Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

Hitbyaparkedcar
3 hours ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

I like this topic. I like stats. I also like history. So I’m going to combine the three and see what happens! For the purposes of the discussion, I shall measure “WR corps greatness” in purely regular season statistical terms. We will completely ignore pesky caveats like the fact that contemporary NFL offenses are way more pass-oriented than offenses of generations past…or how RB’s/FB’s/TE’s can steal pass targets from the WR’s. And no, I will not attempt to normalize the data to account for this stuff…I have to leave for work in another hour lol…

I’m going to compare the 2020 Bills WR’s with the legendary 1991 Bills WR’s, the 2002 WR corps (2002 being Bledsoe’s great statistical season as a Buffalo Bill), The Posse from Gibbs’ 1989 Washington Redskins (often considered the greatest trio of WR’s ever), and The Fab 4 from the Run-and-Shoot 1991 Houston Oilers (often considered the greatest quartet of WR’s ever). The following data is listed in this order: receptions, yards, TD’s.

2020 Bills (multiply these by 1.333 if you wish to project for a full season):

Diggs: 90, 1037, 4

Beasley: 66, 797, 4

Brown: 29, 386, 2

Davis: 25, 422, 5

McKenzie: 18, 171, 3

2002 Bills:

Eric Moulds: 100, 1292, 10

Peerless Price: 94, 1252, 9

Josh Reed: 37, 509, 2

1991 Bills:

Andre Reed: 81, 1113, 10

James Lofton: 57, 1072, 8

Don Beebe: 32, 414, 6

1991 Houston Oilers:

Haywood Jeffires: 100, 1181, 7

Drew Hill: 90, 1109, 4

Ernest Givins: 70, 996, 5

Curtis Duncan: 55, 588, 4

1989 Washington Redskins:

Art Monk: 86, 1186, 8

Ricky Sanders: 80, 1138, 4

Gary Clark: 79, 1229, 9

Okay, so my immediate thought after glancing at all this is that John Brown’s calf and ankle injuries have potentially held back this squad from making WR history! Diggs is the smooth route-running “X” split end, Beasley is the heartbreakingly handsome and tiny-but-tough “Y” slot, Davis is the red zone guy with great hands, and McKenzie is the super agile gadget player…but Brown is the speedy “Z” flanker who is supposed to open up the field for everyone else. I know Brown and Beasley are getting up there in age, but let’s keep all 5 WR’s together for a little longer and see what happens! 2021 could be a historically amazing one for this quintet and for the entire offense!!

By the way, here are some more stats that begin to tell the wonderful story of how WNY native, Coach Brian Daboll, finally ushered in the modern era of NFL offenses for a once comically out-of-touch franchise:

1. Diggs is 11 receptions and 332 receiving yards away from setting franchise single-season records in those two categories.

2. Brown of 2019, Diggs of 2020, and Beasley of both 2019 and 2020 will hold 4 of the top 25 most prolific receiving seasons in franchise history for receptions and 4 of the top 50 for receiving yards.

3. 12 different Bills so far have caught a TD pass in 2020 (5 WR’s, 4 TE’s, 2 RB’s, and a QB…lol).

4. Josh Allen has 4 more games left to set new franchise single-season records in passing yards (957 more needed) and passing TD’s (8 more needed).

5. Allen currently holds the highest single-season QB rating (minimum 42 pass attempts) and completion percentage (minimum 35 pass attempts) of any Buffalo Bill in franchise history.

6. Allen is 55 rushing attempts, 113 rushing yards, and 3 rushing TD’s away from being the most prolific career running QB in franchise history.

7. The Bills have a very rich history of run-oriented offenses, with exactly 50% of their seasons concluding with a RB running for 1k+ yards. Singletary, however, will likely once again fail to cross even the 800-yard rushing mark in a season.

This is all not to say that I don’t recognize the tactical value of a strong running game or the need to run in wintry weather (or the pleasure of watching a ground-and-pound classic), but Josh Allen is the most dynamic player on offense and you need to build around his skill set. It’s quite clear from this thread that the WR’s are the strength of the offensive skill positions, while we know that the TE’s are mediocre receivers and that neither platoon RB is elite at running, receiving, or pass protection blocking. Daboll uses the 1-1 personnel package for about two-thirds of his called plays, but I don’t see a problem with increasing that percentage just a little bit more while also incorporating more plays from the alternative 3-WR packages (0-2 and 2-0), the 4-WR ones (0-1 and 1-0), and the 5-WR one (0-0). Play to your strengths. Watch statistical WR corps records topple. Make pro football history.

Wow Kay! Props for the effort and research 🙂

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Beer__League__Hockey
3 hours ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

I like this topic. I like stats. I also like history. So I’m going to combine the three and see what happens! For the purposes of the discussion, I shall measure “WR corps greatness” in purely regular season statistical terms. We will completely ignore pesky caveats like the fact that contemporary NFL offenses are way more pass-oriented than offenses of generations past…or how RB’s/FB’s/TE’s can steal pass targets from the WR’s. And no, I will not attempt to normalize the data to account for this stuff…I have to leave for work in another hour lol…

I’m going to compare the 2020 Bills WR’s with the legendary 1991 Bills WR’s, the 2002 WR corps (2002 being Bledsoe’s great statistical season as a Buffalo Bill), The Posse from Gibbs’ 1989 Washington Redskins (often considered the greatest trio of WR’s ever), and The Fab 4 from the Run-and-Shoot 1991 Houston Oilers (often considered the greatest quartet of WR’s ever). The following data is listed in this order: receptions, yards, TD’s.

2020 Bills (multiply these by 1.333 if you wish to project for a full season):

Diggs: 90, 1037, 4

Beasley: 66, 797, 4

Brown: 29, 386, 2

Davis: 25, 422, 5

McKenzie: 18, 171, 3

2002 Bills:

Eric Moulds: 100, 1292, 10

Peerless Price: 94, 1252, 9

Josh Reed: 37, 509, 2

1991 Bills:

Andre Reed: 81, 1113, 10

James Lofton: 57, 1072, 8

Don Beebe: 32, 414, 6

1991 Houston Oilers:

Haywood Jeffires: 100, 1181, 7

Drew Hill: 90, 1109, 4

Ernest Givins: 70, 996, 5

Curtis Duncan: 55, 588, 4

1989 Washington Redskins:

Art Monk: 86, 1186, 8

Ricky Sanders: 80, 1138, 4

Gary Clark: 79, 1229, 9

Okay, so my immediate thought after glancing at all this is that John Brown’s calf and ankle injuries have potentially held back this squad from making WR history! Diggs is the smooth route-running “X” split end, Beasley is the heartbreakingly handsome and tiny-but-tough “Y” slot, Davis is the red zone guy with great hands, and McKenzie is the super agile gadget player…but Brown is the speedy “Z” flanker who is supposed to open up the field for everyone else. I know Brown and Beasley are getting up there in age, but let’s keep all 5 WR’s together for a little longer and see what happens! 2021 could be a historically amazing one for this quintet and for the entire offense!!

By the way, here are some more stats that begin to tell the wonderful story of how WNY native, Coach Brian Daboll, finally ushered in the modern era of NFL offenses for a once comically out-of-touch franchise:

1. Diggs is 11 receptions and 332 receiving yards away from setting franchise single-season records in those two categories.

2. Brown of 2019, Diggs of 2020, and Beasley of both 2019 and 2020 will hold 4 of the top 25 most prolific receiving seasons in franchise history for receptions and 4 of the top 50 for receiving yards.

3. 12 different Bills so far have caught a TD pass in 2020 (5 WR’s, 4 TE’s, 2 RB’s, and a QB…lol).

4. Josh Allen has 4 more games left to set new franchise single-season records in passing yards (957 more needed) and passing TD’s (8 more needed).

5. Allen currently holds the highest single-season QB rating (minimum 42 pass attempts) and completion percentage (minimum 35 pass attempts) of any Buffalo Bill in franchise history.

6. Allen is 55 rushing attempts, 113 rushing yards, and 3 rushing TD’s away from being the most prolific career running QB in franchise history.

7. The Bills have a very rich history of run-oriented offenses, with exactly 50% of their seasons concluding with a RB running for 1k+ yards. Singletary, however, will likely once again fail to cross even the 800-yard rushing mark in a season.

This is all not to say that I don’t recognize the tactical value of a strong running game or the need to run in wintry weather (or the pleasure of watching a ground-and-pound classic), but Josh Allen is the most dynamic player on offense and you need to build around his skill set. It’s quite clear from this thread that the WR’s are the strength of the offensive skill positions, while we know that the TE’s are mediocre receivers and that neither platoon RB is elite at running, receiving, or pass protection blocking. Daboll uses the 1-1 personnel package for about two-thirds of his called plays, but I don’t see a problem with increasing that percentage just a little bit more while also incorporating more plays from the alternative 3-WR packages (0-2 and 2-0), the 4-WR ones (0-1 and 1-0), and the 5-WR one (0-0). Play to your strengths. Watch statistical WR corps records topple. Make pro football history.

Good stuff!

I'm too lazy, but what about Manning's Broncos from 2012?, the **Patriots* from 2007 and don't forget the Rammies greatest show on turf.  Those WR stats were out of control.

I think Josh & the Bills could really sharpen their pencils next year and maximize their passing game efficiency.  2021 could be the history making squad.

Edited by BeerLeagueHockey
  • Like 1
  • FANtastic 1

These receivers are really fun to watch. I appreciate the lack of explosive shouting, swearing, and foot stomping that they've brought to my living room. My wife is much calmer now. :classic_ohmy:

• Haha 5

23 minutes ago, Nanker said:

These receivers are really fun to watch. I appreciate the lack of explosive shouting, swearing, and foot stomping that they've brought to my living room. My wife is much calmer now. :classic_ohmy:

Right?  Drops in the WR and RB group are almost non-existent.  Diggs' hands are off the charts good and his body is so quiet as he prepares to make catches it's breathtaking.

Now if Dawson Knox could figure it out...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Right?  Drops in the WR and RB group are almost non-existent.  Diggs' hands are off the charts good and his body is so quiet as he prepares to make catches it's breathtaking.

Now if Dawson Knox could figure it out...

In addition, Andre Roberts has lowered more than a few people's blood pressure reading.

• Like 2

Just now, Ann said:

In addition, Andre Roberts has lowered more than a few people's blood pressure reading.

That's a really, really good point.  I was really happy when we signed him, even though it's so hard to return kicks in the new NFL.  His hands never move when the ball touches them.  He is really, really good.  If he had elite speed, he'd be one of the best of all time.

• Like 3