Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Baseball

KD in CA

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
26 minutes ago, Sum Ting Wong said:

These days, what would the penalty be for punching an umpire? A one-year suspension or a lifetime ban?

I’d imagine it would be stern, but probably not a full year.  I’m guessing something in the neighborhood of 20 games.

On 11/11/2020 at 7:19 AM, Uncle Joe said:

MLB was cutting back on the minor leagues before the pandemic. It will be interesting to see what franchises survive.

Salem-Keizer didn't make the cut.
I had the privilege of having a few beers once with Jack Hiatt back when he was the director of player development for the Giants. He was in charge when they developed their teams that eventually won the World Series through the farm system.
"Salem-Keizer has helped develop several of the top Giants players and prospects over the years including Buster Posey, Tim Lincecum, Pablo Sandoval, Joe Nathan, Sergio Romo, Brandon Crawford and most recently Joey Bart."
https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/sports/2020/12/11/salem-keizer-volcanoes-affiliation-san-francisco-giants-ends/3875421001/

Edited by Uncle Joe
  • Sad 1

^

I read an article this morning suggesting new nicknames for the Indians.  Suggestions included the Spiders (meh), the Caps (after Cap Anson -- that one's kinda cool), and the Cuyahogas, after the river.   

Obvious problem with the last one is, what do they do when the SJWs start demanding we change the names of racist bodies of water?

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

^

I read an article this morning suggesting new nicknames for the Indians.  Suggestions included the Spiders (meh), the Caps (after Cap Anson -- that one's kinda cool), and the Cuyahogas, after the river.   

Obvious problem with the last one is, what do they do when the SJWs start demanding we change the names of racist bodies of water?

How 'bout the Flaming Sh*t Flows?  Also named after the river.

Of course there's always Cleveland Baseball Team, or CBT, which would immediately make old time Nutmeg Staters recall the pre-bank consolidation days of CT Bank & Trust.

18 hours ago, KD in CA said:

^

And then there’s city/town and state names. Is Indianapolis, Indiana a double negative?

Seriously though, I hear there’s a lot of polish people in Cleveland. I have the perfect name. I can’t wait to see that logo. 

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, B-Man said:

RIP, losing so many from my youth.

"Niekro joined Lou Brock, Whitey Ford, Bob Gibson, Al Kaline, Joe Morgan and Tom Seaver as Hall of Famers who died in 2020 — the most ever to pass away in a calendar year, according to Hall of Fame spokesman Jon Shestakofsky.

“These names, and these men, will be remembered forever in Cooperstown,” he said."

Phil Niekro min.jpg

Edited by Uncle Joe
Apologize for the rotated photo
  • Like 1
  • FANtastic 1

18 hours ago, B-Man said:

He was amazing because he lasted so long with pretty much just a knuckleball in his arsenal.  I remember when he signed with the Yankees he was already in his mid-40s and my dad and I were like "really?"  Dude went out and was the ace of the staff the first season.

He ended up pitching in the majors until he was almost 50. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

He was amazing because he lasted so long with pretty much just a knuckleball in his arsenal.  I remember when he signed with the Yankees he was already in his mid-40s and my dad and I were like "really?"  Dude went out and was the ace of the staff the first season.

He ended up pitching in the majors until he was almost 50. 

A friend of mine posted that he saw him pitch against Clemens in Fenway and it was just such a contrast of styles to watch.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

A friend of mine posted that he saw him pitch against Clemens in Fenway and it was just such a contrast of styles to watch.

I bet.  I used to love to watch Maddux (my favorite player of all time) pitch against the big time power pitchers like Randy Johnson for much the same reason.

• Like 1

48 years ago we lost a great player and a better man..........

roberto-clemente-career-retrospective.jp

Roberto Clemente: Career retrospective

Typically, when we write career retrospectives, usually we are talking about living legends and can talk about their post-career lives. They turn to television or coaching and make Hall of Fame speeches. Unfortunately, none of that was possible for Roberto Clemente. His incredible career, and life, were cut short tragically. And yet, even in death his impact – both on and off the field – is still being felt. Let’s take a look back at everything Clemente managed to achieve before he was taken away from us far too soon.

More at the link: 

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/roberto_clemente_career_retrospective/s1__33449624#slide_1

• FANtastic 2

Cannot express enough how thrilled I am about Steve Cohen (and his lovely wife) owning the Mets. All the money he has and his aggressive nature aside, Im just thrilled that my favorite baseball team is owned by, from all accounts shown so far, decent human beings and a decent family. Contrast with previous ownership who were not just horrible owners but horrible people.

On the negative side Im seeing a ton of Veruca Salt "I WANT IT NOW!!!" attitude from Mets fans who want a front office of all star execs, ALL the free agents available signed, and current Mets like Conforto locked up to long term deals, and they want that all done by the time the team heads to Florida next month.

Edited by RkFast
  • Like 2