Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Foodies: Recipes, Restaurants and Rants

bdutton

On 2/1/2021 at 10:40 AM, plenzmd1 said:

Going to try and gain some rooom in the  freezer this week by only using things in there.. Today i am thawing out skin on, bone in chicken thighs. Anybody with some fresh ideas or recipes?

No grilling, smoking or frying though. Was thinking of some of these oven baked "fried" recipes, but hard to believe they any good!

Check out Chicken Marbella recipes. 

Made burgers last night, with a warm pasta salad. Burgers had herbed goat cheese, pickled onions, tomato jam and garlic aioli. Burgers done in cast iron grill pan on grill. Great crust, but I overcooked .. again! I suck at cooking burgers!

• Like 2

On 7/20/2021 at 7:45 AM, plenzmd1 said:

Made burgers last night, with a warm pasta salad. Burgers had herbed goat cheese, pickled onions, tomato jam and garlic aioli. Burgers done in cast iron grill pan on grill. Great crust, but I overcooked .. again! I suck at cooking burgers!

Cook just until the juices run clear (very little red).

• Like 1

CarpetCrawler
1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Alabama White sauce based chicken BBQ sammys, corn salad. 

Damn, you eat well.

• Like 1

CarpetCrawler
9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

My life is boring, I golf and cook. And Drink. 

What are you doing this weekend?

8 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

What are you doing this weekend?

Golfing and cooking.. and cause it’s the weekend maybe a little hoochie coochie😜

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • FANtastic 1

So I went to the fish store (Pacific Ocean) last Thursday and Friday to trade in my herring surplus for some halibut.
Most of the halibut we caught were on the smaller side. So I made one one my tried and true recipes for fresh halibut - in the fish grill over charcoal with garlic and butter. It was ok. but the filets were a little thin for those nice fresh grilled halibut flakes that I like.

So tonight I took out one of those leftover halibut mini slabs and made a fishwich - it was wonderful.
I'm sure the blue agave influenced this food review, 😀🍹

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Had Sous Vide double cut pork loin chops seared over chimney starter of apple wood chunks...on sale at Whole Foods, dry brined for 6 hours, 140 for 90 minutes...seared over smoking hot coals...and they came out mealy. Really disappointed...wonder if the dry brine did something to them. I mean 90 minutes in the bath should not change the texture like that.

Oh well, we still were fed...lots worse in the world.

• Like 2

CarpetCrawler
21 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Had Sous Vide double cut pork loin chops seared over chimney starter of apple wood chunks...on sale at Whole Foods, dry brined for 6 hours, 140 for 90 minutes...seared over smoking hot coals...and they came out mealy. Really disappointed...wonder if the dry brine did something to them. I mean 90 minutes in the bath should not change the texture like that.

Oh well, we still were fed...lots worse in the world.

I found this at BarbecueBible.com regarding pork:

Don't brine too long (2-4 hours is enough) or the meat can take on a mushy texture. 

• Like 3

MothersMilk
18 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

I found this at BarbecueBible.com regarding pork:

Very true, especially if using mojo... the orange in it basically begins the cooking process.

• Like 1

Vacca Frita last night. Cuban Shredded Beef. Grilled peppers for veggie.  Freaking delish, although rice was a bit crunchy. Wife was in charge of that though! 

great meal with a cheap cut of beef. I use frozen chuck , sure hope they go on sale again sometime soon as my frozen stash is getting low! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, B-Man said:

That fry sauce sounds interesting. Everywhere I've seen in before it's just ketchup and mayo mixed together.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ann said:

@plenzmd1 have you been on a diet!?

haha...been eating out a lot lately! Has a pizza cheesesteak at the Sidewalk Cafe next to my house two nights ago, had a nice brick chicken at The Smith in DC last night...

Tonight is homemade chicken tenders..( secret is coating in buttered panko) with a pineapple/apricot salsa and mexican street style corn! The corn is the Alexa one from the frozen box, pretty damn good if you see it in your grocery..i add some jalepeno and red bell pepper to it.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1