Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Matt Hasselbeck on QB “intangibles” and Josh...

eball

...from the Buffalo News this morning:

"When people talk about quarterbacks, a lot of times they talk about intangibles and you never really know what that means," Hasselbeck said. "I just remember, when I got to Green Bay, Brett Favre was there and Andy Reid was the quarterback coach, and he basically laid out what he thought were the intangibles that Brett brought to the table. And some of those intangibles were the way that his teammates believe in him and rally around him and he sets the tone. The other thing Andy said was, 'Notice how Brett intimidates the opponent without even saying a word. Like when they get their game plan book, what are they saying? They're saying, 'Oh, boy, we got that guy. He can throw it all over the field. You can't rattle this guy. The harder the harder you hit him, the better he plays,' whatever it is that they might say.' Those are intangibles.

"Some quarterbacks will never, ever, ever have those intangibles or certain intangibles. Josh has got them. I don't even know if he knows he's got them, but he's got them. And people fear his arm. They fear his athleticism. They fear his size. And I just know from watching the excitement (he creates for) his teammates. One of the things that Josh's teammates said he was, 'He's a stone-cold dog.' I said on the air, 'This guy's like a cowboy.' And people were like, 'Oh, is that a shout out to Wyoming?' I'm like, 'Yeah, kind of, but I really mean he's like a cowboy.' And it's infectious. Some guys have it, but very few do."

• Like 5
  • Cheers 2
  • FANtastic 1

He talked a bit about the shoulder injury, and how it impacted Josh's play games 5 through 8.

Matt Hasselbeck is an ESPN NFL studio analyst. He's also a former quarterback, spending the bulk of his career with the Seattle Seahawks. He's someone who injured his left shoulder multiple times, once requiring surgical repair.

So it's fair to think he should feel qualified to address the noticeable impact a left shoulder injury can have on a right-handed passer.

</snip>

Based on his experiences, Hasselbeck concluded that Allen's recovery timeline was such that he would be ready for a breakout game against the Seahawks and Hasselbeck said so on ESPN Sunday morning.

"I thought, after maybe two to three weeks, you might be feeling better," Hasselbeck said in a phone call with The Buffalo News. "But after four weeks, you're good.

</snip>

Along the way, Allen went from 12 TD passes and one interception to four TD throws and four picks. As far as Hasselbeck was concerned, it was all about Allen's left shoulder, on which he continued to wear the harness.

"If people think that your left shoulder doesn't affect your throwing mechanics as a right-handed thrower, then you just don't understand throwing mechanics," Hasselbeck said. "I ended up having surgery on my left shoulder at one point in my career, and when I was getting second opinions, I was going to baseball doctors as well. They were telling me stories about the different pitchers whose off shoulders were injured and they weren't as good of a pitcher because of that off shoulder. It's an important piece of the puzzle.

"If I'm looking downfield and I'm a right-handed thrower, my left shoulder is pointing downfield. If I were to throw the ball hard, now all of a sudden my right shoulder is pointing downfield. So it's just getting that full rotation of it."

</snip>

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eball said:

"When people talk about quarterbacks, a lot of times they talk about intangibles and you never really know what that means," Hasselbeck said. "I just remember, when I got to Green Bay, Brett Favre was there and Andy Reid was the quarterback coach, and he basically laid out what he thought were the intangibles that Brett brought to the table. And some of those intangibles were the way that his teammates believe in him and rally around him and he sets the tone. The other thing Andy said was, 'Notice how Brett intimidates the opponent without even saying a word. Like when they get their game plan book, what are they saying? They're saying, 'Oh, boy, we got that guy. He can throw it all over the field. You can't rattle this guy. The harder the harder you hit him, the better he plays,' whatever it is that they might say.' Those are intangibles.

"Some quarterbacks will never, ever, ever have those intangibles or certain intangibles. Josh has got them. I don't even know if he knows he's got them, but he's got them. And people fear his arm. They fear his athleticism. They fear his size. And I just know from watching the excitement (he creates for) his teammates. One of the things that Josh's teammates said he was, 'He's a stone-cold dog.' I said on the air, 'This guy's like a cowboy.' And people were like, 'Oh, is that a shout out to Wyoming?' I'm like, 'Yeah, kind of, but I really mean he's like a cowboy.' And it's infectious. Some guys have it, but very few do."

Josh has "it" in spades.  What Josh has is leadership and is a good guy.  His team mates would walk through fire for him because he lays it on the line. 

Darnold and Rosen do not have "it".  I am not sure their team mates would yell watch out if they were going to step in front of a bus.  Nice guys most likely but not leaders.

People think Mayfield has "it" but it is mistaken for being obnoxious and self absorbed.  I think his team would not come to his house other than that is where they play.  Mayfield is not a leader or nice guy it seems from afar.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Let's be fair here.  Culture matters and the Browns don't have it while the BILLS do.  The difference is the prima donnas seem to run the show in Cleveland, which we don't really have in Buffalo.

One nice example was in the highlight reel from last season that was aired on NFL network.  Josh threw that pick in the Cincy game and was blaming himself on the sideline.  Lee Smith stepped to him and said "You're not a me guy when we're playing great, so don't be a "me" guy when we're not" (paraphrased.

I don't care what anyone says...that stuff matters.

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 1

On 11/11/2020 at 7:59 AM, eball said:

I am first to stand up and say i very rarely boo at any sporting event, football it is almost 100% coaching decisions. And while i did not boo inside the Adpro when they annpunced Josh Allen, i certainly did not cheer either. Thought it was the wrong Josh.

Can remember the moment my mind changed. In my 300 level seats vs the Jags Sunday after Thanksgiving, my buddy saying he believed in Allen, and me saying , truly right at the snap of the ball" i need to see more, i am not convinced"...and as the " convinced" came out of my mouth..Josh somehow got of that impossible pass to Foster for like a 70 yd TD. It was the biggest in your face , you are an idiot, moment of my NFL fandom!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2