Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Oil tank started leaking- time for new one

mead107

Had oil delivered on Monday and wife said do you smell oil? Went down and found the tank leaking. 2x4 ft area under the tank has a puddle. 
went and bought a new tank and legs today   
my nephew and his son carried it down stairs this evening. 
they are coming up to hook it up and transfer the oil to new tank. 
my nephew had his own business and now runs the boiler house for RPI college.  Son is going to Hudson Valley community college to learn the trade. 

$563 with tax for tank.

Anyone ever have that happen? 

Edited by mead107

1 hour ago, mead107 said:

Had oil delivered on Monday and wife said do you smell oil? Went down and found the tank leaking. 2x4 ft area under the tank has a puddle. 
my nephew and son carried it down stairs this evening. 
my nephew had his own business and now runs the boiler house for RPI college.  Son is going to Hudson Valley community college to learn the trade. 

$563 with tax for tank.

Had a leaky tank or go to Happy Valley?

11 hours ago, mead107 said:

$563 with tax for tank.

Nope, we have natural gas.

At one of my husband’s commercial properties there is an old oil tank below ground (sorta a basement). The place was remediated before he bought it, but the state allowed the old tank to remain. 🤷‍♀️ 

47 minutes ago, Ann said:

Nope, we have natural gas.

At one of my husband’s commercial properties there is an old oil tank below ground (sorta a basement). The place was remediated before he bought it, but the state allowed the old tank to remain. 🤷‍♀️ 

I used to do Phase I environmental assessments (before  they drill in soil and take water samples).  They may have done the soil and water sampling and found nothing.  If that is the case  they may have had them  clean the tank and fill it with concrete so it could  never be reused. Had to examine a property  where this happened and it now has a 9 story condo building on it.

Edited by Wacka

21 minutes ago, Wacka said:

I used to do Phase I environmental assessments (before  they drill in soil and take water samples).  They may have done the soil and water sampling and found nothing.  If that is the case  they may have had them  clean the tank and fill it with concrete so it could  never be reused. Had to examine a property  where this happened and it now has a 9 story condo building on it.

I thought soil testing is Phase II.

I thought Phase I is records-based only?

12 hours ago, mead107 said:

$563 with tax for tank.

Who comes to take away the old tank and the sludge that's in the bottom of it?

We had an old, buried tank that needed to be decommissioned.  It was there, unused for about 40 years.  The gas boiler I had was installed in 1977.  It was oil before that.  A tank guy came and ripped the top open and filled it with sand and then covered it back up.  He filed a report with the County Health Department and that was that.

1 hour ago, Wacka said:

This place was torn apart (the parking lot was a disaster) for a long time prior to his purchase. The state came in and did the clean-up. 

The concrete is interesting... I'd have to ask him if it is full and unmovable.

1 hour ago, Ann said:

This place was torn apart (the parking lot was a disaster) for a long time prior to his purchase. The state came in and did the clean-up. 

The concrete is interesting... I'd have to ask him if it is full and unmovable.

That would be if the tank was already under the existing concrete floor of a building where it was virtually impossible to dig it out. I The one I  mentioned was alarge old,old tank and ended up incased in concrete in the corner of the underground parking area of the building.. f it was under a lot, it was probably cleaned out first.  Other smaller ones (about 100 gallons)

1 hour ago, snafu said:

We had an old, buried tank that needed to be decommissioned.  It was there, unused for about 40 years.  The gas boiler I had was installed in 1977.  It was oil before that.  A tank guy came and ripped the top open and filled it with sand and then covered it back up.  He filed a report with the County Health Department and that was that.

Phase Is are records based. As I said,  before they come to test soil and water (Phase II). If I found problems with the records or visual evidence of potential leaks, I would refer it for a phase II.

The worst place I saw was  in Hollister, CA. The place provided transportation  for farm workers.  Was surrounded by farms. There were several ancient farm vehicles on it. They would drive the pickers to the locations and  have a flatebed with port-a-potties on it for them to use.  Was not use for at least a couple off years.  The property was littered with broken potties , stains all over the ground (could have been oil or s**t, and a couple of above ground waste oil tanks that had oil running down the outside and were crammed full of oil filters.  The vegetation wasn't growing on large swatches of it.  I had toured the property with someone from the receivership, and after a minute or two we both said "Definitely Phase II"  but still had to tour it all so I could get photographic proof.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, snafu said:

Depends on the state.  As KD said NJ is a mess - permits, removal, & remediation could run up to $50k.  Never mind if you get a shit contractor who screws up the removal or backfill, and your foundation cracks as a result.

You can't sell a house in NJ with a buried tank, partly because the selling RE agent is partially liable.  

Edited by GG1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
22 hours ago, mead107 said:

$563 with tax for tank.

No, I’ve never had your son and nephew install a new oil tank.

• Haha 1

leh-nerd skin-erd
On 11/19/2020 at 10:41 PM, mead107 said:

$563 with tax for tank.

i bought a house with an oil tank and am looking to convert to gas.  Estimate to convert the boiler to gas, pump the oil and cut the tank and remove is about $1300.  

I knew some folks who hit tagged pretty substantially ($80k) fox remediation when DEC got involved.  Insurance coverage applied in that case.  

Excellent move by your son to go to HVCC.  Excellent price point at $565.  Meadtastic outcome! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Excellent move by your son to go to HVCC.  Excellent price point at $565.  Meadtastic outcome! 

My Nephew’s son.  he is doing very good.  
just started Hudson valley this fall. He has helped his dad a long time.  

my son is married and in Arlington Virginia. 
HR is his field. 

leh-nerd skin-erd
4 minutes ago, mead107 said:

My Nephew’s son.  he is doing very good.  
just started Hudson valley this fall. He has helped his dad a long time.  

my son is married and in Arlington Virginia. 
HR is his field. 

Oops.  An uncle should never be his nephew’s father, unless he’s one of Joe Biden’s kids.

My daughter is also in HR—Syracuse area.  I told her my greatest job would be for her to advance, come work for our company and terminate the old man in an obvious act of age discrimination. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 7:32 PM, mead107 said:

New tank in place and full. 
pumped fuel from old tank into new.fuel line move. New filter in.  

You couldn't have swapped the installation with a little deck washing?

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

You couldn't have swapped the installation with a little deck washing?

He only charged me $300 think he gave his son $200. 

Will help him put up a new garage next year. 

On 11/20/2020 at 1:00 PM, Koko said:

Nope, electric is cheap where I live. No need for oil or propane heat.

My son lives in the city of Plattsburgh in NY. Electric heat is the way to go there.

The first house I bought was in Rochester, and it had hot water radiators powered by an octopus boiler that was originally coal fired. Previous owners had it converted to oil. We moved in and converted it to natural gas fuel. I don't remember if we had the tank removed or not.