Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Dolphins Chat

B-Man

Alaska Darin
15 minutes ago, Chandemonium said:

I didn’t read through that thread, but I’ve spent enough time over there browsing in the couple days since the beat down to notice that many of the poster who are still on the Tua bandwagon are pointing to Allen as evidence why it’s too early to give up on Tua. I just don’t see the comparison. At his absolute worst as a rookie, it was obvious from the jump that Allen had elite physical tools. Once you watched him play more than a couple snaps, it was also obvious that his intangible desire to lead and win was also elite. The question marks were if he could fix his accuracy/mechanics and learn to read defenses at an NFL level. 3 years later the answer is a resounding yes.  Tua’s physical tools aren’t in the same league as Allen’s, but more importantly I don’t see that all our desire to be a leader and win from him. To be fair I’ve only seen one whole game of his which was easily the low point of his season, plus bits of some others so it’s not the best sample, but Sunday he looked flat out looked like he wanted to be rescued, and in the bits of other games I’ve seen he’s looked kinda indifferent.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  Josh is a total gamer - he doesn't care if you punch him in the mouth, he's gonna get up and try to knock your head off.  The physical stuff is the icing on the cake but you can't teach heart/moxy.   We're going to find out a lot about Tua this offseason.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2021 at 4:57 PM, Alaska Darin said:

When we drafted EJ, I was at my buddy's house (fellow BILLS' fan).  When his name was announced, I screamed "&#%$! I have a better throwing motion than that retard!" and threw a pillow at the wall as hard as I could.

My buddy doesn't follow college football, so he was hopeful.  Poor guy.  😄

It still baffles me how anyone could have watched EJ play at FSU and thought he was a future NFL starter.

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

Anyone who is bored...

This thread is what it means to be a fan.

The Tua delusion is so awesome. 

I see they are hanging their hats on the "record as a starter" metric that was so popular in Buffalo during the Tyrod days.

Alaska Darin
2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

It still baffles me how anyone could have watched EJ play at FSU and thought he was a future NFL starter.

I see they are hanging their hats on the "record as a starter" metric that was so popular in Buffalo during the Tyrod days.

Right on both of those.  I would have signed EJ to an undrafted free agent type deal or thought about using a 7th but a first?  Are you kidding?

I love analytics as much as anyone but I'm still like Belichick.- my eyes tell me things your spreadsheet covers up.  Tyrod never won a game in Buffalo but there were a bunch he didn't lose.  That is fine for a backup who has to replace your starter if you're a good team but he's never going consistently beat good teams when it matters.  Every year he came back as exactly the same guy.

1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

Right on both of those.  I would have signed EJ to an undrafted free agent type deal or thought about using a 7th but a first?  Are you kidding?

I love analytics as much as anyone but I'm still like Belichick.- my eyes tell me things your spreadsheet covers up.  Tyrod never won a game in Buffalo but there were a bunch he didn't lose.  That is fine for a backup who has to replace your starter if you're a good team but he's never going consistently beat good teams when it matters.  Every year he came back as exactly the same guy.

Tyrod was a perfect fit for a team whose high water mark for QBs this century was a washed up Drew Bledsoe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chandemonium said:

I didn’t read through that thread, but I’ve spent enough time over there browsing in the couple days since the beat down to notice that many of the poster who are still on the Tua bandwagon are pointing to Allen as evidence why it’s too early to give up on Tua. I just don’t see the comparison. At his absolute worst as a rookie, it was obvious from the jump that Allen had elite physical tools. Once you watched him play more than a couple snaps, it was also obvious that his intangible desire to lead and win was also elite. The question marks were if he could fix his accuracy/mechanics and learn to read defenses at an NFL level. 3 years later the answer is a resounding yes.  Tua’s physical tools aren’t in the same league as Allen’s, but more importantly I don’t see that all our desire to be a leader and win from him. To be fair I’ve only seen one whole game of his which was easily the low point of his season, plus bits of some others so it’s not the best sample, but Sunday he looked flat out looked like he wanted to be rescued, and in the bits of other games I’ve seen he’s looked kinda indifferent.

The "Josh sucked his rookie year" mantra seems to come from the people who never watched Buffalo Bills football in 2018. They genuinely do not know that most college teams have better talent than what was surrounding Josh his rookie year (not that much of an exaggeration). Add to that his lack of coaching throughout college, and well, it isn't comparable to Tua's rookie year.

I wish them the best (except when it comes to playing the Bills). I can see what Miami is doing, and they are two years behind the Bills in a team build. I am not certain that for the 2022 season they will have the same expectations the 2020 Bills did (win the division) with Tua behind center.

41 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Their "Why did the Bills run the score up?" thread was pretty funny as well.

I will say there were a lot of very reasonable Dolphins fans pointing out it was against the Bills back-ups.  They also pointed out the time out with 8/9 minutes left (I was screaming at the TV for that), and how it was a practice squad guy that came out and ran against them.

One person astutely pointed out that the real question was why the Bills second string offense was able to slap a very good defense around - a defense that was playing for a play-off spot. 

Chandemonium
17 minutes ago, Ann said:

I will say there were a lot of very reasonable Dolphins fans pointing out it was against the Bills back-ups.  They also pointed out the time out with 8/9 minutes left (I was screaming at the TV for that), and how it was a practice squad guy that came out and ran against them.

One person astutely pointed out that the real question was why the Bills second string offense was able to slap a very good defense around - a defense that was playing for a play-off spot. 

I don’t even mind that Miami used its timeouts. Week 17 playing for a playoff spot they should play to win until the final whistle no matter how long the odds IMO, and part of that is the coaching staff using TO’s to manage the clock. The problem is you can’t approach the game with that philosophy, but then get mad when your opponent also stays aggressive and isn’t content to run 3 halfback dives for 5 yards then punt the ball back to you. 

Edited by Chandemonium

1 minute ago, Chandemonium said:

I don’t even mind that Miami used its timeouts. Week 17 playing for a playoff spot they should play to win until the final whistle no matter how long the odds IMO, and part of that is the coaching staff using TO’s to manage the clock. The problem is you can’t approach the game with that philosophy, but get mad when your opponent also stays aggressive and isn’t content to run 3 halfback dives for 5 yards then punt the ball back to you. 

That's the point. Once they used a timeout to play to win, did these fans expect Buffalo should have laid down and said, "Oh, ok?"  The timeout was a signal that it was still game on, so no more running out the clock mode for Buffalo.

1 minute ago, Chandemonium said:

So the report that Gailey was fired yesterday was incorrect?

Yes, ESPN  RTed a fake Adam Schefter account. You know, Adam Schefter who works for ESPN. :classic_blink:

• Haha 4

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

Agreed.  There were 3 or 4 dudes who understood that taking the timeouts and blitzing meant the Fish were breaking the rules of decorum and got what they were asking for.  The rest were like a buncha pre-pubescent girls trying to sync cycles in the locker room.

Edited by Alaska Darin
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

I had to go look.....'running up the score' with Matt Barkley, a #5 WR and a RB who had never stepped on an NFL field before?   I guess we were supposed to start taking a knee mid-way through the second quarter.

:classic_laugh::classic_laugh::classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Agreed.  There were 3 or 4 dudes who understood that taking the timeouts and blitzing meant the Fish were breaking the rules of decorum and got what they were asking for.  

I think those were all Bills fans.  😀

• Haha 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
11 hours ago, Ann said:

Looks like they are not picking a QB with #3:

https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero/status/1346547052768075779

This was never a question for me. The investment Flores and Grier made in Tua guaranteed it. You can’t spend that much capital on a guy, hang your season on him, and then flush the toilet after 9 games and expect to keep your job.

How could ownership possibly trust you with a second decision like this in two years, given a first one that was so poor.

Grier and Flores live and die with Tua.

BuffaloHokie13

I think the biggest arguments for Tua are, in no particular order, that his OL and supporting cast are below average, and he spent his rookie prep and the beginning of the season rehabbing from his hip surgery rather than fully training. If the dolphins are smart they will use their picks to bolster the OL and WR corps, put Tua through a true off-season training program, unload Fitz so he's not looking over his shoulder, and see how he fares next year.