Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Having a wonderful day already

Wacka

Both my wife and I lost our mothers to this terrible disease.  The best you can do is remember the good times.

You are doing a difficult job but it is important.  My wife cared for her mother for years both at home and in a facility - never regretted it.  You are a good person for doing this for her no matter how tough it gets and remember the impact you are having on her last years.  Best wishes @Wacka.

• Like 1

Thank You so much Nanker. I listened to that video while mom is taking a nap. I knew a bunch of those things discussed, but we always need a refresher and learned a few more.

I know about aphasia  because of my stroke in 2014.  I would see someone on TV and would know  what they were in and  what their character's name but for the life of me  couldn't remember their name. Someone told me their name and then I would repeat it to myself many times.  I was taking Aracept (for memory) and wanted to see if I needed to keep taking it, so I stopped for a few weeks.  I noticed the aphasia coming back. so I immediately  got back on it.

• Cheers 1

You’re welcome Wacka. I was terribly impressed by this fellow and his talk. One of the key takeaways for me was learning the toll it takes on the caregivers. It’s a frightful burden -although it’s taken on with love. But it can be very wearing. Know that we’re here for you if you need your spirit recharged. 

God bless you and your family. 

I came to terms (about a few tears ago) with waking up one morning and  finding  that she passed away during the night.  In fact I hope for that to happen, because that  is the way her sister passed and she said then that is how she wants to go(as we all do). My sister  has also said that  our brother will be a basket case  then because now when she deteriorates even a little bit more, he  downplays it.

Edited by Wacka

30 minutes ago, Wacka said:

I came to terms (about a few tears ago) with waking up one morning and  finding  that she passed away during the night.  In fact I hope for that to happen, because that  is the way her sister passed and she said then that is how she wants to go(as we all do). My sister  has also said that  our brother will be a basket case  then because now when she deteriorates even a little bit more, he  downplays it.

Sorry to hear it Wacka.

Difficult enough to go through this time, but even worse when the family is a burden rather than support.  My wife's mother in likely in her final weeks, and similar to you, her brother isn't dealing with it well.  One day it's fine, the next he's ranting about what the doctors are doing, etc.  And now he's stirred up all the aunts and uncle to call my wife non-stop.  Mind you none of these people have made a trip to see my MIL in the last 10 years.

Terrible.  My cousin’s wife has been showing more and more signs of it over the last year. Not real bad yet but, getting worse. 
Hope they can find something that works to get it somewhat under control In the near future.  

In the video,  he stated that breast and prostate cancer which generally affect the aged are  going down as causes of death and  dementia and Alzheimer's are going up.  We are curing diseases that would kill people in the past before the dementia did.

This is my bio background talking now.  People are living longer.The DNA polymerase(the enzyme that replicates your DNA) has a known error rate. There are proofreading enzymes that follow it and correct mismatches and they have aknown error rate too. There are trillions of cells in your body. Over time the errors  build up, killing cells. Add in  random cosmic rays and  he chemicals and natural  assaults on your body and it eventually wears out. 

IMO, by curing a lot of things we are  revealing the natural wearing out of our bodies.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like 2