Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2021 Hall of Fame Candidates [Class Announced]

Ann

2 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I just don't get the Zach Thomas love.

Very good player, but Hall of Fame..............nope.

I thought I was the only one.

Bennett I can see either way but Tasker belongs.  Maybe he needs to identify as a QB to make it.

• Like 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
  • Jared Allen, DE – 2004-2007 Kansas City Chiefs, 2008-2013 Minnesota Vikings, 2014-2015 Chicago Bears, 2015 Carolina Panthers

This is an easy “yes” for me. 5 time pro-bowl, 4 time all-pro, 12 all time in sacks.

• Ronde Barber, DB – 1997-2012 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Ronde is a “maybe eventually” guy. 5 pro-bowls, 3 all-pro, and a Super Bowl ring. 16 years with the same team as a starter, and a great one for a handful of years; but not quite enough to be considered elite.

• Tony Boselli, T -- 1995-2001 Jacksonville Jaguars, 2002 Houston Texans (injured reserve)

Absolutely not. Boselli was a monster for maybe four seasons, but only played six, and 3 of the were partial. That’s not nearly enough.

• LeRoy Butler, S -- 1990-2001 Green Bay Packers

See “Ronde Barber”. Same exact case. 4 pro-bowls, 4 time all-pro, has a ring, 12 year career with the same team. Good player who had some great years, but just not quite enough of them.

• Alan Faneca, G -- 1998-2007 Pittsburgh Steelers, 2008-09 New York Jets, 2010 Arizona Cardinals

Maybe, other than Manning, the most obvious “yes” on the list. 9 time pro-bowler, 6 time all-pro, has a ring, arguably the best guard of the aughts. PFR’s HOF monitor has his score at 139.73, ranking him as the 4th best guard of all time.

• Torry Holt, WR -- 1999-2008 St. Louis Rams, 2009 Jacksonville Jaguars
  •  
  • I don’t think so. I loved Holt as a player, but I don’t know that he was ever the best receiver on his own team. He was prolific in terms of yards, but was only a 1 time all-pro in an era littered with great receivers. Pro-Football Reference’s grades for 10 most similar careers only contains 3 Hall of Famers. 

• Calvin Johnson, WR – 2007-2015 Detroit Lions

Yes, but not this year because his career was short, however unlike Boselli, he went out in his own terms, and went to the pro-bowl in 6 of his 9 seasons (3 all-pro) in addition to being named to the team of the decade. The type of player who could take over a game and demanded triple coverage at times.

• John Lynch, FS -- 1993-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2004-07 Denver Broncos

I don’t think he’s a HOFer. He was very good for a handful of years, and pretty good for another handful, but was only great for two. I think he’s vastly overrated, but he’ll probably be elected at some point because of how he’s stayed around the game in a high profile capacity.

• Peyton Manning, QB – 1998-2011 Indianapolis Colts, 2012-2015 Denver Broncos

Let’s not be stupid.

• Clay Matthews, LB – 1978-1993 Cleveland Browns, 1994-1996 Atlanta Falcons

No. No. No. A pretty good player who played 19 years in a position that you’re not supposed to play 5 in, but was never great. Probably the worst player on this list.

• Sam Mills, LB -- 1986-1994 New Orleans Saints, 1995-97 Carolina Panthers

A mirror case of Matthews. If you include his USFL years, he played in 19 seasons, and  unlike Matthews he had a couple of great ones, but it’s not nearly enough.

• Richard Seymour, DE/DT -- 2001-08 New England *Patriots, 2009-2012 Oakland Raiders

&#%$ Richard Seymour, but his 7 pro-bowls, 3 all-pros, and 3 rings probably get him in eventually.

• Zach Thomas, LB -- 1996-2007 Miami Dolphins, 2008 Dallas Cowboys

I was never a huge Thomas fan, though others must have been as he was a 7 time pro-bowler, and a 5 time all-pro, as well as being included on the all-decade team.  PFR grades him out as an average HOF linebacker amongst current inductees. He’s getting in.

• Reggie Wayne, WR -- 2001-2014 Indianapolis Colts

Similar to Holt in many ways, but I think Wayne was slightly a cut about because of his counting numbers. He’s 10th in both receptions and yards, and 25th in receiving TDs. I think the line is probably between Wayne and Holt with Wayne getting in, and Holt outside looking through the glass.

• Charles Woodson, DB – 1998-2005, 2013-2015 Oakland Raiders, 2006-2012 Green Bay Packers

Only the third obvious choice for this years ballot. Others are deserving but won’t get in until later, Woodson joins a class that includes follow all-time greats Peyton Manning and Alan Faneca. 9 pro-bowl, 4 all-pro selections, a ring, 5th all time in interceptions, graded out as the 7th best DB of all time.

• Like 4

My guess is it's going to be:

Peyton

Allen

Faneca

Woodson

and either Holt, Boselli, or Seymour

Megatron will get told to wait his turn with some BS excuse about the 'WR logjam'.

I don't know enough about the older players to see who gets in with the legacy nonsense.

Edited by Koko
  • Like 1

Chandemonium

Anyone here old enough to remember Charlie Hennigan? I was curious where Diggs’ season ranked on the all time list for single season receiving yards so I did some looking on pro football reference. Turns out he’s #36. Most of the guys above him were household names, or at least guys you would have heard of if you’ve followed football since the 90’s. Then there was this Hennigan guy from the Oilers in the 60’s I’ve never heard of who has 2 of the top 35 seasons for receiving yards, including the #6 all time season when he had over 1700 yards in a 14 game season in 1961, which was the record for 34 years. I did some more research on him, and it turns out he’s never even been a semi finalist for the HOF, which looking at his numbers seems absurd to me, especially considering the era he played in. I’m guessing the 2 factors working against him are that he played in the AFL and his career was kind of short. Anyone know any more about this guy?

• 5 weeks later...