Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Baseball

KD in CA

22 hours ago, B-Man said:

16 hours ago — ESPN News Services ... The New York Yankees added another bounce-back candidate to their starting rotation Sunday, acquiring Jameson ...

That seems like a risky move. 

4 prospects is a lot, even if only 2 turn out good.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, snafu said:

That seems like a risky move. 

4 prospects is a lot, even if only 2 turn out good.

There's a much higher chance that NONE of them turn out to be good.  The Yankees are in "win now" mode.  None of those guys are part of that plan. 

If Taillon returns to form, he's a stud and easily the best major leaguer in the deal.  He projects as a 2nd or 3rd guy.  As a Yankee fan, I love this trade.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

First time in a while, but that’s okay with me. It is the Hall of Fame, too many “tweeners” get in IMO

1 hour ago — The Baseball Hall of Fame's class of 2021 will be an empty one. Zero candidates met the 75% threshold from the ...

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
15 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

There's a much higher chance that NONE of them turn out to be good.  The Yankees are in "win now" mode.  None of those guys are part of that plan. 

If Taillon returns to form, he's a stud and easily the best major leaguer in the deal.  He projects as a 2nd or 3rd guy.  As a Yankee fan, I love this trade.

The Yankees are making a very strange go of their rotation this year. It’s Cole, three guys who didn’t pitch last year due to major injury, and two guys who were terrible.

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
10 hours ago, B-Man said:

First time in a while, but that’s okay with me. It is the Hall of Fame, too many “tweeners” get in IMO

1 hour ago — The Baseball Hall of Fame's class of 2021 will be an empty one. Zero candidates met the 75% threshold from the ...

I disagree. I find this to be inexcusable.

There are at least seven obvious HOFers on the current ballot: Clemens, Bonds, Schilling, Visquel, Rolen, Wagner, and Sheffield.

14 voters had the audacity to submit a blank ballot. The three most obvious candidates are being screwed over politics and writers who imagine themselves to be bigger than the game they cover.

Schilling is being black balled by leftist sports writers, some of whom have stated they are punishing him for his views. He has asked to be removed from the ballot.

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

I disagree. I find this to be inexcusable.

There are at least seven obvious HOFers on the current ballot: Clemens, Bonds, Schilling, Visquel, Rolen, Wagner, and Sheffield.

14 voters had the audacity to submit a blank ballot. The three most obvious candidates are being screwed over politics and writers who imagine themselves to be bigger than the game they cover.

Schilling is being black balled by leftist sports writers, some of whom have stated they are punishing him for his views. He has asked to be removed from the ballot.

I'm pretty surprised he's gotten as much traction as he has (baseball wise).  He had a couple of excellent seasons during a mostly average career (granted, most of his prime was wasted on some pretty bad Phillies' teams).  When you add his devout conservatism to the mix, it's pretty impressive that he got so close.

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
51 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'm pretty surprised he's gotten as much traction as he has (baseball wise).  He had a couple of excellent seasons during a mostly average career (granted, most of his prime was wasted on some pretty bad Phillies' teams).  When you add his devout conservatism to the mix, it's pretty impressive that he got so close.

This doesn’t factor in his post-season performances. He’s one of the greatest post season starters in the history of the game. 11-2 in 19 starts with a 2.23 ERA, with an .0968 WHIP and 120 Ks against 25 BBs across 133 IP; winning 3 WS and garnering a WS MVP.

In addition to that, he’s a 6 time All-Star, lead the league in Wins twice with 8 seasons of 15 wins or more, has three seasons of 300 or more strikeouts with a career total of 3116 ranking him 15th all time, and 3 second place finishes in CY balloting.

As far as Hall of Fame credentials go, he’s better than the average HOFer as his position.

7AFCA06A-F738-4384-BD80-2199EB41A475.jpeg

4 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

This doesn’t factor in his post-season performances. He’s one of the greatest post season starters in the history of the game. 11-2 in 19 starts with a 2.23 ERA, with an .0968 WHIP and 120 Ks against 25 BBs across 133 IP; winning 3 WS and garnering a WS MVP.

In addition to that, he’s a 6 time All-Star, lead the league in Wins twice with 8 seasons of 15 wins or more, has three seasons of 300 or more strikeouts with a career total of 3116 ranking him 15th all time, and 3 second place finishes in CY balloting.

As far as Hall of Fame credentials go, he’s better than the average HOFer as his position.

I know.  I like Schilling.  I also think there are far too many undeserving people already in the Hall.  I wouldn't be mad if they voted him in, I just wouldn't if I had a ballot.  And obviously it has nothing to do with his politics.

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
10 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I know.  I like Schilling.  I also think there are far too many undeserving people already in the Hall.  I wouldn't be mad if they voted him in, I just wouldn't if I had a ballot.  And obviously it has nothing to do with his politics.

Gotcha.

I’m more of a “Big Hall” guy.

I didn’t used to be, but came to realize that Modern Era players are widely under-represented in the Hall, while many players elected prior to the 1980’s were quite undeserving by modern standards; but because no one alive ever saw them play, it’s undiscussed.

In light of Canada's latest B.S.

1 day ago — Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is announcing stricter restrictions on travelers in response to new, likely more contagious variants of ...

Any talk of Blue Jays in Buffalo again................with some fans :excited:
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 3:17 PM, B-Man said:

As a Cub fan................I don't like it.

The St. Louis Cardinals  just traded for Nolan Arenado

nolan-arenado.jpg&cfs=1&ext=jpg&_nc_cb=1

What's a amazing is the (thus far) reported return.  They literally gave away the best 3rd baseman in the game to a team in their own league.  The Cardinals are now set at their infield corners for the foreseeable future.  The rest of the lineup isn't very scary but having Goldie and Arenado in the middle of the order is formidable and both play excellent defense.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Pedroia officially retires.  I'm no fan of the Sox, but it's hard not to like gritty players who go all out.  Shame to have had his career ended by injury.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30816259/boston-red-sox-dustin-pedroia-announces-retirement-mlb

As Yankees fan he was one of those players you hated on the opposing bench but wished he was on your team.
Sounds like he made a good decision to get out while he can now walk again.
As for Machado...

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

“How come there are no left-handed catchers?”

Because there's no market for left handed catcher's gloves. 
I played Babe Ruth ball with a left handed catcher and played against him in high school ball. Good ballplayer but that's as far as he made it.

• Like 1