sox finally won,  a small part of me was happy because they had a far more likeable roster than the Yankees did at the time. 

My wife, the Mets fan, described losing to the Yankees in the subway Series as falling into a not too deep pit that you can’t easily climb out of.  It had Yankee fans ringing the rim, pointing and mocking while you try. 

We’d drive up the deegan expressway past Yankee stadium when our kids were young.  We’d sniff the air and ask them what that horrid smell was.  They’d always look over, point, and yell “it’s Yankee Stadium”!  Then the new one was built, and they’d (a bit older) say “ that place looks nice”. 

Me, I always liked Steinbrenner.  My dad was an avid Yankee fan.  We would talk about the others’ teams regularly.  It helped our relationship. When I was young and the Sox were leading the division early, he’d always just say to wait until Labor Day.  He was always right.  

As for the Sox team that won it in 2004, you’re right.  They had personality. Pedro was my favorite — even with the Zimmer incident. Ortiz was likeable that year, but became obsessed with himself and his importance to the team. I grew to really dislike him. 

17 minutes ago, snafu said:

Isles new arena is going up just outside Belmont. Looks good from the outside..

Lamoriello put that team straight for sure.

They did well in the playoffs seemed a bit less agressive a few games and that caused them the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I was the same.

Did not care for him as a person, but he is a very good analyst.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Ouch... even if you are old enough to remember the Islanders dynasty,  that's a lot of sucking.

Im thst old. Smith was a great tender for us. I was born in 70. That said, have not been able to watch games until this year. High speed internet is a wonderful thing.

Billsandhorns
52 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Are you old enough to remember the good teams with Brett, Otis, Patek, Quiz, etc?

Yep, those were the good ole days. Brett was my favorite player. I wore #5 in little league because of him

50 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

Yep, those were the good ole days. Brett was my favorite player. I wore #5 in little league because of him

Almost funny to see Bill Martin watching while Brett says hold my beer 🍺

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Billsandhorns
3 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Almost funny to see Bill Martin watching while Brett says hold my beer 🍺

That was odd, I don't remember pine tar ever being a problem before. I saw it high on a lot of bats. Even after that incident

20 hours ago, Billsandhorns said:

I really liked those teams too. Brett, obviously...but they had so many good players.  I was also partial to Hal McRae, Willie Wilson, and Frank White.  They were loaded.

• Like 1

Billsandhorns
12 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I really liked those teams too. Brett, obviously...but they had so many good players.  I was also partial to Hal McRae, Willie Wilson, and Frank White.  They were loaded.

They really were. I loved watching them play.

On 11/13/2020 at 9:44 PM, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

It’s an absolute disaster for the advancement of women in men’s sports if she doesn’t do better than at least 30% of the league’s GMs.

This. If she doesn't win, she's Danica Patrick sans the looks.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
On 11/27/2020 at 12:30 PM, Alaska Darin said:

Ichiro just played the game the right way.  Every tool in the book and still a humble guy who played to win.  He should have been exponentially more popular but playing in that city, in that time zone he was almost a secret to the average fan.

I used to love watching guys test his arm.  That dude could flat out sling it.

He’s one of my absolute all-time favorites.

One of those guys you had to watch play, on par with Rickey Henderson and Mookie Betts.

He could have hit for a ton of power had he wanted to. His BP displays were the stuff of legends.

To where he played? I think Seattle was the perfect spot for him with it’s huge Japanese population.

15 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

Scully was the greatest.

But I really wish that video was a bit longer so we could’ve seen his reaction when Dykstra took him deep a minute later.

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

He’s one of my absolute all-time favorites.

One of those guys you had to watch play, on par with Rickey Henderson and Mookie Betts.

He could have hit for a ton of power had he wanted to. His BP displays were the stuff of legends.

To where he played? I think Seattle was the perfect spot for him with it’s huge Japanese population.

My point was more about how little the rest of the US knew about him and a little bit of how inconsistent they were at surrounding him with talent.  He had one of the greatest seasons I've ever seen the year he hit .372 with 262 hits and only like 60ish strikeouts.  They lost around 100 games because the biggest addtional batting threat on the roster was Brett Boone, who finished with around 80 RBIs.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

He was the third most dominant college football player I ever saw, behind Megatron and Hershel Walker and just ahead of Aaron Donald.  Insane natural ability. 

(Caveat to this post:  I don't follow college football anywhere nearly as close as the NFL.  I've seen most of the bigger games over the years but I don't sit down anymore and watch CFB all day like I used to.  Now it's mostly just ND.  So my exposure to guys in the last 15-20 years is more limited.  ND had huge problems with Megatron and Donald.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 2:04 AM, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

4F98F3A6-B27B-444B-BF08-AC3927BFC4B1.jpeg

These days, what would the penalty be for punching an umpire? A one-year suspension or a lifetime ban?