Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Reappraising the 2018 NFL Draft's hyped QB class

Ann

Bucky Brooks going over the 2018 class, specifically the first round QBs, and if they should be signed to a long-term 💲 💲 💲  extension:

(Reader's digest version:)

</snip>

With that in mind, I believe it's the perfect time to look at the 2018 quarterback class -- one of the most hyped groups in memory -- and assess what could be in store for each of the five first-round products. Continue building around the young QB1 or move onto a different plan at the game's most important position? That's the question. After digging into some tape and re-examining resumés, here's my take on each signal-caller:

Long-term extension?

● Baker Mayfield: wait and see
● Sam Darnold: no
● Josh Allen: yes
● Josh Rosen: no
● Lamar Jackson: yes

</snip>

What say you?

• FANtastic 1

2 minutes ago, Ann said:

You think Lamar Jackson is worth the $$ he is going to get?

Do any of them? Is he having an off year? I am not a fan but could be.

2 hours ago, Ann said:

You think Lamar Jackson is worth the $$ he is going to get?

I’m in favor of Ballmore giving him the kitchen sink and cash-strapping themselves for a decade WRT the  cap. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Ann said:

Bucky Brooks going over the 2018 class, specifically the first round QBs, and if they should be signed to a long-term 💲 💲 💲  extension:

(Reader's digest version:)

</snip>

With that in mind, I believe it's the perfect time to look at the 2018 quarterback class -- one of the most hyped groups in memory -- and assess what could be in store for each of the five first-round products. Continue building around the young QB1 or move onto a different plan at the game's most important position? That's the question. After digging into some tape and re-examining resumés, here's my take on each signal-caller:

Long-term extension?

● Baker Mayfield: wait and see
● Sam Darnold: no
● Josh Allen: yes
● Josh Rosen: no
● Lamar Jackson: yes

</snip>

What say you?

Agree. Allen is clearly the best QB from that draft, and shows Beane's genius.

• Like 3

Darnold is likely to be traded. 

So my question is whether his new team is able to extend him for a fifth year. I think probably yes.  Depending on the team, coaches, etc., I can see someone wanting to hold him for a longer look. He’s not good right now but neither are his coaches or his teammates. 

14 hours ago, Ann said:

You think Lamar Jackson is worth the $$ he is going to get

He will want Mahomes's contract. Maybe part ownership. 

It will be fun following the game of brinkmanship.

15 hours ago, Ann said:

Bucky Brooks going over the 2018 class, specifically the first round QBs, and if they should be signed to a long-

"The Philadelphia Eagles' decision to sign Carson Wentz to a long-term extension prior to the 2019 season should serve as a cautionary tale for general managers contemplating new contracts for young quarterbacks.

That four-year, $128 million extension, which seemed like a bargain for an MVP-caliber field general at the time, suddenly looks like an albatross around the neck of the franchise. Wentz's durability concerns and on-field regression have led to much debate over whether the Eagles selected the right quarterback "

Allen was Wentz2, so many similarities. Hopefully Allen is more like a Rothlesberger2.

I would pay Allen a ton.  I wouldn't touch any of the rest of them.  I love Lamar Jackson but he has RG3 written all over him and giving him a long term deal for Top 3 QB money could likely blow the team right into long term cap hell.

• Like 2
  • FANtastic 1

On 11/21/2020 at 11:15 AM, Niagara said:

He will want Mahomes's contract. Maybe part ownership. 

It will be fun following the game of brinkmanship.

It's a predictable process.  Agents list top paid QB's.  Agents forecast future market based on rising salary cap.  Agents and GMs argue a little about where their guy fits among the top at the position and length of deal.  GM's cave as they can't give up their guy, especially a QB. 

Lamar will be very wealthy and in the NFL market he's deserving of a big contract.  He's having a slightly off year so far passing, pretty good though and over 500 yards rushing is big. 

Allen is definitely going to be worth that break the bank deal..

Hopefully they can get him to take a Marsha Cheatriot type deal where they give him a bit less than he's worth with an understanding that they'll keep renegotiating deals to keep him getting a ton of cash but still leaving cap room available to let him still have quality teammates.  (The Pegulas having a ton of other businesses probably give them the opportunity to help him (unofficially of course) have side businesses like Marsha to keep his overall income keeping up w/ the Jones, er, Mohomeses.

Expecting Baltimore will give Jackson a huge deal.  Not sure if it'll bite them in the bippy or not.

Expect Mayfield to end up with the unearned mega deal that ends up biting them.

Darnold could still become a real QB, but expect that happens at least 2 stops from now.  Best case, he's Rich Gannon.  Worse case, he's Josh Rosen.

Rosen - could have a long career as a clipboard holder if carrying 3 QBs comes back in vogue.

27 minutes ago, Ninety-4 said:

Lamar will be very wealthy and in the NFL market he's deserving of a big contract.  He's having a slightly off year so far passing, pretty good though and over 500 yards rushing is big. 

Baltimore just lost again. After big contracts most likely athlete under preforms it. Is there ever any give back??? No.

What is possible is NFL may go into a depression and economic predictability is out the window.

On 11/22/2020 at 11:07 PM, Niagara said:

Baltimore just lost again. After big contracts most likely athlete under preforms it. Is there ever any give back??? No.

What is possible is NFL may go into a depression and economic predictability is out the window.

I am starting to wonder what Lamar Jackson is going to get. Not that another team wouldn't grab him in an instant if Baltimore did not pay him, I am just curious what his contract will end up being (is his mom still his agent? Or did he get a real one?)

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
43 minutes ago, Ann said:

Wow.

If Lamar doesn’t negotiate a new contract, I expect him to be franchise tagged.

I suspect that's the Ravens end game with Lamar.

The Ravens don't want to commit to a long term deal, so franchise Lamar for a year or two until they either find a replacement or somebody offers a ton of draft picks

• Like 1
  • Wow 1