Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Put the bird feeder out 4:00 yesterday.November 18 ,2020

mead107

10 hours ago, DC Tom said:

We are getting some seriously unusual birds around our feeder this fall.  Two species of woodpecker, a red-tailed hawk, a northern harrier (weird looking bird, like someone glued an owl's head to an eagle's body), and two black vultures.  Since when do vultures attend a bird feeder?

Cats are loving it, though.  Made them an observation perch in the window, they're like "This is the best TV station EVER!"

Our cat loves watching the birds out the sliding doors. 
the squirrel loves to go face to face with the cat. 
a few years ago we had to young red foxes 🦊 on the deck. In the morning. Wife took a few pictures.  Was amazing. 

20 hours ago, DC Tom said:

We are getting some seriously unusual birds around our feeder this fall.  Two species of woodpecker, a red-tailed hawk, a northern harrier (weird looking bird, like someone glued an owl's head to an eagle's body), and two black vultures.  Since when do vultures attend a bird feeder?

Cats are loving it, though.  Made them an observation perch in the window, they're like "This is the best TV station EVER!"

Are the buzzards circling overhead whenever you go outside?

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2020 at 9:34 AM, mead107 said:

Not many birds coming to the feeder last couple days. 
went out and scraped the wet seed out fro all the rain. 

6 birds right now 

That’s a recurring problem with my finch feeder. The tickseeds get gummy when wet and the birds avoid the feeder. I got a new regular feeder at Christmas and put sunflower seeds in it. Hadn’t had any feeder loaded for a few weeks and missed some of the migratory birds sweeping through. 

I’ll do a better job of keeping them filled going forward. A flock of bluebirds and robins cleaned off every berry on our inkberry bushes a couple weeks ago. The birds need some extra help in the winter. 

• Like 1

Refilled the feeders this  afternoon.  25 plus birds at them and on the ground. 
this morning. 

Edited by mead107
  • Like 1

I need to come around here more often. These conversations about red headed peckers and titmice (or is it titmouses?) is quite interesting.  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I need to come around here more often. These conversations about red headed peckers and titmice (or is it titmouses?) is quite interesting.  

Are you still flipping the bird? 😎

Man, I hate bird feeders.

Not really...I hate the woman in lives behind me and HER bird feeders. She has about ten bird feeders and whatever is leftover after she fills them every day she dumps on her grass. Literally takes the half full bag of seed and throws it all over her lawn like a grumpy old man chucking rock salt on his slippery driveway. NOW...that makes for some good bird watching out of my back door with a coffee in the AM. We get all the birds, and even some ducks from the park ponds close by. And technically I shouldnt care right? BUT...we have a massive RAT problem where I live and as you can imagine what the birds dont get, the rats will at night. And its nasty. I can put out fifty traps, rodenticides, even call in a napalm strike, but as long as this bird feeding scumbag keeps dropping enough seed on the ground every day to try and attract all the birds in Hitchcock's movie, its a futile battle. The birds party in the day...the rats at night. Im good for finding a new rathole under my shed or porch or somewhere else on my property at least a few times a month. The Dept. of Health has even stopped by her house to have a chat about it, but she could not care less. Ugh.

Edited by RkFast
  • Cheers 1

We had ducks hanging out in our yard a lot in the late summer/early spring. I never found anything resembling a nest, but today I found the egg shells.

I’m amazed that family was able to make it to the nearest retention pond. It wasn’t a short walk. My wife saw them across the street from our house one day. They then walked along the sidewalks, making around four turns over 5 blocks to get there. I never did get to see them but the neighbor next to the pond had a picture of them making the last street crossing. 

• 2 weeks later...
CarpetCrawler

Been feeding birds for decades, the most abundant here (Lower Hudson Valley) are sparrows, house finches, black-capped chickadees, nuthatches (both kinds), cardinals, blue jays, downy woodpeckers, hairy woodpeckers, and flickers. There are gold finches that pass through a couple of times a year. Seasonally we get tufted titmice, and dark-eyed juncos. Occasionally there are rose-breasted grosbeaks and cowbirds. Of course there are mourning doves on the ground eating up the scraps and we're always chasing away the grackles when they pass through.

I have a suet feeder for the winter too and last year we got a birdbath with a heater to make sure they have water in the winter.

• Like 1

CarpetCrawler
1 hour ago, mead107 said:

Squirrels cleaning up the deck of food birds spill 

Squirrels are public enemy #1 to me. I have a squirrel-proof feeder (and it really is), and a baffle on the suet feeder pole that works perfectly. I don't mind then getting the leavings, but they're not going to feast on my bird food.

6 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Squirrels are public enemy #1 to me. I have a squirrel-proof feeder (and it really is), and a baffle on the suet feeder pole that works perfectly. I don't mind then getting the leavings, but they're not going to feast on my bird food.

Fun to watch them climb up the pole till they hit the shield then slide down the pole 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...