Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

SI Fantastic Article on Josh Allen

wnyguy

Wow, lottsa Josh Allen love. They did do quite a bit of hyperbole, but in a positive-way (read it, it will make sense).

The Infinite Possibilities of Josh Allen

There’s no telling what you’ll get on any given snap, but two months into the 2020 season the highs are far outweighing the lows. Allen is the reason the Bills are 7-2 and thinking about February football, all while compiling a highlight reel the likes of which you’ve never seen.

</snip>

The phrase Josh Allen Experience has been deployed as an insult in years past, in part because the good, the bad and the holy s--- often take place simultaneously. Going to Allen after the last might-have-been-franchise quarterback in Buffalo, conservative veteran Tyrod Taylor, was like waving goodbye to the kiddie roller coaster and hopping on the screamer that barely passes its daily safety inspections. If the last generation of great passers was typified by world-class surgeons—Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees—diagnosing defenses and dissecting them with painstaking precision, Allen arrives in the operating room with a bowhunting knife and a bottle of Wild Turkey from which he takes generous slugs. Even the NFL’s best improvisers—Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson and Russell Wilson—work through a flow chart on any given play. Allen’s options, though, can seem wider, perhaps infinite. Allen represents an outlier among outliers.

</snip>

si.1.JPG

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 1

21 minutes ago, Ann said:

Wow, lottsa Josh Allen love. They did do quite a bit of hyperbole, but in a positive-way (read it, it will make sense).

The Infinite Possibilities of Josh Allen

There’s no telling what you’ll get on any given snap, but two months into the 2020 season the highs are far outweighing the lows. Allen is the reason the Bills are 7-2 and thinking about February football, all while compiling a highlight reel the likes of which you’ve never seen.

</snip>

The phrase Josh Allen Experience has been deployed as an insult in years past, in part because the good, the bad and the holy s--- often take place simultaneously. Going to Allen after the last might-have-been-franchise quarterback in Buffalo, conservative veteran Tyrod Taylor, was like waving goodbye to the kiddie roller coaster and hopping on the screamer that barely passes its daily safety inspections. If the last generation of great passers was typified by world-class surgeons—Marsha, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees—diagnosing defenses and dissecting them with painstaking precision, Allen arrives in the operating room with a bowhunting knife and a bottle of Wild Turkey from which he takes generous slugs. Even the NFL’s best improvisers—Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson and Russell Wilson—work through a flow chart on any given play. Allen’s options, though, can seem wider, perhaps infinite. Allen represents an outlier among outliers.

</snip>

si.1.JPG

If that is on the cover of the actual magazine, I may have to just buy that magazine for the first time since this...

SI: Sports Illustrated September 15, 2003 Away We Go: Sam Adams, Buffalo Bills

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

If that is on the cover of the actual magazine, I may have to just buy that magazine for the first time since this...

The version of the issue I saw had a golfer on the cover, but great article.

I think I might still have that issue with Fat Sam on the cover somewhere....what a game that was.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

SI: Sports Illustrated September 15, 2003 Away We Go: Sam Adams, Buffalo Bills

I don’t have that one, but this one is still in a tote under my bed. I’m on the opposite side of the tunnel off the page just below the guy standing in the blue shirt right on the edge of the picture.

86E915A8-0518-4FCF-B6E7-E59A0F3ABF7D.jpeg

Edited by Chandemonium
  • Like 1

Watching how Tennessee basically manhandled the Colts' first half short yardage attempts really highlighted how ihaving a mobile QB keeps defenses honest.  Tennessee had no fear whatsoever of Rivers doing anything with his feet, so they basically sold out against the run and stuffed them with alarming regularity.

JA is an absolute freak.  I think he, Hebert, Lawrence, and Fields from OSU are what the future of great NFL QBs looks like.  Tua and Murray to a lesser extent because they're both quite mobile but they're not huge physical specimens.

Edited by Alaska Darin
  • Like 1