Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Those that get snow, do you do your own shoveling?

mead107

Nope, although we do have a snow blowers + shovels.

We have a contract with a snow plow guy. We are seldom here in the winter, so we must have a contract for plowing and shoveling so we do not get a ticket for un-shoveled sidewalks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ann said:

Nope, although we do have a snow blowers + shovels.

We have a contract with a snow plow guy. We are seldom here in the winter, so we must have a contract for plowing and shoveling so we do not get a ticket for un-shoveled sidewalks.

My family moved away from Buffalo when I was 4 years old. Since then I haven't lived anywhere where it regularly snows in the winter, so getting fined for a snow laden sidewalk is news to me.

Maybe you don't the answers to these, but I am curious:

Is this enforced?

Is the sidewalk an easement on your property? (where I have lived the sidewalk abuts the road and has not been on my property)

What kind of fine is it? Is it a set amount per house? Or do they go by how many feet the sidewalk runs along the property?

How much snow does there need to be in order to mandate that it gets shoveled?

How long do you get after snowfall, before a ticket would be issued?

But it sounds like a great way for neighborhood kids to make some money!

42 minutes ago, Hedge said:

My family moved away from Buffalo when I was 4 years old. Since then I haven't lived anywhere where it regularly snows in the winter, so getting fined for a snow laden sidewalk is news to me.

Is this enforced?

Is the sidewalk an easement on your property? (where I have lived the sidewalk abuts the road and has not been on my property)

What kind of fine is it? Is it a set amount per house? Or do they go by how many feet the sidewalk runs along the property?

Enforced? No idea. Most communities around here have the ability to issue fines for not clearing the public sidewalks. 

• Cheers 1

Live on a road in Cheektowaga.  School down the street about a half mile, so  nearer the school there are sidewalks.   Easements are  33ft from the center of the road, so about 16  ft  from the edge.  Those have to be cleaned y the owners.  It's a county road and my brother is a county plow driver and he gets people complaining  about him blocking off their newly shoveled driveway. His answer is  that their responsibility is to clean  the ROAD  from edge to edge, not your lawn or driveway. Also  there are regulations for  placing your mailboxes and if you don't follow them. they will mot pay for a new one if it is nocked down by a plow.   They have to be so far above the street so that the plow can fit under them, so far back, and   such and such a size post.

They want him to raise the plow for their driveway. Those are the same people that  blow all the snow out of their drive into the clean street.  Also the same people that  stay in the left turning lane when multiple plows are cleaning the multilane street. How do they expect that lane to get cleared. He says there are a  lot of idiots out there. Especially in Amherst.   They have a lot of  drivers calling cops there because the road is blocked  when they are repaving.

Edited by Wacka

11 hours ago, Hedge said:

Is this enforced?

$100 fine if the sidewalk isn't clear 24 hours after a snowstorm.

Do our own driveway at home in NJ - contract out upstate, because the place wouldn't be accessible without regular plowing.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Wacka said:

They want him to raise the plow for their driveway. Those are the same people that  blow all the snow out of their drive into the clean street.  Also the same people that  stay in the left turning lane when multiple plows are cleaning the multilane street. How do they expect that lane to get cleared. He says there are a  lot of idiots out there. Especially in Amherst.   They have a lot of  drivers calling cops there because the road is blocked  when they are repaving.

Brilliant. Raise the plow in front of the driveway, resulting in leaving snow at the end of the driveway and snow in the road. Sure, it’s easier to cut through, but it’s still blocked. People are stupid. 

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
1 hour ago, mead107 said:

Guy left a paper on the mailbox this morning. 
will plow the driveway for $30. Per snowfall. 

I pay $100/mo. December-March, guaranteed plow service before 7 AM on weekdays, 8 AM on weekends.

2 hours ago, mead107 said:

Guy left a paper on the mailbox this morning. 
will plow the driveway for $30. Per snowfall. 

Wow, that's a steal.   Minimums in these parts is $60, with upcharges if it's above 8"

On 11/17/2020 at 10:56 PM, Hedge said:

Is this enforced?

Can't speak for Ann but when my mother's uncle was alive and living in Pittsford, NY there were all kinds of rules for the street that he lived on.  Any accumulating snow had to be off of the sidewalk within a couple hours of the event.  People on that street had good careers so the neighborhood went together and hired the snow removal done rather than leave the office during the day or get up at 4AM to do it themselves.  

leh-nerd skin-erd

Do my own at home, don’t yell at the snowplow drivers (I usually wave and say thanks so they don’t stick it to me!), and hate the frigging snow.  I have a seasonal contract at the office, $1600, works well enough. I probably could shave a couple hundred off but the guy is very dependable. 

No sidewalks in our area so no fines to worry about.