Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Appropos of nothing thread.

Joe

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

There's "You &#%$ed up."  There's "You royally &#%$ed up."  But you haven't truly &#%$ed up until you've reached "We're rewriting the software to prevent you from using it" &#%$ing up.

That's... actually an impressive amount of &#%$ing up.

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

The further adventures of Idiot Developer:

Yesterday's &#%$up prompted a management meeting to discuss "How do you solve a problem like Idiot Developer?"  (musical reference, @The_Dude.  Look it up.)  It was decided to disable his access to systems.  So I had to point out that we can't do that with the security implementation - it's been screwed up badly for a long time, we can't disable individual people's accounts, it's an "everyone or no one" system, we need to revamp it.

And not unexpectedly, I was told to rewrite the security.

There's "You &#%$ed up."  There's "You royally &#%$ed up."  But you haven't truly &#%$ed up until you've reached "We're rewriting the software to prevent you from using it" &#%$ing up.

The usual solution to idiots in government -  "THEY &#%$ed up, now YOU fix it."
Management, "My job is done here" 

My town is dumb. They just put in a speed hump at a crosswalk on my street. Right before the hump there’s a 20 mph speed limit sign. They then have a warning sign for the hump with a speed limit of 25. You can see both signs at the same time. I guess they’re telling people that you can only get some air if you speed up. 

I took a picture but it’s too large to post from my phone. 

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Last update on Idiot Developer:

So this contract is currently being transitioned to another contractor (normal, finishing development, moving on to O&M).  Idiot Dev's last day on this contract is Friday, Monday he starts on the new contract - new employer, new job.

Or that's what was supposed to happen.  Just had his ass canned from this contract, two days before his last day.  What's more, I just got off the phone with his new employer...and now he's no longer starting his NEW job Monday.

You know you've done gone and &#%$ed up when you get fired from two jobs in four hours.  :classic_laugh:  Absolute &#%$ing meathead.

This is becoming the apropos of something thread.

5 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Last update on Idiot Developer:

So this contract is currently being transitioned to another contractor (normal, finishing development, moving on to O&M).  Idiot Dev's last day on this contract is Friday, Monday he starts on the new contract - new employer, new job.

Or that's what was supposed to happen.  Just had his ass canned from this contract, two days before his last day.  What's more, I just got off the phone with his new employer...and now he's no longer starting his NEW job Monday.

You know you've done gone and &#%$ed up when you get fired from two jobs in four hours.  :classic_laugh:  Absolute &#%$ing meathead.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GL8QXYUKatA/T3ORe07boBI/AAAAAAAAA3g/WbX4xEzYmig/s320/the-rock-clapping.gif

On 12/5/2020 at 10:08 PM, devnull said:

Compilation videos that I never tire of are girls with guns

I'm more impressed with the women that practice ammo discipline than the full automatic shenanigans

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

Apparently my neighbors spotted someone tonight with a lit fire pit in their garage. 

were they alarmed by arsonists, fire hazards, or social distancing violators?

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Just read something interesting...

In 1944, for an airstrike to get 12 hits on a US carrier task force, the Japanese would have to commit about 300 aircraft, with most of them shot down by CAP and AAA, and 220 pilots killed.

Kamikaze attacks at Okinawa...for 12 hits, they'd have to commit 60 aircraft, all of which pilots were killed.  

The loss rate for kamikaze attacks was less severe than for conventional attacks - fewer Japanese pilots died than in conventional attacks.  Or, as a Japanese pilot accurately put it: "We switched to kamikaze tactics because regular tactics were suicidal anyway, and kamikaze tactics were more successful."  

Shows how difficult and dangerous it really was to attack a US carrier group.

On 12/20/2020 at 11:38 AM, shrader said:

How much is included in a carrier task force?

There is no formula.

When I was on a carrier, the typical group included two destroyers and two guided missile cruisers.

Subs were involved, but we never knew about them.

Of course the usual intel ship from the then Soviet Union was always a few miles away.

• Cheers 1