Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Reappraising the 2018 NFL Draft's hyped QB class

Ann

2 hours ago, devnull said:

I suspect that's the Ravens end game with Lamar.

The Ravens don't want to commit to a long term deal, so franchise Lamar for a year or two until they either find a replacement or somebody offers a ton of draft picks

Lamar wants $250 mil, fully guaranteed

may be waiting a while for that contract

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spartacus said:

Lamar wants $250 mil, fully guaranteed

may be waiting a while for that contract

Where did you read that?

3 minutes ago, Ann said:

Where did you read that?

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/lamar-jackson-takes-to-twitter-to-share-what-ravens-havent-offered

Jackson's reply is in line with a report that FOX Sports' Jay Glazer made on Aug. 22. The Ravens offered Jackson more money than Cardinals Pro Bowl quarterback Kyler Murray ($230.5 million), but Jackson declined the offer because he wants a fully guaranteed contract, Glazer reported.

Lamar Jackson seeking a $230M+ fully-guaranteed deal from Ravens

Emmanuel Acho contemplates if the Ravens should give into Lamar Jackson's contract demands on "Speak For Yourself."

• Like 1

Just now, Spartacus said:

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/lamar-jackson-takes-to-twitter-to-share-what-ravens-havent-offered

Jackson's reply is in line with a report that FOX Sports' Jay Glazer made on Aug. 22. The Ravens offered Jackson more money than Cardinals Pro Bowl quarterback Kyler Murray ($230.5 million), but Jackson declined the offer because he wants a fully guaranteed contract, Glazer reported.

Lamar Jackson seeking a $230M+ fully-guaranteed deal from Ravens

Emmanuel Acho contemplates if the Ravens should give into Lamar Jackson's contract demands on "Speak For Yourself."

Even at $230M instead of $250M, that is crazy (if true). 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I don't think Jackson being on two teams would be his knock. He has other issues, the second team would merely be because some team gave up a king's ransom for him. The rest is pretty accurate.

great.jpg.fc803abe4004832fa76241e2312b2097.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ann said:

I don't think Jackson being on two teams would be his knock. He has other issues, the second team would merely be because some team gave up a king's ransom for him. The rest is pretty accurate.

conclusive proof that a lot of NFL team experts can't evaluate, nor develop QB talent

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
11 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

conclusive proof that a lot of NFL team experts can't evaluate, nor develop QB talent

"Further" conclusive proof.

All anyone has to do is look at how different Daniel Jones looked last year with Daboll versus his previous career with Joe Judge.  No one was comparing the Giants skill talent/OLine favorably to the best groups in the league, yet Jones easily had the best season of his career and took his team to the playoffs.

Most NFL QBs are ruined by their franchises.  The reasons are strikingly similar:  ineffective coaching, bad personnel moves, lack of foresight, etc.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

"Further" conclusive proof.

All anyone has to do is look at how different Daniel Jones looked last year with Daboll versus his previous career with Joe Judge.  No one was comparing the Giants skill talent/OLine favorably to the best groups in the league, yet Jones easily had the best season of his career and took his team to the playoffs.

Most NFL QBs are ruined by their franchises.  The reasons are strikingly similar:  ineffective coaching, bad personnel moves, lack of foresight, etc.

I think more likely than not Allen would have fit that category in many situations.

And of course, there's the Jets. No one can be that unlucky drafting QBs, somehow one of the guys they've taken over the past 25 years must have had real potential.

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
10 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I think more likely than not Allen would have fit that category in many situations.

And of course, there's the Jets. No one can be that unlucky drafting QBs, somehow one of the guys they've taken over the past 25 years must have had real potential.

The Jets are truly a study in "how not to run a franchise".  They pretty much refuse to learn from history.

The only thing I'll say about Allen that makes him different is his refusal to give up on himself.  I don't think that's normal for a lot of people.

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
25 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

The Jets are truly a study in "how not to run a franchise".  They pretty much refuse to learn from history.

The only thing I'll say about Allen that makes him different is his refusal to give up on himself.  I don't think that's normal for a lot of people.

That, and his desire to consistently improve.  Always studying the game.  Never seeing that that with "Right Josh" or Action Jackson.  Not sure I've really seen it in Darnold or Mayfield.

• Like 4

Alaska Darin
1 minute ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

That, and his desire to consistently improve.  Always studying the game.  Never seeing that that with "Right Josh" or Action Jackson.  Not sure I've really seen it in Darnold or Mayfield.

I see all of that much the same way I look at Jack Eichel.  Success has always come easy for each of them, so now that they have to work, they're completely out of their element.

There's something to be said for having to "earn it" at each level of sport.  When it comes easy, it's much harder to overcome adversity when you're actually facing it.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

There's something to be said for having to "earn it" at each level of sport.  When it comes easy, it's much harder to overcome adversity when you're actually facing it.

I always said there are 3 things that determine ones ability to elevate at each level: talent, desire and mental aptitude. 2 out of 3 will advance most a long way up the ladder.

3 of 3 usually puts you at the highest level. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Uncle Joe said:

I always said there are 3 things that determine ones ability to elevate at each level: talent, desire and mental aptitude. 2 out of 3 will advance most a long way up the ladder.

3 of 3 usually puts you at the highest level. 

4: work ethic.  Which is related to, but different from, "desire."  You can have all the talent, desire, and mental aptitude in the world, but will go nowhere if you're indolent.

• Like 3

SquirminThurman
5 hours ago, Ann said:

Buffalo of all teams got it right.... finally hit out lottery ticket.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

That draft was loaded front to back...

This is from the Athletic, but you do not need to subscribe to listen.

Lessons learned from the 2018 NFL Draft, with Conor Orr

Five years ago, Baker Mayfield was the first pick in the NFL Draft. Saquon Barkley was the second pick. Lamar Jackson was the last player selected in the first round. The Colts hit a home run...but at what expense? Robert Mays and Sports Illustrated's Conor Orr look back at that draft, and how it can be instructive this year and in the future, on this episode of The Athletic Football Show.

On 3/16/2023 at 11:17 AM, Alaska Darin said:

Jets fans run the Jets.

Woody caves in every time.  It's why he's such a bad owner.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 4:31 PM, snafu said:

Jets fans run the Jets.

Woody caves in every time.  It's why he's such a bad owner.

Saw this Pat McAffe show where he got a call that told him Rogers might go to the Niners. Greenie nearly went apoplectic. Greatly entertaining stuff. 

Jets fans would be jumping off of the top of Trump Tower. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Nanker said:

Saw this Pat McAffe show where he got a call that told him Rogers might go to the Niners. Greenie nearly went apoplectic. Greatly entertaining stuff. 

Jets fans would be jumping off of the top of Trump Tower. 

Oh pleeeease make this happen!  My dream of Wentz to the Jets still lives!

Seriously, I can't see how Rodgers would have any interest in dealing with the NYC scene and media.  Meanwhile, his weird act would be embraced out here.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1