Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bills Gameday Rituals, Obsessions, Compulsions, Superstitions

Mahoney

In the late '90s, I was a member of the Bills Backers of Southern California. We were 250 strong on gameday, and wild AF. During the '99 season, it seemed like every time I'd hit the head, we scored a touchdown. Suffice to say, I spent a lot of time in the restroom as the season progressed.

AridAnotherEgret-small.gif

Over the next two decades, let's face it – We were so bad it wouldn't have mattered if I'd watched the whole damn game from the toilet seat.

Here we are, 20 years later, at 7-2. We lost the only two games I watched live. We won all the ones I didn't. At first I chalked it up to "we weren't going to beat the Titans or KC." Then we beat Seattle. So, today, I'm going to do my part by not watching the game live. Instead, I'll be monitoring it on NFL Gamecast, and will watch it tonight.

I'm sure you've done or seen crazier to "help" the Bills win. Let's hear it!

Edited by Sum Ting Wong
  • Like 2

If the Bills win and I am drinking Woodford, I drink Woodford until they lose.  I then switch to another drink.  Yeah I know it makes no difference but it is a habit.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Just Joshin said:

If the Bills win and I am drinking Woodford, I drink Woodford until they lose.  I then switch to another drink.  Yeah I know it makes no difference but it is a habit.

I do that with wine... if I am drinking wine during a game and they win, I drink wine every day until they lose again. :wine:  And then the next day, I start the wine again to reset so they will get back to winning.

🍷

• Like 2

It was never really a superstition, but for the past several years I had a ritual where I would pour myself a beer pregame, but would not take my first sip until the kicker struck the ball on the opening kickoff (this obviously doesn’t apply when attending in person and tailgating). This year I was a running late getting to my buddy’s house to watch the opener so I couldn’t do it, and haven’t bothered with it the rest of this season. Until today. I’m so sorry everyone. 

Edited by Chandemonium
  • Like 1

I'm too old to admit this, but there is this ridiculous part of me who is often convinced that if I participate on the message board the day of a game before the game is over, the team will lose.

That said, NOT posting until the game is over does not guarantee a win.

This is actually the healthiest of my life-long superstitions. I remain convinced the Bills lost the second SB because I wore a new Bills hat for the game.

I've discussed ATOP how when I was with the Bills Backers of Orlando for the Comeback Game, one of the guys in our group was in the bathroom for the first TD. We essentially kept him in bathroom for the remainder of the game.

That's right. We helped the Bills win that game.

You're welcome.

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • FANtastic 1

I keep drinking 1 style of beer until they lose, then switch to a different style.  Marzens/Oktoberfests are out with this last loss.  After the bye, onto DIPAs or Winter Warmers

33 minutes ago, mead107 said:

I yell at the TV 

As do I...except I'm always yelling the same thing every time the Bills touch the football.

"Hold the ball!"

Because Leodis McKelvin hates me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

I'm too old to admit this, but there is this ridiculous part of me who is often convinced that if I participate on the message board the day of a game before the game is over, the team will lose.

I just assumed it was because the game day thread ATOP is always such a shit show.

Mine is pretty basic, but I stand up and pace when it's crunch time.....the tighter the crunch, the faster the pace.  So the last Bills drive I was on my feet the whole time.  And no, I didn't sit down after they scored.  The MNF disaster against Dallas is the very last time I will ever be shocked by this team losing a game.  There is literally no circumstance where it could ever happen again.

Stopped following any rituals or patterns years ago.  Weekend time is so precious that I will watch a game and look forward to doing so but it's all done just in time. 

9 hours ago, Whatnot78 said:

I keep drinking 1 style of beer until they lose, then switch to a different style.  Marzens/Oktoberfests are out with this last loss.  After the bye, onto DIPAs or Winter Warmers

I switched from beer to Rye mid-game this week.  

Not doing that again.

For big games the past 2 seasons, I wear my Mighty Taco t-shirt.  They’ve got a very good winning percentage when I do that.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I just assumed it was because the game day thread ATOP is always such a shit show.

I don't even post pre-game, let alone GDTs. Ridiculous, I know.

The only time I visit GDTs is when the game is over after the Bills have a tough game, or someone like Allen has a tough game, and then pulls it out at the end. Watching people lose their skull over little things is funny, only to see them whining over the win because it lacked style points.

It's almost as funny as reading posts from people who pushed to get certain posters banned from ATOP, only to come over here and create an account to have them back in their lives.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1