Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Appropos of nothing thread.

Joe

^^^^^^ wow!

On top of the guts that guy has, I can’t believe his bike didn’t just give out.

And what about those idiots standing in the trail? The guy didn’t have enough problems?

• Like 2

On 10/7/2021 at 8:02 AM, devnull said:

Bus stops?

Snowflakes here get front door service

My Transportation Manager's staff set school bus stops per neighborhood each year.  Inevitably, parents would barrage me with requests to move the bus stops to a "better" location [read: at the end of my driveway] thinking as Superintendent I'd make the sensible changes.  My standard response was:  "There will be the same number of stops as there are at present, but we'll move them as you and your neighbors recommend.  Please get together with your neighbors and work out where you want the stops, then call me with your changes."

In nine years I never got a call back about bus stops.

• Like 3

On 10/17/2021 at 9:42 AM, Keukasmallie said:

My Transportation Manager's staff set school bus stops per neighborhood each year.  Inevitably, parents would barrage me with requests to move the bus stops to a "better" location [read: at the end of my driveway] thinking as Superintendent I'd make the sensible changes.  My standard response was:  "There will be the same number of stops as there are at present, but we'll move them as you and your neighbors recommend.  Please get together with your neighbors and work out where you want the stops, then call me with your changes."

In nine years I never got a call back about bus stops.

Ours was moved incredibly fast. Then again, it was a common sense move even before the sex offender moved in across from it. We used to be a dead end development and the stop was at the entrance. But now we connect through to others and the bus drives through anyway. The front entrance was a very long trek for probably 75% of the houses so it made sense to put it at the halfway point. 

The neighbors had the recommended new location before they even called it in. So that helped too. 

Crap Throwing Clavin

I have a job offer I'm considering.  It's a tough decision.  It's a significant pay cut, a demotion really, a step back from management back to day-to-day coding...

...but less stress, less dealing with unholy morons (hopefully), interesting work.  And no one will be wishing me a "great Air Force day," or telling the client I've completed work I wasn't assigned, or insisting that I attend meetings at 11am on a Sunday (yes, that actually happened) and leave the dentist in the middle of a root canal to attend a meeting (also happened), or covering for a largely incompetent program manager who can't even write a position requirement...

...as I write that, I'm wondering why it's a hard decision.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I have a job offer I'm considering.  It's a tough decision.  It's a significant pay cut, a demotion really, a step back from management back to day-to-day coding...

...but less stress, less dealing with unholy morons (hopefully), interesting work.  And no one will be wishing me a "great Air Force day," or telling the client I've completed work I wasn't assigned, or insisting that I attend meetings at 11am on a Sunday (yes, that actually happened) and leave the dentist in the middle of a root canal to attend a meeting (also happened), or covering for a largely incompetent program manager who can't even write a position requirement...

Shouldn't be. How much money is "have a great Air Force day" worth to you?

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 10/19/2021 at 6:32 PM, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Update: I turned down this offer, as the company was recently purchased by a private equity firm.  I told the hirer that, while the benefits were generous (4 weeks PTO, excellent health care coverage, excellent 401k match), I expected them to be cut significantly by the PE firm in January, and saw no reason to sign up for a future reduction in total compensation of about $6k next year, unless they raised the offer by that much.  So the recruiter got me a sneak-peek at their 2022 benefits...

...sure enough, about a $6k reduction.  After I went through it with the recruiter, now she's looking for a new job.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2021 at 8:23 AM, Foxx said:

Run of the mill downhill course, except for going through the town.  That said, you still need brass balls and really big bike to ride downhill.  I rode part...and by "part" I mean about 30 yards....of the downhill course at Killington,VT once and thought I was going to die.

Heres what it looks like as a spectator. Its great. 

Edited by RkFast
  • Like 2

Beer__League__Hockey

Between the wife and now the boy wonder that looks like Troy Polamalu, I have pulled similar wet rats out of the drain(s) as well.  I am trying to do "preventative" Drano treatments, but that isn't working.

18 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Wifey:  The tub in the girls bathroom is draining slowly so I bought some Drano.

Me: Uh, let me take a look at it first.

IMG_0096.thumb.jpg.eca7fe9f8334ba95f7645d7e0cd31888.jpg

I'm surprised I didn't see a metal coat hanger in that picture too,
or are they illegal in California too?

Billsandhorns
5 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

I'm surprised I didn't see a metal coat hanger in that picture too,
or are they illegal in California too?

What is legal in California?

On 10/23/2021 at 8:49 PM, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Update: I turned down this offer, as the company was recently purchased by a private equity firm.  I told the hirer that, while the benefits were generous (4 weeks PTO, excellent health care coverage, excellent 401k match), I expected them to be cut significantly by the PE firm in January, and saw no reason to sign up for a future reduction in total compensation of about $6k next year, unless they raised the offer by that much.  So the recruiter got me a sneak-peek at their 2022 benefits...

...sure enough, about a $6k reduction.  After I went through it with the recruiter, now she's looking for a new job.  

Probably the right move. I took a job with a big pay cut once in search of greener grass at a startup. Turned into a disaster and took me almost ten years to get back to where I was pay-wise at my original place, which in retrospect wasnt so bad. 

Edited by RkFast

Crap Throwing Clavin

Facebook - er, Meta - has some competition for the Metaverse.  The Icelandverse.

Really...I just love the fact that Zuckerberg is getting trolled by an entire country.  :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Facebook - er, Meta - has some competition for the Metaverse.  The Icelandverse.

Really...I just love the fact that Zuckerberg is getting trolled by an entire country.  :classic_laugh:

How long until Facebook, Google, Apple, & Amazon make Iceland disappear from maps and search engines?

Crap Throwing Clavin
19 minutes ago, devnull said:

How long until Facebook, Google, Apple, & Amazon make Iceland disappear from maps and search engines?

And blame climate change.

What pisses me off is now everyone is starting to use Metaverse in describing their future business prospects.  Just as bad as cloud computing when it started.

Nothing describes clarity of business and purpose better than a cloud.