Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Time to put the bird feeders out.

mead107

leh-nerd skin-erd

I never really understood the appeal of bird feeders.  Don’t they end up covered in bird sh8t, with nasty feathers and surplus food stuck to the exterior?

My brother in law got us one  25 or 30 years ago, more of a condo since the residents had an exterior service taking care of lawn maintenance, snow removal and insurance.  We put it up and next thing you know squirrels are trying to get to the food, climbing the pole like a bunch of rat tailed strippers.  

I’m not against birds, I saw a beautiful woodpecker in the woods near our house labor long ago and called my kids out to look at it (Wow, cool dad, a bird). 

I don’t get it. 

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I never really understood the appeal of bird feeders.  Don’t they end up covered in bird sh8t, with nasty feathers and surplus food stuck to the exterior?

My brother in law got us one  25 or 30 years ago, more of a condo since the residents had an exterior service taking care of lawn maintenance, snow removal and insurance.  We put it up and next thing you know squirrels are trying to get to the food, climbing the pole like a bunch of rat tailed strippers.  

I’m not against birds, I saw a beautiful woodpecker in the woods near our house labor long ago and called my kids out to look at it (Wow, cool dad, a bird). 

I don’t get it. 

The hummingbirds are pollinators. I try and feed them, as well as buy/plant flowers they are attracted to.

As far as other birds? Naw We have a lot of birds living in our arborvitaes. I am not sure what kind, but sometimes it sounds like an aviary in our backyard.

I would have thought the blue jays would have chased them all away, but nope. And these are not just sparrows, we have finches (yellow? gold? I cannot tell the difference), cardinals, robins, etc that are pretty, and which I frequently see in our yard.  Still not feeding the super-poopers.

• FANtastic 1

23 hours ago, Ann said:

The hummingbirds are pollinators. I try and feed them, as well as buy/plant flowers they are attracted to.

As far as other birds? Naw We have a lot of birds living in our arborvitaes. I am not sure what kind, but sometimes it sounds like an aviary in our backyard.

I would have thought the blue jays would have chased them all away, but nope. And these are not just sparrows, we have finches (yellow? gold? I cannot tell the difference), cardinals, robins, etc that are pretty, and which I frequently see in our yard.  Still not feeding the super-poopers.

Gold finch become bright yellow in the winter. The rest of the time they’re dull brownish yellow. 

Hummingbirds stopped dropping by about two months ago. 

Im stuck out in the Atlantic, but am on an incredible flyway for the migratory species. Saw a Snowy Owl last year on the beach in Mashpee. We have lots of forests on the Cape and lots of all kinds of woodpeckers. Ospreys are a common sight now, though they’ve left for the winter. They fly to South America when they’re two years old. The yearlings can’t fly that far, so they winter over in western Mass, so I’ve been told. 

We had our first ever sighting of Orioles this summer. They were just passing through though. We put out a plate of grape jelly and some orange slices, but only attracted bees and ants. 

Oh, and we have flocks of turkeys. I mean FLOCKS!

• Like 4

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

We absolutely do.  My wife is a bird watcher, and catalogues every different type of bird that visits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nanker said:

We had our first ever sighting of Orioles this summer. They were just passing through though. We put out a plate of grape jelly and some orange slices, but only attracted bees and ants. 

Oh, and we have flocks of turkeys. I mean FLOCKS!

I almost read that as breast of Orioles on a plate of grape jelly and orange slices.

With my small raspberry, strawberry and blueberry plantings in the back yard I feed the birds all summer. Almost tempted at times to try breast of robin with a berry glaze.😯
Now that I have what I need the birds are busy cleaning up the remnants. They don't need no stinking bird feeder.
Plenty of hummers in the summer and they just have natural food source in my yard. Have an azalea that blooms in the fall for some reason and had a hummer buzz me last week.
I miss seeing cardinals. None on the west coast. I enjoy seeing stellar jays at the coast,
I have had turkeys canvassing the neighborhood at times. Back to the politics forum in 3, 2, 1 ...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1