Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Dolphins Chat

B-Man

Alaska Darin
On 1/1/2021 at 12:48 PM, Ann said:

With Houston's high draft pick, now definitely would be a time for Miami to contemplate picking another QB.

I am in no way a QB evaluator. Tua could remain healthy and take a Josh-like leap in his game. He reminds me of Tyrod; tentative, not going to lose you a game with a big mistake, but not going to give you that brilliant play with the game on the line either. 🤷‍♀️

It will be a courageous decision to move on so quickly from Tua but it's probably the correct one. 

I will grant that their receivers were not good today (It seemed like they had double digit drops) but when he throws the ball over 10 yards down the field it's definitely "anybody's ball".  He didn't really even face much actual pass rush today - his pocket was pretty clean most of the time.  His footwork is shoddy and he seems to really have to load up to throw the ball down the field.  Whether those things are truly fixable are the biggest questions that need to be answered.

Maybe he needs another offseason to strengthen his lower body but I don't remember being impressed with his arm strength in college.

• Cheers 1
  • FANtastic 1

54 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

It will be a courageous decision to move on so quickly from Tua but it's probably the correct one. 

I will grant that their receivers were not good today (It seemed like they had double digit drops) but when he throws the ball over 10 yards down the field it's definitely "anybody's ball".  He didn't really even face much actual pass rush today - his pocket was pretty clean most of the time.  His footwork is shoddy and he seems to really have to load up to throw the ball down the field.  Whether those things are truly fixable are the biggest questions that need to be answered.

Maybe he needs another offseason to strengthen his lower body but I don't remember being impressed with his arm strength in college.

as we know with the right Josh, it would not be unprecedented if they decided to do so.

agreed though, it would be ballsy.

• Like 2

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

He was absolutely shocking today.

It struck me in the middle of the third quarter who reminded me of:  EJ Manuel.

• Like 4

Alaska Darin
2 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

He was absolutely shocking today.

It struck me in the middle of the third quarter who reminded me of:  EJ Manuel.

He's got a better throwing motion but I've made that comparison (and the one to Tyrod) in the past.  He was a decent player on an insanely good team. Alabama literally had top level NFL talent at every skill position for Tua to roll with.  I saw a third rounder(ish), not a Top 5 guy.

• Like 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
4 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

He's got a better throwing motion but I've made that comparison (and the one to Tyrod) in the past.  He was a decent player on an insanely good team. Alabama literally had top level NFL talent at every skill position for Tua to roll with.  I saw a third rounder(ish), not a Top 5 guy.

He does have a better motion, but now that I’ve seen it, I can’t unsee it.

Alaska Darin
2 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

He does have a better motion, but now that I’ve seen it, I can’t unsee it.

When we drafted EJ, I was at my buddy's house (fellow BILLS' fan).  When his name was announced, I screamed "&#%$! I have a better throwing motion than that retard!" and threw a pillow at the wall as hard as I could.

My buddy doesn't follow college football, so he was hopeful.  Poor guy.  😄

• Haha 2

So, if the JEST pass on Fields, do the Fishies take him?

If they do, what could they get for Tua?

Alaska Darin
7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not much.  The NFL draft is so funny that way.  Teams will draft a QB at the top of the draft one season and a year or 2 later that dude is basically worthless.

If they were lucky, a 3rd.  In reality?  A 4th or 5th is about what he'd likely be moved for.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Not much.  The NFL draft is so funny that way.  Teams will draft a QB at the top of the draft one season and a year or 2 later that dude is basically worthless.

If they were lucky, a 3rd.  In reality?  A 4th or 5th is about what he'd likely be moved for.

Really not sure if am hoping they go for a lineman that busts while protecting Tua for a couple more years or seeing them admit Tua was a bad pick at 5.

Either way, three better not be a magic # for them.

Buffalo Timmy
2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

His biggest issue to me is that he has to load up to get the ball 40 yards. I don't know if that is related to his surgery and he will be able to work on it but it was bad.

Tua's still a very young guy and can certainly improve, but he was bad today.  I'm not a fan of shorter QB's and in his case he needs to add some muscle too.   That would help him. 

1 minute ago, Ninety-4 said:

Tua's still a very young guy and can certainly improve, but he was bad today.  I'm not a fan of shorter QB's and in his case he needs to add some muscle too.   That would help him. 

Am perfectly fine w/ teams in the division (other than the Bills) getting Tyrod Taylor style athletic QBs.  If they can't hit the deep ball, they have to have the D bail them out & they won't win a comeback.  

Maybe it's just onnthe hip & it'll turnout he's actually Russell Wilson; but until he isn't Tyrod Taylor, he's Tyrod.  (And will always have a soft spot for Tyrod because the drought ended with him under center.  But he's no Josh Allen.) 

• Like 2

He's lobbying for more time for Tua, that fans are too impatient. Now, while I agree that fans ARE impatient, I am not certain Tua is ever gonna be more than Tyrod Taylor. The Dolphin fans are hoping he turns into Drew Brees.

The comments are very interesting, and a lotta love for Josh Allen.

https://twitter.com/LRiddickESPN/status/1346229115800662022

Alaska Darin
56 minutes ago, Ann said:

He's lobbying for more time for Tua, that fans are too impatient. Now, while I agree that fans ARE impatient, I am not certain Tua is ever gonna be more than Tyrod Taylor. The Dolphin fans are hoping he turns into Drew Brees.

The comments are very interesting, and a lotta love for Josh Allen.

https://twitter.com/LRiddickESPN/status/1346229115800662022

It's always been that way.  The Steelers benched Terry Bradshaw for Joe Gilliam back in the day, with predictable results.  Produce or be gone.  It goes with the position.

The skill position players on the Fish don't seem to be as big a problem when Fitz is under center. 

• Like 1

RochesterRob
On 1/3/2021 at 8:16 PM, Taro T said:

The only reason for the Jets to pass on Fields is because somebody is offering an incredible package for the Jets to trade out of their spot.

Alaska Darin
2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The only reason for the Jets to pass on Fields is because somebody is offering an incredible package for the Jets to trade out of their spot.

The "only" reason?  What makes anyone seriously believe Fields is gonna finally break the OSU NFL QB curse?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

The skill position players on the Fish don't seem to be as big a problem when Fitz is under center. 

This is really the biggest truth in Miami. It's not like Fitz goes in in relief and the Fish keep sucking.

While I'm still basking in the 50-burger they hung on the Fish, a good part of me genuinely wonders how soon Tua would have been yanked last Sunday if Fitz were available. My bet is he would have started the second half. Not that it would have mattered because the #1 scoring D collapsed regardless of who was under center for the Fish.

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
31 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

This is really the biggest truth in Miami. It's not like Fitz goes in in relief and the Fish keep sucking.

While I'm still basking in the 50-burger they hung on the Fish, a good part of me genuinely wonders how soon Tua would have been yanked last Sunday if Fitz were available. My bet is he would have started the second half. Not that it would have mattered because the #1 scoring D collapsed regardless of who was under center for the Fish.

I don't know.  Keep in mind that the Fish cut it to 28-13 right outta the locker room and then kept us from scoring on our first drive.  Norman got the Pick 6 on the ensuing Fish drive and that pretty much ended the day.  You could really tell after that play that they knew they were done. 

I don't know if Fitz can bring them all the way back but the odds of it are off the charts compared to Tua.

Edited by Alaska Darin
  • Like 1

Chandemonium
12 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Anyone who is bored...

This thread is what it means to be a fan.

The Tua delusion is so awesome. 

I didn’t read through that thread, but I’ve spent enough time over there browsing in the couple days since the beat down to notice that many of the poster who are still on the Tua bandwagon are pointing to Allen as evidence why it’s too early to give up on Tua. I just don’t see the comparison. At his absolute worst as a rookie, it was obvious from the jump that Allen had elite physical tools. Once you watched him play more than a couple snaps, it was also obvious that his intangible desire to lead and win was also elite. The question marks were if he could fix his accuracy/mechanics and learn to read defenses at an NFL level. 3 years later the answer is a resounding yes.  Tua’s physical tools aren’t in the same league as Allen’s, but more importantly I don’t see that all our desire to be a leader and win from him. To be fair I’ve only seen one whole game of his which was easily the low point of his season, plus bits of some others so it’s not the best sample, but Sunday he looked flat out looked like he wanted to be rescued, and in the bits of other games I’ve seen he’s looked kinda indifferent.

• Like 2