Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Dolphins Chat

B-Man

10 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I think the biggest arguments for Tua are, in no particular order, that his OL and supporting cast are below average, and he spent his rookie prep and the beginning of the season rehabbing from his hip surgery rather than fully training. If the dolphins are smart they will use their picks to bolster the OL and WR corps, put Tua through a true off-season training program, unload Fitz so he's not looking over his shoulder, and see how he fares next year.

The flipside of that argument is why did they trade Tunsil & Stills?

To me, the only rationale for sticking with Tua is if they think he's still not 100% recovered from his injury and that's why he doesn't have the full strength to drive the ball. 

BuffaloHokie13
4 minutes ago, GG1 said:

The flipside of that argument is why did they trade Tunsil & Stills?

To me, the only rationale for sticking with Tua is if they think he's still not 100% recovered from his injury and that's why he doesn't have the full strength to drive the ball. 

Stills is a practice squad player 😁

The trade was clearly to build the way the wanted, imo. Kinda like us dropping Sammy and Darby for Matthews and Gaines, and even Cordy Glenn.

There's no real downside to building up the offense around him a bit. Just makes a better situation for a new QB if Tuas sophomore year is more of the same. I'm going to laugh though if the 1st round delivers reunions of Smith & Tua and Chase & Burrow.

3 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Also:

Probably for the best. Chan's offense works for Fitz, it clearly didn't work for Tua.

Of course, throwing obvious WR screens on third and long wasn't a great example of playcalling either.

Alaska Darin
11 minutes ago, Koko said:

Probably for the best. Chan's offense works for Fitz, it clearly didn't work for Tua.

Of course, throwing obvious WR screens on third and long wasn't a great example of playcalling either.

You can only call what Tua can execute.  Chan's play calling was just fine when Fitz was throwing for 158 yards in the 4th quarter against the Raiders.

Chan is a GREAT OC. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Koko said:

It was genuinely weird for me to watch them keep calling those WR screens over and over. And by weird, I mean it was obvious even to me that Chan had no intention of trying to make Tua do something other than all he can do. It was an early white flag, and if I were a Fish fan I'd have been swinging from a rope during the game.

Alaska Darin
4 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

It was genuinely weird for me to watch them keep calling those WR screens over and over. And by weird, I mean it was obvious even to me that Chan had no intention of trying to make Tua do something other than all he can do. It was an early white flag, and if I were a Fish fan I'd have been swinging from a rope during the game.

Imagine watching him complete a 40 yard pass down the field on a ball that came down with rain on it.  If Levi Wallace had any ball skills at all, that thing woulda landed in his lap.

I read through that Fish thread between Herbert and Tua and they kept talking about his accuracy.  Everyone is accurate when all they're ever throwing is passes to basically stationary targets within 10 yards of the spot they're standing.  Once he has to throw the ball to a moving target beyond that distance, there's no telling where that thing's ending up.  His footwork is garbage.

Can he be saved?   Hard to say because he's not super athletic and has never had to be more than a cog in the wheel.  That's just not how it works in the NFL.

34 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

You can only call what Tua can execute.  Chan's play calling was just fine when Fitz was throwing for 158 yards in the 4th quarter against the Raiders.

Chan is a GREAT OC. 

I don't disagree with this, especially that Chan is a very good OC. He's proven it over the past few decades.

I realize that he limited the calling to what Tua could do, but it was still not great playcalling in those situations. You have to fight with the army you have, and all, but I think he should have been more aggressive in the 3rd-and-long situations.

Alaska Darin
3 minutes ago, Koko said:

I don't disagree with this, especially that Chan is a very good OC. He's proven it over the past few decades.

I realize that he limited the calling to what Tua could do, but it was still not great playcalling in those situations. You have to fight with the army you have, and all, but I think he should have been more aggressive in the 3rd-and-long situations.

I'd have to go back and look more closely at the Fish offense in the game, because it was really forgettable.  They got within 2 scores in the second half and Tua threw that pick-6 to Norman.  He was pretty rattled after that but they did hold the ball on the next drive for like 10 plays.  I think that one ended on downs with the key play being Neal getting a finger on a pretty good long 3rd down pass.

Chan's margin for error with Tua is pretty much none.  If it's 3rd and long, you just have to assume you're punting. 

My biggest takeaway from the BILLS' defense for the entire day was someone obviously said something to #49 during the week because the dude was bringing the wood.

8 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

If it's 3rd and long, you just have to assume you're punting. 

That seems to be the trend for whoever is playing offense against this Bills D in the last month last month. I mentioned in, I think, Virgil's thread that the Bill's held the Steelers to 1 of 10 on third down conversions. I believe the Fish went O'fer.

Found this Maiorana article published after the Pittsburgh game talking about it more.

In the first eight games, the Bills were allowing third-down conversions at an alarming rate of 50% (44 of 88), and not surprisingly, their point differential was minus-1 despite their 6-2 record. In the last five games (four wins and that horrific Hail Murray loss to Arizona), the numbers have changed dramatically. The Bills are allowing a 29% conversion rate and correspondingly, their point differential is plus-39.

In the beginning of the season, it felt like any offense facing third and long vs the Bills were soon to be punting, but lately it's been virtually ANY third down, regardless of distance. Massive turnaround at just the right time.

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

Chan is a GREAT OC. 

Also the reason that many thought Daboll was incompetent in '18 and most of '19.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Alaska Darin
18 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

That seems to be the trend for whoever is playing offense against this Bills D in the last month last month. I mentioned in, I think, Virgil's thread that the Bill's held the Steelers to 1 of 10 on third down conversions. I believe the Fish went O'fer.

Found this Maiorana article published after the Pittsburgh game talking about it more.

In the beginning of the season, it felt like any offense facing third and long vs the Bills were soon to be punting, but lately it's been virtually ANY third down, regardless of distance. Massive turnaround at just the right time.

Which could have as much to do with the quality of opponent as anything.  San Diego, Pittsburgh, Denver, New England, San Francisco, and Miami aren't exactly the best offenses in the NFL.

Granted, you can only beat the teams on your schedule but I'm very wary of the BILLS' defense against the better teams.  We'll see how they fair against the Colts (who aren't a great offensive team but they do run the ball very well when they're committed to it).

Stopping the run is my biggest concern about The Bills D here in the playoffs. They’re average at best. 

Jumping out to a big early lead will take away Indy’s ground game. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Ann said:

This could be the next Kelly-Marino if it happens. Right down to Watson throwing for more impressive stats most years, but being Allen’s whipping boy 2-3 times per year. Could be fun. 

...who am I kidding, Allen will have the better throwing stats AND make Watson his whipping boy 2-3 times per year. 😎

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I can't imagine that Houston would consider Tua much of an asset, they would still want two firsts plus more I would think. Also houston can just throw a few dollars wherever he wants it and call it a day.

I can't figure out why anyone would even take Tua.  To even talk about getting Watson you're going to have to START at both Miami firsts this season, next year's first, and probably an additional second and third. 

From Miami's perspective it might be worth it but selling that to Texans' fans after what's gone on there over the last couple of seasons wouldn't be easy.

8 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Three-way trade.  Watson to Miami, Tua and Miami's 3rd round pick to Buffalo, Allen and Buffalo's next two firsts to Houston.  [/ATOP]

I'm only doing that deal if we can get Bill O'Brien and Brian Gaine to run the BILLS. [/ATOP]

Edited by Alaska Darin

12 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Three-way trade.  Watson to Miami, Tua and Miami's 3rd round pick to Buffalo, Allen and Buffalo's next two firsts to Houston.  [/ATOP]

🤮