Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Brandon Beane's Draft History

Ann

It is generally stated that a draft takes three years to evaluate. @Niagara mentioned in the NFL thread who he thought Beane had hit on. I decided to put together a list of his three drafts (he arrived May 9, 2017, so the 2017 draft was not his).

Below is a list who was drafted the last three years. Everyone is still with the team except those colored in green. What their status is currently in the NFL comes afterward in red and blue.

Round 1
Pick 7: Josh Allen, quarterback from Wyoming
Pick 16: Tremaine Edmunds, linebacker from Virginia Tech

Round 2
nada

Round 3
Pick 96: Harrison Phillips, defensive tackle from Stanford

Round 4
Pick 121: Taron Johnson, cornerback from Weber State

Round 5
Pick 154: Siran Neal, safety from Jacksonville State
Pick 166: Wyatt Teller, offensive guard from Virginia Tech Now with the Browns (pick #188 in 2020, Tyler Bass was drafted with that pick)

Round 6
Pick 187: Ray-Ray McLoud, wide receiver from Clemson Now with the Steelers (waived)

Round 7
Pick 255: Austin Proehl, wide receiver from North Carolina (waived, bounced around on a few practice squads, now a "free agent")

Round 1
Pick No. 9: Ed Oliver, defensive tackle, University of Houston

Round 2
Pick 38: Cody Ford, offensive lineman, Oklahoma

Round 3
Pick 74: Devin "Motor" Singletary, running back, Florida Atlantic
Pick 96: Dawson Knox, tight end, Ole Miss

Round 4
Pick 147: Vosean Joseph, linebacker, Florida (IR 8/31/19, waived 9/4/20)

Round 5
nada

Round 6
Pick 181: Jaquan Johnson, safety, University of Miami
Pick 225: Darryl Johnson Jr., linebacker, North Carolina A&T
Pick 228: Tommy Sweeney, tight end, Boston College

Round 1
nada (traded for Diggs)

Round 2
Pick 54: A.J. Epenesa, defensive end, Iowa

Round 3
Pick 86: Zack Moss, running back, Utah

Round 4
Pick 128: Gabriel Davis, wide receiver, UCF

Round 5
Pick 167: Jake Fromm, quarterback, Georgia

Round 6
Pick 188: Tyler Bass, kicker, Georgia Southern
Pick 207: Isaiah Hodgins, wide receiver, Oregon State

Round 7
Pick 239: Dane Jackson, cornerback, Pittsburgh

What do you think of Beane's drafts to day?

• FANtastic 2

1 hour ago, Ann said:

I

What do you think of Beane's drafts to day?

Beane drafted Knox in the 3rd, Edmunds 1st and Oliver was a top ten. He also took Ford over TJ Metcalf and didn't replace Phillips or Star. The only draft pick out performing his draft status is Milano.  He has improved a perennial also ran but he has missed on picks, trades and free agent signings.

On the other hand, Beane has an awful lot of hits as well. The biggest being picking the right QB when others said it was the wrong choice, the other is the Diggs trade. Beane has done what others could not do, turn the franchise around while making sound cap decisions.

Gabriel Davis and Tyler Bass are the two hits in the last draft.

Edited by Niagara
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Niagara said:

Gabriel Davis and Tyler Bass are the two hits in the last draft.

I may be overly optimistic, but Dane Jackson looks like he might be pretty good, and I think it's too early to dish on Epenesa and Moss.

It's definitely a mixed bag looking at it but he got the Josh Allen pick right which was the most important.  The steps he had to take in moving up to that spot without surrendering a first rounder should be commended.  He's also intelligent enough to realize that you want to spend as little of the salary cap on the RB position as possible.  I think Singletary and Moss will be fine once our o-line is fully healthy.  

• Like 1

1.  Every team in the NFL missed on DK Metcalf at least once.  The Seahawks took TWO players in that draft BEFORE selecting Metcalf.  Where would he go now?  3rd overall behind Murray and Bosa?  How much of what he's done is because he's playing with a great veteran QB who wasn't in a huge learning curve of his own?

2.  First round picks hit at about 66% (33%ish of those players are really good/great and the rest are at least serviceable pros).  First round QBs hit at an even lower rate than that.  After the first round,  you might as well throw a dart at a board while blindfolded.

3.  Edmunds' athletic ability leaps off the page but his football intuition is low.  I blame the coaches alot for that because it appears he thinks more than he just plays (even after 2.5 seasons).  It concerned me greatly that AJ Klein appeared to be having the same struggles in our defense because he's been a better player in his career than he showed the first half of the season.

4.  Ed Oliver desperately needs a better 1-tech next to him.  DESPERATELY. 

5.  I really like Moss and Singletary.  Their "struggles" can be directly placed on the offensive line because the holes aren't there or at a minimum where they're supposed to be.  Both guys have been exceptional at making the first guy miss the majority of the time and both are willing receivers and blockers (Moss clearly needs to improve his blocking but he's not afraid to get his nose dirty).  Singletary reminds me of a bit quicker, though smaller Fred Jackson.  Speaking of FredEx, feel free to bring him back to teach the youngsters blocking because he was AWESOME at it.

6.  Knox is an enigma.  He clearly has a ton of talent but he's a bullethead.  When will Buffalo ever have a true, stud TE? 

7.  I really don't expect much from players drafted after round 3, especially on talented teams.  So honestly the most disappointing pick to me is Phillips because we really need him to be better, especially this season with Star pulling the chute.  I think the injury last season really hurt him because before that he looked like he was going to be a productive NFL player.  Since then?  JAG.  61 is clearly outplaying him.

Edited by Alaska Darin
  • Like 3

2018 is looking very good, although drafts will have a larger impact on crappy rosters which the Bills had prior.  Pegula's must be a lot happier with their Bills front office than the multiple fails over at the Sabres. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 9:28 AM, Joe said:

Metcalf.

Hard to disagree with that.  But, all of the teams passed on DK Metcalf and wished they had picked him sooner (he went in round 2, pick 64).

1 minute ago, Ann said:

Hard to disagree with that.  But, all of the teams passed on DK Metcalf and wished they had picked him sooner (he went in round 2, pick 64).

I know that.

But I wanted him in the top 10. It's just me preening a bit.

😄

• Haha 1

On 11/21/2020 at 6:45 PM, Alaska Darin said:

1.  Every team in the NFL missed on DK Metcalf at least once.  The Seahawks took TWO players in that draft BEFORE selecting Metcalf.  Where would he go now?  3rd overall behind Murray and Bosa?  How much of what he's done is because he's playing with a great veteran QB who wasn't in a huge learning curve of his own?

There were clearly more questions than answers on Metcalf at the draft, and why he slid to almost 3rd round.  In retrospect, he landed in one of few places where the QB would be clear in his role and the expectations of young WRs.  

I think it was obvious that Bills fresh on the heels of the Sammy debacle, and with a still-green Allen, did not think that Metcalf would be a good fit in '18.   It would be a different decision process if he was in the draft this year.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You Dirty Rat

If the Bills had drafted Metcalf its unlikely the Bills spend that much draft capital on Diggs

I like the way it turned out

5 minutes ago, Norm said:

If the Bills had drafted Metcalf its unlikely the Bills spend that much draft capital on Diggs

I like the way it turned out

We got Diggs AND Davis this year. Twofer.

• Like 1